ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Valve Lash Adjustment
08/26/24 at 06:06:03

2006 S40 with about 7,000 miles.

I did a valve lash adjustment when I got the bike in April.  I set it at approx. 0.10mm in the middle of the .08 - .13 range.   Bike runs well and all was quite on the western front.  I’ve put about 700 miles on the bike.

Tick, tick, tick now on the left intake side.  At least it’s most pronounced on the left intake valve.

I’ll check/adjust all 4 again, but why after only 700 miles is it ticking on what I think is just 1 valve?  Did I not torque the nut tight enough on that one?  

Just trying to understand.  I’m more used to ticking occurring on all 4 valves.  Maybe the other 3 are just a few miles behind before they start ticking too.

Also, for the decomp solenoid adjustment between 3mm - 5mm, I shoot for 4mm.  If the starter is spinning quite easily and it takes 3-4 tries to start when the bike is cold (1st start of the day), which way would I go with the decomp solenoid adjustment to try to remedy the issue?  Do I adjust it closer to 3mm or 5mm?  Once the bike is up to operating temp, it starts first try.  So, the decomp adjustment might be fine and it’s something else causing a difficult to start condition when cold (note: choke doesn’t help).  I may try turning the air/fuel mix screw 1/4 turn richer and see if that helps, but I like it where I have it for riding/idling.  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Valve Lash Adjustment
Reply #1 - 08/26/24 at 09:31:57

The decompression adjustment is not critical and only needs to be within the allowable range.  The adjustment will not affect how quickly the bike starts.

The only purpose is to allow the engine to get over TDC if the piston happened to be on the compression stroke when you hit the starter button.

Are you leaving the throttle closed when you are trying to start the bike cold?  Opening the throttle bypasses the Choke/Enrichment valve circuit.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #2 - 08/26/24 at 11:14:16

Thanks Dave.  I was kinda thinking the decomp was an all or nothing thing.

This is with the PWK38 carb.  I've tried both ways: 1) not touching the throttle, and 2) opening the throttle a little bit while cranking.  I need to play with this some more and see if I can narrow it down.

Hard to explain exactly, but when it finally starts (no choke), its when I roll on the throttle slightly when cranking.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #3 - 08/27/24 at 10:06:37

FU….!!!

Broke a tappet adjuster screw doing the valve lash.

I give up!  I quit!

Just say it!  Call me a DumbA$$!!
« Last Edit: 08/27/24 at 13:09:18 by ThumperPaul »  

IMG_5356-compressed.png
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/27/24 at 16:40:18

Ouch!  

Hang in there, poo happens.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 08/28/24 at 05:01:46

ohiomoto wrote on 08/27/24 at 16:40:18:
Ouch!  

Hang in there, poo happens.

You think I’d learn by now!  How many bolts and threads do I have to over tighten break and strip before I learn!  You can’t get a torque wrench in there, and my thumb/wrist torque wrench always lies!  One uga uga too much!

It’s only a $5 part plus $9 shipping.  It’s getting the remains of the broken screw out that gives me heartburn.  I really don’t want to have to pull the head!

The other thing is I set the clearances so evenly and perfectly on .10mm.  I spent almost 2 hours obsessively getting them “exactly” the same at .10mm.  That did kinda answer my original question tough - one starts ticking before the others probably because they weren’t set exactly the same the last time you checked/adjusted.

This is the 2nd bike I’ve done more harm than good while doing the valve lash. It’s hard enough getting your hands and tools in there to do it without adding to the task!  Argh!

IP Logged
JOG
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longview, Texas
Reply #6 - 08/28/24 at 07:39:38

Every Single Time I've been in there my guts got in a knot, worrying about the jam nuts backing off. They get Plenty of shaking and oil, so if anything is Gonna loosen up,, that sure looks like The Place where it's gonna happen. The first few hundred miles, my ears are paying attention. Never had a problem with it and I know the torque I got on it wasn't really great.

If you're having trouble calibrating your Wrist torque wrench, maybe buy some nuts and bolts and poke holes in a piece of scrap metal, put it in a vise, grab a wrench and the torque wrench. Play with it. If ya bust something, mehh,,

On the covers, the bolts,everything is wimpy. Trying to Be Sure it won't leak is a great way to cause problems. It's a lot easier to ride it and See if something needs another quarter turn..

When you're going back together, remember how much effort it took to loosen up what you are tightening. The jam nuts weren't LugNut tight.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #7 - 08/28/24 at 10:15:45

Thanks JOG.  It’s not a lack of practice. I’m just my own worst enemy.  I need to trust my work and stop!

I got the remains out without incident.  That’s a relief.

IP Logged
JOG
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longview, Texas
Reply #8 - 08/28/24 at 10:32:41

If yours did what mine did, the pointy tip got mashed down over time. After they got done getting peened down and work hardened the valves didn't need as much adjustment and needed it less often. I don't really remember the specs on them, but I'm thinking your adjustment is a bit on the loose end. IIRC the exhaust is supposed to be. a bit looser than the intake,  I know I worked at getting them as close as possible without being worried about burning a valve.
Just my opinion, but I Think the looser it is, the harder the cam smacks that tip into the valve,

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #9 - 08/28/24 at 10:47:55

The clearance range for the LS650 is .08 - .13mm (.03 - .05 inch).  I go for .10mm in the middle.  I’ve had bikes where intake and exhaust clearance are different.  Old adage, “a ticking valve is a fully closing valve”.

I’ve also had bikes where clearance was much tighter (like .04 - .08mm).

If I don’t like the .10mm clearance, I’ll consider going to .08.
« Last Edit: 08/28/24 at 11:53:30 by ThumperPaul »  

IMG_5358.JPEG
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #10 - 09/04/24 at 09:28:19

All good.  New tappet adjuster screw and original nut installed without issue (I didn’t drop it in the head, yay.).

All 4 are adjusted to about .09mm.  The .08mm shim will slide in when you can finally get the right angle and the .10mm would be a major fight to get it in there!  If I fiddled with each one for 30 minutes, I might could force the .10mm to go in there (maybe).

Fired right up with the choke pulled and no throttle.  No ticking or ugly noises.  Still want to open ‘er up and inspect the CCT and guides, but for the moment it’s good.  Sitting up for 10 days, I think the CCT clicked up a notch on the pawl.  Versy CCT coming soon so I’ll have that handy.

Raining today so I didn’t get to test ride.

Suzuki sure didn’t give you much room to do the valve lash.  I keep getting reminded of that each time I do it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 16:44:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valve Lash Adjustment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.