Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Removing Stripped Air Mix Screw (Read 1154 times)
Threedeckers
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Removing Stripped Air Mix Screw
Reply #15 - 07/06/20 at 08:46:06

You just saved me! I was shopping for a new carb. You are the best

IP Logged
norman3516
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

florida
Reply #16 - 07/12/21 at 11:50:27

dmj13 wrote on 10/20/12 at 09:18:16:
I've seen a couple posts lately about stuck/stripped air mix screws and since I was one of them, wanted to share how I got mine out. Trying to be helpful and all....
 So, a couple days ago I managed to strip the hell out of my air mixture screw when attempting to correct backfire issues. That sucked, but one of the members here,- gdrseeker- was kind enough to send me an unused air mix screw to replace it with. I went ahead and ordered Lancer's jet kit, figuring I might as well do everyhting while I'm busy fixing the screw. I got the carb out fine, but...
 PROBLEM: the stupid screw was really stripped, I could not get traction at ALL. Why that thing is made of brass I have no idea. It felt like I had pushed on it too hard and maybe bent some threads or something. Regardless, my first thought was to spray it with PB Blaster, let it soak, the tap a screw driver into it with a hammer to see if I could get it turning. Then I remembered that too much pressure was what started this mess to begin with, so I nixed that idea. I did hit it with some PB Blaster, though.
 Well, I've turned wrenches for fun for a while, so this is not my first stuck screw. Thought about using a torch, then I thought about the gasoline and maybe catching myself on fire- no go. I tried my set of Probit Extractors- which normally work like a champ- but they would not reach the screw. I considered grinding down the metal around the screw to get access, but reserved that as a last resort.
 I was finally faced with  saying screw it (haha) and buying a new carb, but that was not financially reasonable. I would take it to a machine shop, but I don't want to be THAT guy, and even a machinist could jack it up good. I prefer to break my own stuff. All the normal options were eliminated down to trying to drill it out. So I did, and it worked.
First, I used a power drill and a 1/16th kobalt bit to start a pilot hole in the center of the screw. This was pretty shallow, but I then stepped up to a 5/64 drill bit and made about a quarter-inch deep hole . So far, so good. Then, I used a T8 torx bit (quarter-inch drive) and very carefully used a hammer to tap it securely into place.
MAKE SURE YOU DRILL AND TAP THE BIT IN STRAIGHT. I did not have a ratchet that size, so I used a quarter-inch drive screwdriver and clamped onto the handle with a pair of vice grips for leverage (You WILL need to do this. Trying to crank it by hand without the added leverage is NOT going to work.) Then I said a little prayer, applied gentle, steady pressure and... it came out like a champ. Hopefully the pictures post below.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag130/dmarckjr/Motorcycle%20Stuff/IMAG254...

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag130/dmarckjr/Motorcycle%20Stuff/IMAG253...

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag130/dmarckjr/Motorcycle%20Stuff/IMAG253...

thank you for the write up on how to do this , i did it today and it worked great !

IP Logged
Wesleyp53
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 08/12/21 at 15:46:07

Just did this worked great, thanks for the info. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home