Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
worthy/unworthy engine work (Read 87 times)
axa

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

worthy/unworthy engine work
12/01/13 at 23:20:32

So I finally got the top end apart, as im going to do all the recommended as well as performance upgrades on my bob out build

TO DO LIST:
- Cylinder bore - 95mm kit
- Head work - port/polish.  relive edges, open exhaust ports...
- extend the cam chain tensioner
- new VM-4 carb / filter
- new exhaust (not sure which yet)

NOT TO DO LIST:
- new coil, myth
- carb wing, no conclusive evidence of worth

On the fence LIST
- carb UFO
- cam regrind
- 3 angle valve job
- new valve seals
-performance/upgraded clutch

1. UFO
( i know they say 1 horse for each 100cc, but ive read its only true on a multi carb engine )

2. cam regrind
( this one im just ignorant on, has anyone added this separately from other upgrades, and might be able to report actual rather than perceived benefits.)

3.  Three angle valve job.
( Im thinking the port/polish will accomplish most of the benefit here, i know tri angle job helps the valves cool better but this is not a race bike im building.  also i cant do this myself so not sure its worth the $$$)

4. Valve seals
( Nothing wrong with mine, 6500 miles,2002, but might there be any value in changing them with performance ones while the heads off?  From what i know there only has been one thread that someone reported hearing of a leak... so this seems really really unnecessary and id rather not do it.
But i know at least one guy here that swears by Viton replacements, and its they are so cheap)

5. Really at what point is a new clutch needed.
Again no problem with mine.  plenty tight, the springs are even too stiff for my weak hands...

So for those whom have some experience with these things do you think?

« Last Edit: 12/02/13 at 04:39:22 by axa »  
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: worthy/unworthy engine work
Reply #1 - 12/02/13 at 05:20:20

axa wrote on 12/01/13 at 23:20:32:
So I finally got the top end apart, as im going to do all the recommended as well as performance upgrades on my bob out build

TO DO LIST:
- Cylinder bore - 95mm kit
- Head work - port/polish.  relive edges, open exhaust ports...
- extend the cam chain tensioner
- new VM-4 carb / filter
- new exhaust (not sure which yet)

NOT TO DO LIST:
- new coil, myth
- carb wing, no conclusive evidence of worth

On the fence LIST
- carb UFO
- cam regrind
- 3 angle valve job
- new valve seals
-performance/upgraded clutch

1. UFO
( i know they say 1 horse for each 100cc, but ive read its only true on a multi carb engine )
I did not do the UFO on my bike.....as the jetting seems to be a bit more difficult with the UFO.  I am happy with the bike the way it is now......and I have not had the time to install a UFO and see how the thing works and how hard it is to jet.

2. cam regrind.  I added the cam at the same time I did everything else.....the engine updrade is a package and moving more air though the engine was my goal.  OldFellor is the only one I know that did the cam only change(with better muffler).....and his bike runs very well and he can report on the cam only upgrade.

3.  Three angle valve job. There are fare more restrictions in the exhaust port, and the angle valve grind probably won't make any change.  The big restriction is the exhaust port and header pipe.

4. Valve seals If you are porting....you are gonna have to take the valves and seals out.  Change them if you have the money.....keep the old ones if you don't.

5. Really at what point is a new clutch needed. [color=#0000ff][ My clutch works fine with a 95mmWiseco, VM36, Stage 1 cam, port and polish, big foam air cleaner, and high flow muffler.  The weak point is if you install heavier springs - the clutch release piece that is pinned on the shaft breaks as it is made out of sintered metal and not strong enough for heavier springs./color]

So for those whom have some experience with these things do you think?

The handling, brakes, chassis, etc. of the Savage is not up to handling a bunch of power, and the Savage engine will never be fast.  It can be made to run better......but it will not be winning any drag races that last much farther than across the intersection.  I love my modified engine and how it runs.......it is a bunch of fun on the back roads.  I don't go around looking for bikes to race at the stop lights!

Grin

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
axa

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: worthy/unworthy engine work
Reply #2 - 12/02/13 at 06:37:37

thanks for sharing your experiance Dave, i think im gravitating to exactly where your at...

- That UFO sure seems like a biyach to tune. maybe in the future when when all else complete

- I would like to hear from you OldFellor, or anyone on merely adding the cam.  im still on the fence.

- i reckon your exactly right about the 3 angle job, it just will not provide bang for buck...

True, to polish correctly the valves need to come out.  Just still think most breathing benefits comes from opening up the exhaust, easing transitions and eliminating cast marks.
For dont even fully polished exhausts still build up carbon deposits?
Then what is the benefit, less carbon deposit build up?

- And if the clutch aint broke, why fix it...

But if i go with the cam regrind i wont cut corners, the valves will come out for a proper polish... now someone convince me on that regrind! Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 05:36:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › worthy/unworthy engine work

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.