Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Things every savage newb should know... (Read 9423 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Things every savage newb should know...
Reply #30 - 08/25/20 at 16:56:46

Have someone follow you away from a stop.
My daughter was wringing the Savage out, I was following on the guzzi,, She hit second and nailed it,, The plate was zinging left and right so hard there was no way to read it,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
KLM
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sacramento, CA
Reply #31 - 05/05/21 at 14:45:31

As a Savage newb myself I thought it might be helpful to note that:

The Phillips screws on this bike aren't really Phillips but JIS.  

Something I learned after stripping most of the carb screws on my 93 Yamaha Seca II

I picked up this guy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E55DL4I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s...

Worked really well on my 86 Savage carb and other screws.  

To the mod's.  Hope it's ok I added this as a newb myself.  I did some searching and only found JIS mentioned in one thread.

86 Basket Case 23,000 miles
  IP Logged
Michael Moore
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - Yesterday at 10:58:05

I've just purchased a 1997 LS650.  I'm sure other people besides me would be interested to know what the consensus is on engine gaskets:  should I stick with OEM or are there reputable aftermarket brands at better prices?  

I've had the experience with other bikes of buying aftermarket/pattern gaskets that were pretty useless, either a poor fit or poor material.  But the OEMs usually buy-in things like gaskets and it is quite possible that an aftermarket gasket might be made by an OEM supplier.

I'm going to need side cover gaskets ASAP so I figured I should ask (since the forum search wasn't giving me an answer) before I order a supply that is either more expensive than needed or of lower quality than I'd like.  

thanks,
Michael

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #33 - Yesterday at 12:49:19

I've purchased many different gaskets both OEM and others like Athena.
And I've read tales of varied results regarding fit but I usually have good results.  

But, you can never go wrong with OEM gaskets.

It's just can you deal with small inconveniences for huge savings?

WWW   IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #34 - Yesterday at 13:11:38

I had a bad experience with a cheap alternator side crankcase gasket.  I ended up replacing it with an OEM gasket.  So it cost me more in the long run because I wasted money on the cheap gasket and having to do it twice (time investment).

IP Logged
Michael Moore
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - Yesterday at 13:23:59

Thanks, there are some major aftermarket gaskets (Athena, Vesrah) that seem to be reliable over the years.  I suppose that sticking with the "name brands", presuming they actually make what is needed, is probably pretty safe.  But after reading the threads about the various counterfeit Keihin/Mikuni carbs and the woes people have had it is clear that caveat emptor is still a good practice.

As my wife remarked just now "how much do you save over the Suzuki gasket?" and that seemed a good point.   Smiley  But I can remember several years ago needing to buy a complete gasket/seal set for an SV650 and I think the kit from Suzuki set me back the better part of $200.  I just checked at SuzukiPartsHouse and see GASKET SET 11400-24858,Your Price: $151.64.  That's about 17 items including some 10 o-rings from $3-8 and a $24 clutch cover gasket.  O-rings shouldn't be that expensive, but then there's the hope that Suzuki has included all that are needed and made sure they were the correct items too.  Sometimes, the "budget" options aren't so good about that.

FWIW, there's a $30-40 variance in price on the OEM gasket sets depending on the vendor, so it pays to shop around a bit.  That $151 is pretty much the lowest I saw.

Cometic lists some gaskets for the DR650, but none for the LS/S40.  A friend found that Cometic was willing to make gaskets for his vintage race bikes if he sent them a DXF CAD drawing, and things like cover gaskets could often be reused several times if some care was taken.  I'm going to think about ordering the full set from Suzuki to start, and whatever doesn't get used goes into the spares box.  I can scan and draw/reverse engineer them and have that as an option if they start to get hard to find.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #36 - Yesterday at 14:56:53

I was going to say, you probably won’t find a consensus here.  Too many different opinions.  But there is probably a pretty strong bias for OEM when it comes to engine fasteners, gaskets, o-rings, and other less expensive engine parts.

A few things I’ve gambled on in the aftermarket parts world that have panned out include: stator $50 compared to $400+ new, starter relay $10 compared to $200+, knock-off Keihin carb $36 compared to $300+ genuine and over $600 for the stock OEM Mikuni CV carb, stock turn signals are $120 EACH and you can buy as low as about $15 for a set of 4 that work (I didn’t cheap out that bad and found a good pair of rear signals with the correct mounting setup for $40).  There’s other stuff too that I bought that I wouldn’t pay OEM prices.

The cheap aftermarket gasket I bought was a good lesson/reminder to be careful where I want to cheap out.  Your wife asked the right question.

IP Logged
Michael Moore
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #37 - Today at 08:52:07

I saw DragBikeMike mention a safety tip that I hadn't seen before, and it seems a good addition to the info for newbies thread:

"First things first.  Disconnect your negative battery cable.  The Savage has a mysterious habit of going into auto-start mode with absolutely no warning.  It has something to do with the decompression relay.  It's always a good practice to disconnect the battery before you start working on your motorcycle, but on the Savage it's imperative."

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 22:01:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Things every savage newb should know...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.