Send Topic Print
No lights no start (Read 57 times)
Bohica88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

No lights no start
08/10/24 at 21:43:46

Got the bike back together and fired up. Took it for a couple test rides, no issues. Had all my lights. Then when I went to ride it home from my friend's place I forgot to turn the fuel on and it died. no start with the button so had to push start. Got it going and home, luckily it was still light out but I had no lights. Except the speedo light that I could see.

Oh and when I shut the bike off it lets out a loud pop out the exhaust like a backfire. Doesn't backfire any other time while running.

« Last Edit: 08/13/24 at 11:59:37 by Bohica88 »  

03 savage bobbed by previous owner. (Hack job) custom handle bars, springer seat, wrapped header, pod filter. Work in progress
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: No lights
Reply #1 - 08/11/24 at 03:31:15

The pop at shut off is a trademark of the Savage.  When you turn off the ignition the spinning engine pumps fuel/air into the hot exhaust header where it gets heated up and explodes in the exhaust.

I have not considered this before - but the header has an inner and outer pipe.....perhaps this allows the inner pipe to get much hotter than if it was a single wall pipe.

Allowing the engine to idle a little bit prior to shut down can sometimes help.  A lean mixture tends to make a louder bang, a high idle speed pumps more fuel/air into the header than a proper 1,100-1,200 rpm idle speed.

My bike doesn't do it - some do.  The noise can vary from a gentle "Woof".......to a loud shotgun blast! Grin

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #2 - 08/11/24 at 05:33:17

Test/charge the battery.  The Savage likes 12.6v or higher (rested, and not hot off the charger).  Take the battery to an auto parts store and make sure it doesn’t have a dead cell.  Even if it reads 12v, it can still have a dead cell.  Multimeters are great for testing voltage, but they won’t tell you if there is a dead cell.  You need special battery testing equipment to determine that.

And what Dave said about the “dog fart” at shut off.  Usually just a little “pooooof”, but it can also be a “bang, pow, kaboom” 💥 like in the Batman cartoons.

IP Logged
Bohica88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/11/24 at 07:45:18

Should have mentioned that this is a new battery but I will be pulling it and checking it then putting it on the charger. Then checking my wiring.  I'll check my carb settings it seems high to me as far as idle.

03 savage bobbed by previous owner. (Hack job) custom handle bars, springer seat, wrapped header, pod filter. Work in progress
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #4 - 08/11/24 at 15:47:11

Just because it's a new battery doesn't mean its fully charged or guaranteed healthy (there are duds).  They can ofter sit on a shelf a while before being sold and put into use.

Make sure your connections are tight too.

IP Logged
Bohica88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/11/24 at 21:15:42

Yea. Today I found my connection from the rectifier with the yellow wires what a loose wire. I replaced the whole connection. New gm weatherpack type. So that connection should be good to go now. Lol.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #6 - 08/12/24 at 04:00:13

Yep, those yellow wires are coming from the alternator.  Kinda important.

Charge the battery, check those connections again too (and the ground connection near the bottom backside of the motor).  Start the bike.  With a multimeter connected to the battery, you should get 13.5 volts or higher.  If you rev up the bike, ideally you’d want to see 14+ volts on the multimeter.  This would indicate the alternator is charging the battery.  Over 15 volts would be another problem (likely a bad regulator/rectifier).

IP Logged
Bohica88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/12/24 at 18:27:51

Well charged the battery fully let it rest as bit then put it in the bike. Only lights working one the bike are the speedo light and my led tail lights. No other lights and no crank. I jumped from battery to starter and it fired right up without hesitation. Time to study wiring diagrams. And I wanted to ride it to work tomorrow. Just got my endorsement put on my license today. It's been a long time waiting for this moment.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #8 - 08/13/24 at 06:33:59

Hopefully someone else can chime in.  I’m no expert on electrical issues (hate electrical).

When you put the key in the on/run position, the headlight should also come on.  Since the low amp LED taillight and speedo light come on, you are getting “some” juice, but not enough.  I would check the battery ground wire connection at the frame and the hot wire at the starter relay for tight connections (and good wires).  When you are able to jump start it, you are bypassing those connections.

IP Logged
Bohica88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: No lights no start
Reply #9 - 08/14/24 at 05:40:20

Update. After printing a wiring diagram and tracing wires for a couple days. Testing connections as I go. I pulled the tank. Long story short it ended up being the connection for the left side controls which has the clutch switch. Bingo!! We have lift off. When I put the tank on before I must have loosened it and it jiggled apart. Broke a screw on the ignition switch so rn it's hot wired till I can get the rest of the screw removed. But it's alive and I rode it to work. Thanks guys. For the help

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 10:36:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › No lights no start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.