Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
400 belt drive conversion? exhaust question...??? (Read 264 times)
cigarandcoffeeman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

400 belt drive conversion? exhaust question...???
08/02/12 at 13:17:09

Hey guys, well im knew to the site and learnt quite a bit i didn't know Smiley cheers ...

Well i have a 400 savage, Japanese version, with a chain drive, but i want to convert to belt drive, no oiling, no chain snatch, no oil fling, and they last longer, ooohhh and its a lot quieter too, well i've done some research and the belt sprocket pullys should be a straight swap (since you have to add a spacer behind the sprocket if you do a chain drive conversion) hopefully mine already has this, the problem is sourcing the pullys here in the uk, ebay has one on at the mo, but i would ideally like a matching pair, any suggestions would be welcome!

and second is the exhaust, i took the original silencer off, and bought a universal fishtail, but encountered a slight problem... the silencer seems way to far towards the swinging arm, brake cable and tyre, i then had a close look at the original silencer and noticed it has a slight bend were it joins? anyone else seen this? i'm guessing i'm gonna have to source some pipe with a slight bend and do a wee bit of joint making Sad

IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Re: 400 belt drive conversion? exhaust question...
Reply #1 - 08/02/12 at 13:43:45

check the market place for belt drive pullys a few people here have done a chain conversion and they might still have the OG pulleys.

for the bend in the muffler yes for some reason the header likes to position after market mufflers right towards the rear brake line and tire. im struggling with that same problem at the moment. ive read that a small peice of pipe with a 10 degree bend in it works well.

good luck in your mods. i hope you get you muffler on with less of a headache then im having  Smiley  

oh and welcome to the forum!  Cheesy

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 08/02/12 at 14:21:29

Does your bike have enough of an offset on the left side to accept the wide pulley/belt setup?  The LS650 has the left shock moved outside the swingarm to allow for the extra room needed.  You ultimately may want the belt guards as well.....maybe not.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #3 - 08/02/12 at 16:19:34

Does anyone know if a straight swap would work? I've been considering switch to chain drive myself, maybe we could work something out?

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 08/02/12 at 18:52:11

I'm looking at a picture of the LS400 and I'll tell you what, it has the exact same chain guards as my belt guards so if your left-side wheel spacer is this big, all you'd need are the pulleys and belt.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/03/12 at 06:44:17

HEY MAN,
I have a matched set of pulleys, and the belt too I think. Did the chain conversion.
I'm in the US, so shipping will be a lot, but I don't need much money for the parts themselves.
Send me a PM if you're interested...

IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #6 - 08/03/12 at 07:19:57

I am glad to welcome another owner LS400! I installed on my savage belt drive. if it did not raise any problems, only after a fairly long had to correctly Orient the rear wheel, not to grinding belt and rear tyre is not rubbed on bolts крепления. now ride and enjoy the charms of a belt drive
so probably buy a set of belt drive and good luck!
sorry for my english, but i'm russian...

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
cigarandcoffeeman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/04/12 at 11:03:42

You guys are awesome, i didnt imagine the help i'd get Cheesy
Did a little measuring today, and everything matchs, so belt drive it is, unfortunatly my sprockets and chain are well and truly goosed, so not worth sending to any one, unless there after templates or something....

Got the chain off (with a little swearing and help from mr cutting disc) someone had put a riveted chain on (no split link) and basically the chain was pure solid rust, it killed my chain breaker Sad

Currently searching around for a tool to get my sprocket off, the nut is rather tight and from the looks never been off since knew.. but thats a job for when the sun comes out, theres two pics in the picture thread bit in the cafe, one's my old girl and the others the 400 and i'll add the 3rd Cheesy.

IP Logged
cigarandcoffeeman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/04/12 at 11:09:45

Hey Teabowl, i can't pm something about i haven't done enough polls or something?
michaellane92@hotmail.co.uk there's my email, if you could send me a message with the postage price and how much your after, and we could have a deal Cheesy
I'm away this week as of monday (got a metal festival) Alice Coopers headlineing YIIPPPEEE

And to Mr WAMBR, its surprising were these savages get too, How's the weather in Russia? Im guessing kind of cold, how does the savage hold up?

Peace

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/04/12 at 14:46:41

Alice Cooper is WAY more important than working on your bike...
I'll get the parts together this weekend and get them to the post office to get a price, but I'll need your address. I'll email you in a little bit...

Cheers!
Chris

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/09/12 at 15:15:00

HEY MAN, I've got those pulleys ready for you whenever you want them. Just need your address. I don't have the belt, though...
Just let me know!

IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/09/12 at 15:21:58

What are the sprocket sizes on the ls 400?  Endless chains with no master link are a pain in the arse!!

Agreed there are some nice informative folks on here!!  Smiley

IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #12 - 08/09/12 at 22:24:14

Drifter as far as I remember in stock installed sprockets and chain 520 size. chainring 17 teeth in front and rear sproket about 50 teeth and the  112 links chain. it seems so.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #13 - 08/10/12 at 04:05:58

Why would you cut the chain off? This is a cruiser, the chain slides right off once you pull the shock and the rear wheel. How else would you get the belt on in the first place? Can't split a belt...

IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #14 - 08/10/12 at 06:07:50

not everything is so easy with chain. chain should first to cut off. but to remove the belt only need to loosen the two nuts-cap and remove the rear shock absorber.
I installed the drive belt, because the chain sprockets and worn out and I didn't like how they make noise and tired of their lubricated.
a belt drive me very much.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 15:04:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 400 belt drive conversion? exhaust question...???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.