Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Starting a Cafe Build! Read sets and Swingarm Mods (Read 172 times)
oiJoelad
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Starting a Cafe Build! Read sets and Swingarm Mods
08/24/24 at 04:54:47

Hey gang - thanks all for the add, I’m really excited to be here and part of a knowledgeable community!

I’ve just been handed down an 05 S40, brakes frozen and been sitting a few years. I’m planning to 1) get it running 2) enjoy it for a bit then 3) convert to a cafe racer as my new project. I’ve got a 95 DR250S right now that’s my commuter so not in a rush to get the Savage complete that quickly.

I know the RYCA kit has huge popularity while it was available but now that it’s not, I’m trying to think of what’s going to be my pain points. So far the ones that stick out to me are: moving the rear sets back and swing arm mods to fit 18in wheel. These feel a little daunting so hoping for any advice you guys have - I’ve been searching the forums and found good stuff so far but send over any links you have as well.

Note: I’ve got a friend who runs a CNC shop so can get most things within reason fabricated and another that welds (but hoping to learn myself as well).

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Re: Starting a Cafe Build! Read sets and Swingarm
Reply #1 - 08/24/24 at 06:52:07

Big gung-hos on the project!
I think the Savage is an excellent platform for a cafe bike.
I had an 18” wheel built on the OEM hub (alloy rim, stainless spokes).
Because I did the Kawi front pulley (+2 teeth), and the larger wheel, I had to cut the swingarm brace and add an additional one.
Not hard if you have the equipment.
Post pics!

IMG_3363_002.jpeg

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
oiJoelad
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/24/24 at 17:43:48

Thank you Armen! I’m very excited about it and def will post pics. So let me ask a question - do you have to mod the swingarm with an 18 in. wheel or did you have to do the mod because of the front pulley?

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #3 - 08/24/24 at 19:37:45

I think it was the combination of the two. Dave has done a lot of mixing and matching.
Dave-care to chime in?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 08/24/24 at 21:12:47

Armen wrote on 08/24/24 at 19:37:45:
Dave-care to chime in?

I am currently in the process of finishing up some mid mount pegs - the interior mounting plates to the engine are the same and all you would need to change is the outer plates.  I can post a photo of the inner plates with a scale so you could copy and make a set....or maybe I can find somebody to scan it (I don't have a scanner at home).

I do believe you need to notch the swingarm if you run a 130/70-18 rear tire....especially if you run the Kawasaki front pulley.  When you build your back wheel use a 3.50" wide rim so the 130/70 tire will have the proper profile.  Next time I have my rear tire off I will stick it into a stock swingarm and see what the fit looks like.  I am currently running the Double Kawasaki (front and rear) pulley and the 18" wheel/tire fits without doing any changes to the swingarm.......but this pulley combination is a lot of machining work and the tall gearing is not for everybody (currently only Badwolf and I are using it).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
oiJoelad
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/25/24 at 12:27:49

Dave - thank you sir. That would be awesome if you could post a pic or scan if you’re able. I’m sure I’ll have more questions come as I get into it but appreciate the help!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/25/24 at 14:25:45

I took a different approach and chose a tire that didn't require swingarm mods.  I even ran it with the stock rear fender for a bit during my build.

IP Logged
oiJoelad
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/25/24 at 19:20:24

Ohio, do you mean you got an 18 in wheel and then used thinner tire? Did you like how it looked?

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/26/24 at 16:51:05

I've used these tires with a stock swingarm, belt, and pulleys. The circumference and width are from Shinko's website.

120/80-18   Shinko 705 (25.55" x 4.69") Dual Sport
4.10-18       Shinko 705 (25.16" x 4.09") Dual Sport
100/90-18   Shinko 712 (25.08 "x 3.98") Street

Looks are subjective but I think they fit the style of my bike.

My build thread is here.

IP Logged
Bohica88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/26/24 at 19:48:31

Is it needed to shorten the forks or use different forks for the cafe/ scrambler builds? Or does the stock fork geometry work for these builds. I've read over almost all the builds and haven't really understood what was done to the front end. I'm thinking about doing a build like this and right now going with different handle bars and tank. And modifying the seat area

03 savage bobbed by previous owner. (Hack job) custom handle bars, springer seat, wrapped header, pod filter. Work in progress
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #10 - 08/26/24 at 20:33:33

Bohica88
If you modify a lower triple clamp to work as a top one, you can slide the tubes up thru the triple tree.
You will have to use clip-ons, because there won’t be clamps for the bars.
It’s also a much more sturdy top tree than the original.

IP Logged
Bohica88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/26/24 at 21:10:54

What bike does the lower triple tree come from? And how is it modified

03 savage bobbed by previous owner. (Hack job) custom handle bars, springer seat, wrapped header, pod filter. Work in progress
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #12 - 08/27/24 at 03:33:57

The stock Savage lower tree. Get one on Ebay.
Theres a piece somewhere here on the forum on how to do it.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 08/27/24 at 03:46:44

Armen wrote on 08/27/24 at 03:33:57:
The stock Savage lower tree. Get one on Ebay.
Theres a piece somewhere here on the forum on how to do it.

I have one you can purchase! Wink

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1614946050/0#0

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 08/27/24 at 07:52:46

Bohica88 wrote on 08/26/24 at 19:48:31:
Is it needed to shorten the forks or use different forks for the cafe/ scrambler builds? Or does the stock fork geometry work for these builds. I've read over almost all the builds and haven't really understood what was done to the front end. I'm thinking about doing a build like this and right now going with different handle bars and tank. And modifying the seat area
--------------------------

It's your bike and you can build it however you like.  The only rule here is that the fork lowers must NOT hit the lower triple clamp with the fork springs removed.

RYCA used longer shocks (13" vs 10.5") and shortened the forks by 2 inches.  Many of the cafe builds did the same or similar.  I kept the stock shocks and shortened the forks.  Others have the stock forks with longer shocks.  It just depends on what you are trying to accomplish with looks and performance.

There are three ways to lower the forks. RYCA used a 2" spacer to reduce the travel of the fork.  This will lower the front while keeping the stock handlebar clearance, but you lose 2" of fork travel.  This is probably the most common method.  I did this but I wasn't happy with the reduced travel and later moved on to a different method.

The second method is to purchase an aftermarket clamp or modified top clamp ( like Dave's) that will allow you slide the tubes up to lower the front end.  This method retains full travel and is adjustable.  It perfect if you plan to use clip-on bars but can interfere with some standard bars.  (DC Motive is operated by a forum member SpamyToo.)

Or you can have the tubes cut down and new threads cut threaded to shorten the overall length of the forks.  This is what I ended up doing.  Dave had set done this way as well.  It retains the stock travel and looks.  The drawback is you have to send them to a competent machinist.  Dave and I used Gordy Goodworks.  He does great work but it can take a while.  At one point I wondered if I was going to get my forks back, but I did and it worked out great.

You can see how he does it here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNiblp32Qq0

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 14:58:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starting a Cafe Build! Read sets and Swingarm Mods

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.