Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tool for adjusting rear suspension? (Read 307 times)
newb_Jack
Ex Member

Tool for adjusting rear suspension?
05/14/13 at 21:43:49

What kind of tool do you use to adjust the rear shocks and how do you check to see that they're are both on the same setting?

I'm starting to ride 2up and need to stiffen these babies up.  Wink

Thanks!

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Re: Tool for adjusting rear suspension?
Reply #1 - 05/14/13 at 22:03:17

I used an allen wrench but definitely need a more permanent tool. It hurt.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #2 - 05/14/13 at 22:30:13

A reasonably long piece of round steel the same size as the adjusting hole.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #3 - 05/15/13 at 01:43:20

If you look up into the bottom of the shock you will be able to see the adjuster and which step it is on. Might be easier to see in a garage with a drop light. Pull the shocks off and adjust them one at a time if you have to. Getting a friend to lift up on the back of the bike a little will help.

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 05/15/13 at 06:01:21

[quote]Pull the shocks off and adjust them one at a time if you have to. [quote/]

I second that. Probably going to have to take at least one off anyway on account of the adjusting hole facing the wheel, making it just about impossible to get a tool in there. It's a lot easier to see what you're doing with them off the bike. I just use a three foot hunk of two by four between the tire and fender to to lift the fender so I can slide the shock back on the studs. (Just take them off one at a time.) I weigh about 165 and have mine on the third step - for two up you're probably going to have to crank them all the way to five.

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #5 - 05/15/13 at 06:21:05

jackedmusic wrote on 05/14/13 at 21:43:49:
What kind of tool do you use to adjust the rear shocks and how do you check to see that they're are both on the same setting?

I'm starting to ride 2up and need to stiffen these babies up.  Wink

Thanks!

I used the Phillips end of a regular/Phillips offset screwdriver. Was pretty easy to adjust both sides without having to remove anything.

- David
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #6 - 05/15/13 at 08:06:49

I used the Phillips end of this angled screwdriver that I had to adjust mine without taking anything off either...

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 05/15/13 at 10:10:36

A squirt of oil on the lug cant hurt

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 05/15/13 at 10:15:36

Bare hands...   Grrrr!.. Arrrgg!... Angry...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
newb_Jack
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/15/13 at 15:38:20

Serowbot wrote on 05/15/13 at 10:15:36:
Bare hands...   Grrrr!.. Arrrgg!... Angry...

Grin Roll Eyes

Thanks for the input everyone! I guess anything that fits is good enough. Doesn't seem like there's a specific measurement. Just one of those muscle up and get it done jobs, eh?

I'll see if any of the various screw drivers I have fit the hole.  There's a dirty joke somewhere in there...  I'm not that clever.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 05/15/13 at 17:48:50

Best tool for adjusting the rear suspension for 2 up riding? Credit card. Get a set of VS800 take offs or the Progressive brand equivalent. Check the bike breakers that sell on e-bay, stock 800 Intruder take offs should be cheap.

The stock Savage shocks are 2 inches too short for a Savage. Stock 800 Intruder shocks are 2+ inches too long for an Intruder. I have a Savage, my wife Lisa has an 800 Intruder, we swapped shocks and both bikes have 1000x better ride and handling. To the point my solo seat since 2000 is getting a 2 up seat (Kawasaki) put back on it, passenger pegs (Honda) put back on it, and a roughly 3' tall sissybar (1970s KZ900 aftermarket) added.

Girlfriend doesn't like riding bit*h on my wife's bike...  Grin

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #11 - 05/16/13 at 05:57:48

[quote author=5967666A7864650B0 link=1368593029/0#4 date=1368622881] Quote:
Pull the shocks off and adjust them one at a time if you have to. [quote/]

I second that. Probably going to have to take at least one off anyway on account of the adjusting hole facing the wheel, making it just about impossible to get a tool in there. It's a lot easier to see what you're doing with them off the bike. I just use a three foot hunk of two by four between the tire and fender to to lift the fender so I can slide the shock back on the studs. (Just take them off one at a time.) I weigh about 165 and have mine on the third step - for two up you're probably going to have to crank them all the way to five.

If the adjusting hole is on the inside, the chances are someone installed it the wrong way. Just take it off, turn it around, and put it back.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 05/16/13 at 07:05:07

WD wrote on 05/15/13 at 17:48:50:
Girlfriend doesn't like riding bit*h on my wife's bike...  Grin

Shocked

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #13 - 05/16/13 at 08:31:42

LOL

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #14 - 05/16/13 at 11:17:51

[quote author=1E353C2F32335D0 link=1368593029/0#11 date=1368709068]oldNslow wrote on 05/15/13 at 06:01:21:
Quote:
Pull the shocks off and adjust them one at a time if you have to. [quote/]

If the adjusting hole is on the inside, the chances are someone installed it the wrong way. Just take it off, turn it around, and put it back.

Yer probably right. But once I took the backwards one off, I discovered that at my age it was easier to turn it upside down and adjust it while I could look down inside the chrome cover, rather than lay on the ground and try to look up in there to see the notches. So I just pulled the other one off and did it the same way Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 02:51:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tool for adjusting rear suspension?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.