Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Replacing lead acid battery with Lithium Battery (Read 51 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Replacing lead acid battery with Lithium Battery
09/17/24 at 21:54:34

Hay fellers

I've had the Idea , to replace my battery next time with a  Lithium Battery.

The lithium is 12.5 volt or 12.8 volt I think.

But

What about the stories of them blowing up or catching on fire ?  
Will the regular charging system work with them ?

And

If it will work on the bike ... why not put one in the Truck too ?
Don't they last longer than Lead Acid ?   Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Replacing lead acid battery with Lithium Batte
Reply #1 - Yesterday at 03:48:15

My Cafe' bike has an "Earth-X" brand Lithium battery that is going on 13 years old.  It starts the bike every time I hit the starter button.  It has never been on a charger - it sits 5 months and is ready to go when spring arrives.....Lithium batteries don't lose a charge when sitting - however if your motorcycle has a computer with a clock it will have a parasitic drag that takes power from the battery and may need a tender if you don't ride the bike for an extended period.

If you buy a Lithium battery - don't go cheap and buy an off brand.  Buy a good battery to make sure you get something that automatically balances cells, has protection from going dead - running a Lithium batter down even one time will most often ruin it.

Go with Earth-X or Anti-Gravity for a reliable battery in your motorcycle.

Noco just came into the game as well - they are a very reliable company that makes incredibly sophisticated chargers for maintaining boat and RV batteries.

Some lithium batteries require a special charger/maintainer - others can use a standard smart charger/maintainer.

Earth-X:  https://earthxbatteries.com/

Anti-Gravity:  https://antigravitybatteries.com/?utm_term=go_cmp-10346306056_adg-14910251612...

Noco:  https://no.co/products/lithium/powersport

I have had no problems with my Lithium battery in my motorcycle, and most modern dirt bikes come with a Lithium battery installed from the factory.....and your cell phone, laptop computer and many other modern devices have Lithium batteries.  However when a short occurs in a Lithium battery is can be very serious.  Getting the fire out is nearly impossible - and it is a very hot fire.  Sneeze lost his entire garage, his motorcycle and other projects and all his tools when the charger/battery for his drill decided to go up in flames.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:28:29 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #2 - Yesterday at 09:35:57

Thanks for the reply Dave  Smiley

I know some of you fellers have them already and would know the peculiars.

Maybe , I'll just go AGM , something smaller than this but maybe safer also :     https://www.temu.com/12v-100ah-battery-agm-deep--31-battery-with--1100--curre...

Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #3 - Yesterday at 14:00:31

MM, I just recently purchased a AGM battery for my Honda on Ebay and it was under $50.00. They did take 3 weeks to deliver when they quoted 4 days. But the battery has been installed and the Honda is running fine. We'll see how long it lasts.

Also, I have purchased a couple of things on Temu and they were not bad per say, but they were about as low quality as possible and still be acceptable. Just FYI.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - Yesterday at 19:40:31

Hi Springman

I just recently purchased a AGM battery for my Honda  

I like Ebay shopping !   That big Honda might take a BIG battery , I'm guessing the  18 amp one ?

My 350cc bike is going on its third year now , it hard to believe I bought it new and it's almost 3 years old already !   To me it still feels like a new bike anyway !  It's only got 20,000 miles on it , but I know it's almost battery time because the starter just ain't as spunky as it used to be.   Smiley

JOG
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longview, Texas
Reply #5 - Yesterday at 20:56:58

MM, I know you're new to all of this and don't know that starters suffer wear and perform at a lower level because of that wear, and, you probably don't know that if you are questioning the battery's ability to spin that starter with the Vim and Vigor of a young, strong,healthy ( dammit,, this ain't Chaturbate, JOG!) one, you might hook up a meter and measure the Length of the Strength,, ( dammit ,see above!) of your battery as it works to overcome the load..(ohh,muhgawd,,) if it starts to droop before it gets her spun up,,( I'm incorrigible,) then ya might wanna slip something hotter in her..
(Well, schitt, I'm just gonna hafta quit.. )

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - Yesterday at 22:45:33

OH my !

I was at the bottom of the text before I caught on !   I must not be corruptible .   Too much of living the Blessed Life  , but I'm not sure there is such a thing as too many Blessings ?   They just fall all over and around me with everything I touch ... Praise the Lord and be Blessed  Smiley Smiley

JOG
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longview, Texas
Reply #7 - Today at 07:55:20

Yeah, I started off just being insulting, then started with the suggestive, basically just an offensive post. With a pinch of possibly useful thinking.
It was a lot funnier last night.
I hope I didn't bruise your delicate nature.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - Today at 09:44:09

Good Morning JOG .

Grin
You are too funny ,  

I hope I didn't bruise your delicate nature.     Huh

I didn't know I had a delicate anything  , I thought myself more as a Bull in a China Shop    Roll Eyes

I'm usually the last one to see or catch on to crude thoughts , I'm way to Blessed for my thoughts to linger in those areas.   Smiley Smiley

Back to reply # 5

Your doctor can prescribe a little blue pill to help with all that stuff !   Wink
The miracles of modern medicines !  Smiley

AGM , for the Bike and the Truck next time.   The "Deep Cycle" for the truck .    I was reading they last twice as long !   Smiley

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 13:09:03

General CategoryThe Cafe › Replacing lead acid battery with Lithium Battery

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.