Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Master Cylinder Sight Window (Read 552 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: Master Cylinder Sight Window
Reply #30 - 10/19/10 at 21:50:53

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/19/10 at 09:38:54:
and opening the reservoir lets in humidity.

Its vented anyway...

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/19/10 at 10:51:55:
.......Justin is correct, your master cylinder reservoir is always vented to the humid outside air.....

Shocked

Now, I'm not looking at a front brake master cylinder, and I'm too lazy to go out to the garage and pull the cover off of the one on my Savage (see signature), but, if IIRC, there is no direct way that ambient air can contact the brake fluid in that master cylinder reservoir.

Here is how I remember it:  There is a rubber bellows that sits directly below the front brake master cylinder reservoir's cap.  The air cavity ABOVE said bellows IS vented and has contact with ambient air.  The air cavity BELOW said bellows (the air cavity in contact with the brake fluid sitting in said reservoir) does NOT have contact with ambient air.  The bottom of said bellows makes a tight seal with the top sealing surface (lip) of said reservoir.

Or, am I all wet?

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #31 - 10/19/10 at 22:08:40

U know, you could be right. Id have to go pop the top off to be certain, However, I dont remember the bellows being sufficient to pull into the master cylinder to accomodate for the fluid being pumped down as the pads wear. Orrr,, I wasnt paying attention, who has the real answer?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #32 - 10/20/10 at 00:06:53

There is a bellows looking thingie in the lid, but I've never seen mine extend any (or move any) so I just considered it "the lid seal" and went on with life.

If it does indeed make the master cylinder reservoir air proof, then why the heck does the fluid degrade so much in a few year's time?

Dunno ....   got me   Huh

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #33 - 10/20/10 at 17:24:22

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 10/20/10 at 00:06:53:

There is a bellows looking thingie in the lid, but I've never seen mine extend any (or move any) so I just considered it "the lid seal" and went on with life.

If it does indeed make the master cylinder reservoir air proof, then why the heck does the fluid degrade so much in a few year's time?

Thats one O them Sherlock Holmes questions.

Ill be messin with it soon. Ill try to find time to have a look.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #34 - 10/20/10 at 18:26:13

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 10/20/10 at 00:06:53:

The brake fluid doesn't degrade I've seen it last 25 years and still be good.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #35 - 10/20/10 at 22:41:31

I think I'm gonna start a thread called "Bill-isms" that will be reserved for all the truly whacky stuff people post on the list that jest ain't so.

Bill, we are gonna name it after you in honor of "a real mechanic can tell if the valves need adjusting just by listening to them" which is a Bill-ism classic to be sure.

But "The brake fluid doesn't degrade I've seen it last 25 years and still be good."  certainly meets the Bill-ism grade too.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #36 - 10/20/10 at 22:54:27

Kind of reminds me of what I'll call "Dadisms". My Dad always got cool cars. When I was 16 I drove his '67 Camero around or he had the Lincoln Continental with the suicide doors. Now, when he sold or traded in his cars, everything was original. The oil, spark plugs and even the air in the tires Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 01:05:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Master Cylinder Sight Window

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.