Rain gear (Read 37 times)
JOG
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longview, Texas
Rain gear
Yesterday at 00:57:07

Yesterday I would have taken the bike, but my ancient rain gear is just insufficient for even a light rain. Since so many options are out there, I thought I'd see sit anyone has some they are super happy with or maybe bought a big disappointment.
Knowing what to avoid is really handy,,

Since bikes are almost invisible on a sunshiny day, when They Otta expect bikes on the road, I'm particularly worried that They won't see me on a day when They don't expect to see riders, because it's cold and wet. Visibility is lower, because, well, it's Not a bright, sunshiny day and wipers are flipping and flopping across the field of view,
So, high viz is a Requirement.

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Re: Rain gear
Reply #1 - Yesterday at 10:28:20

I'm cheap by nature and I shudder at the cost of motorcycle specific anything so I tend to buy non-motorcycle specific gear if I can.

What I usually get is something like https://www.menards.com/main/tools/workwear-safety-gear/high-visibility-safet... in a size big enough to wear over my riding gear.

Right now, I've got a Coleman jacket I've had since 2011 or so and set of pants I bought in 2020. I tend to rip the crotch of the pants getting on and off the bike.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
JOG
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longview, Texas
Reply #2 - Yesterday at 20:15:03

I tend to rip the crotch of the pants getting on and off the bike.

It's okay to brag.

You're right about the MC specific pricing. I'm still using a slicker suit from the oilfield. It's got green patches on it. I have to duct tape the gap between snaps if it's gonna be a very long ride. I'll be seventy in a few months and I left the oilfield a little over thirty years ago. Yeah, it's pretty much Done. But it's Blind Ya Yellow and I might just get another one. They have plenty of room for cold weather gear.

They are definitely durable. Or were.
Thanks for the reply. Made me Think.
And Laff..

My daughter calls it the Banana suit.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - Yesterday at 21:26:20

Hay JOG

I've been really happy with the rain gear I got from "Cycle Gear" .   the jackets are about $40. and the pants about $30.  
Yaa , I know $70 !!!  Shocked Shocked Shocked  I've had them for over 10 years , so pro-rate it out and it's OK !
They roll up  barley small enough to fit in one of my smaller size pannier side cases. Dry and WARM when the weather get ugly.   I think of them as my "Foul Weather" outfit.
I saw a lighter weight version of them at Cabela's for $190 for both pieces.

This is the jacket I'm using now , those front pockets fold over before the fasten ... they're rain proof too. :

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-tornado-rain-jacket?sku_id=1130644

I would get the pants that have the longest leg zipper if I was doing it over .
Wink

Cropped_SM_Reduced.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
JOG
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longview, Texas
Reply #4 - Yesterday at 22:01:27

Looks like it's A quality product, but I can't make myself wear black in low visibility conditions And I Know the subconscious of the cell phone addicted. They don't Consciously decide they won't see a biker because it's cold and wet,, but they can run over a guy on a pretty day,, so they sure as hekk aren't looking for us on schitty days.
I had to take evasive action Today! A dude pulled away from a stop sign and took my lane. Mehh,,I was only going seventy.. It probably wouldn't have hurt.
I was a little sad that my helmet covers my mouth. He didn't get to see me call him a Muthafukker.
There is a brick and mortar Safety store here. I've seen it, think I know where it is. IIRC it's part of the same outfit I got my slicker suit from in Odessa. They sell and maintain extinguishers, sell flares,high viz stuff,
I want suspenders on the pants, and high viz. It's okay if it's sloppy, as long as it stops the wind and rain. Lookin Weird isn't a problem. As long as I'm Seen PRIOR to a decision that would end in Me on the ground.
Me and Black just don't track.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #5 - Yesterday at 22:30:22

from a stop sign and took my lane. Mehh,,I was only going seventy..  

JOG , where is there a stop sign and a 70 mph speed limit close together ?

You know speed limits are not for how fast you can hold it on the road  ... they are for how fast you can avoid folks who get in your lane .  You Hooligan ...  Grin   Your going to get hurt if your not going slow enough to react and look ahead ... I hope ya don't , but be more careful out there.
Those phone-lap-texting folks are every where ...

I've had the "Idea"  Roll Eyes  ... to put a Magnetic strip with a bunch of steel ball on it for those folks who need to look-up from their phones more often.   Going to jail is the only thing keeping me from mounting a handy ball mount somewhere handy ...  Undecided  Undecided Undecided

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
JOG
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longview, Texas
Reply #6 - Today at 01:25:52

I was on 271 ,north of Gilmer. He was on a county road that intersects it. He was ready to get on out there. Which is Fine. Until the There he is headed off into is the same place as my Here..
Did you just add the pic of the bike? It wasn't there last time I opened this thread.
That is nicely set up.
What does it weigh? The seat looks comfy.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - Today at 04:27:18

MMRanch wrote on Yesterday at 22:30:22:
JOG , where is there a stop sign and a 70 mph speed limit close together ?

MM - JOG lives in Texas.  The place where country roads have 70mph speed limits!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 13:04:05

General CategoryThe Cafe › Rain gear

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.