Send Topic Print
97mm Piston (Read 1432 times)
zx250r
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: 97mm Piston
Reply #60 - 06/04/13 at 14:06:52

did you decide on the carbide treatment for the cylinder?

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #61 - 06/04/13 at 14:09:30

No I didn't in the end, only because it wasn't a option for me.

IP Logged
zx250r
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #62 - 06/04/13 at 14:25:18

Thanks. Lastly, do you feel a need for the cam and which jetting did you settle for? Are you sea level? Besides cylinder, gasket, jetting, and assembly is anything else needed? Also what compression is the kit, ie which octane gas/petrol would be used? sorry for soo many questions.

paulmarshall wrote on 06/04/13 at 14:09:30:
No I didn't in the end, only because it wasn't a option for me.

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #63 - 06/04/13 at 14:37:18

The cam is something I may look at later.
I am close to sea level.
I was running 55,155 jets. White spacer mod. Pod air filter and modded exhaust. This was done prior to the piston.
Lancer is the man to talk to about the tech stuff.
I only installed this piston the other week. So I am still running it in.

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #64 - 06/04/13 at 14:38:15

But feel free to ask and if I can I will help.

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #65 - 06/04/13 at 14:46:38

The power increase is enormous and I mean ENORMOUS.

IP Logged
zx250r
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #66 - 06/06/13 at 11:28:07

Hi Lancer, I'm in the process of the build, can you tell me what the specs are for the cam grind for low/midrange in the 97mm set up? Or do you have an extra one for sale?

LANCER wrote on 05/01/13 at 19:37:13:
Dave wrote on 05/01/13 at 19:21:25:
The Silicone Carbide Treatment makes the cylinder wall very hard.  It is supposed to be a worthy upgrade.  It is not a power upgrade - but a durability one.

Friction and heat reduction is also a benefit, which does yield more efficiency.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #67 - 06/08/13 at 05:40:54

paulmarshall wrote on 06/04/13 at 14:46:38:

PaulMarshall:

The power increase is not just because of the change from 94mm to 97 mm.....that gives you a size increase from 652 cc to 695 cc.  This is about a 6% increase in size - so if the stock bike is 30 hp you potentially could just up to 31.9 hp.  The biggest change you might be realizing is the jump from 8.5 compression to something round 10.  This makes the engine much more efficient at the expense of using Premium fuel.

You have been talking about the increase heat......and I am not sure this will increase dramatically.  The bore has increased 6%...but the circumference has only increased 3%.  I don't believe the higher compression ratio will make much difference in heat - as it is the greater expansion ratio that results in more power....not the creation of any substantial increase in the heat produced.      

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #68 - 06/08/13 at 12:09:50

Dave wrote on 06/08/13 at 05:40:54:
paulmarshall wrote on 06/04/13 at 14:46:38:

PaulMarshall:

The power increase is not just because of the change from 94mm to 97 mm.....that gives you a size increase from 652 cc to 695 cc.  This is about a 6% increase in size - so if the stock bike is 30 hp you potentially could just up to 31.9 hp.  The biggest change you might be realizing is the jump from 8.5 compression to something round 10.  This makes the engine much more efficient at the expense of using Premium fuel.

You have been talking about the increase heat......and I am not sure this will increase dramatically.  The bore has increased 6%...but the circumference has only increased 3%.  I don't believe the higher compression ratio will make much difference in heat - as it is the greater expansion ratio that results in more power....not the creation of any substantial increase in the heat produced.      

Thanks for the info Dave. I do really hope any negative side effects are negligible as you say here.Time will tell.
I still have only done 150km so far.  Embarrassed

IP Logged
LA_Waiting
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

California
Reply #69 - 08/05/13 at 12:40:03

paulmarshall wrote on 05/01/13 at 12:10:49:
I have been able to find the last remaining Wiseco 97mm Piston in NZ.According to my local bike shop.
I have sent my 400 cylinder head and piston away for a resleeve.
I have ordered the gaskets to assemble.
Might port the exhaust, but otherwise leave the Head stock and upgrade cam later. Want to see improved performance with Piston upgrade alone.

Can anyone share there experience with doing this?
I will post pics as soon as cylinder head returns.

Hey new guy here who has too few posts to start his own thread. I'm looking to rebuild my engine with 97mm Wiseco piston and have cylinder resleeved. I understand that these pistons are quite obscure to find. Is 4597M09700 the correct model number? I have found this exact model number for our bikes on multiple sites that sell Wiseco Pistons. Aside from doing a blanket order of 12 pistons direct from Wiseco I am not 100% sure they are exact ones.

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #70 - 08/05/13 at 12:46:40

LA_Waiting wrote on 08/05/13 at 12:40:03:
paulmarshall wrote on 05/01/13 at 12:10:49:
I have been able to find the last remaining Wiseco 97mm Piston in NZ.According to my local bike shop.
I have sent my 400 cylinder head and piston away for a resleeve.
I have ordered the gaskets to assemble.
Might port the exhaust, but otherwise leave the Head stock and upgrade cam later. Want to see improved performance with Piston upgrade alone.

Can anyone share there experience with doing this?
I will post pics as soon as cylinder head returns.

Hey new guy here who has too few posts to start his own thread. I'm looking to rebuild my engine with 97mm Wiseco piston and have cylinder resleeved. I understand that these pistons are quite obscure to find. Is 4597M09700 the correct model number? I have found this exact model number for our bikes on multiple sites that sell Wiseco Pistons. Aside from doing a blanket order of 12 pistons direct from Wiseco I am not 100% sure they are exact ones.

Looks right to me. Wink

IP Logged
axa

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #71 - 11/19/13 at 14:38:02

As stated previously in this thread, rather than the bore itself the majority of the power gained is from the increase in compression ratio due to going from a piston that is flat to one that has a dome... this is why i was merely looking at the 95mm bore and wiseco piston...

you get most the benefit, while leaving more cylinder material to sink any extra heat if any at all.

But how about merely truing the surfaces and eliminating the head gasket?  anyone have a calculation on the increase in displacement from ditching the gasket alone?  there must be a bit.

Or is this a bad idea with our aluminum not seating properly after torque?

Then what about decking the head a bit, i could easily do this on my mill.
Anyone have a the numbers to shave for say a 10.5 ratio?

should be starting a new thread?

IP Logged
swedishbiker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Växjö Sweden
Reply #72 - 11/20/13 at 01:28:25

94mm piston and 94mm stroke, about 1mm would give 10.

14365412   IP Logged
axa

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #73 - 11/20/13 at 02:37:00

swedishbiker wrote on 11/20/13 at 01:28:25:
94mm piston and 94mm stroke, about 1mm would give 10.

I appreciate the response, but isn't that estimate a bit over simplistic?

The calculation needs to be a factor of the reduction in the size of the combustion chamber, that which is not entirely a continuation of the tubal cylinder, but rather a partial hemisphere.

The trouble in making this calculation really is estimating this partial hemisphere and all the bits it contains...  rather than trouble with merely calculating the reduction in the displacement by removing the gasket itself.

Anyone have the actual displacement measure of the combustion chamber itself?

How does one even make this measure, if it is not supplied in specifications?
I suppose one could use a measured syringe filling the chamber with a liquid...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #74 - 11/20/13 at 03:16:43

AXA......you are exploring new territory and will need to do the work on this one for yourself.

When you lower the head, you are making the cam chain longer by twice the distance that you shave off the head.....so you are going to have to account for that extra length and maybe have to install a new Versy tensioner right away.  You might also need to check the valve to piston clearance with whatever cam you want to use....as the stock piston does not have any valve pockets.  

I am running a 95mm Wiseco in mine.....and it runs great.  And it is easy to install.

IMG_0374.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 10:33:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 97mm Piston

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.