Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Pod filter and breather hose (Read 157 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Pod filter and breather hose
Reply #15 - 07/30/24 at 09:19:53

This is what the breather box looks like.  It was made from thinwall square tubing with metal ends welded on, and it also has studs welded on for mounting.  The holes on the right side is connected to a metal tube that goes about 2/3rd the way into the breather box and it is connected to the breather tube on top of the engine.  The tube on the left is connected to a short pipe that terminates high in the breather box and the tube goes to the carb intake.  The yellow cap on the bottom came from the stock airbox and is removed to drain the box.

(Excuse the mud splashed on the bike.....there was a water main break on our street and I had to ride through it to get home).

IMG_3733_001.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 07/30/24 at 09:24:07

The breather box is filled with stainless steel scrubby material that was pulled to loosen it up and make it fit a rectangular box (I may have used a couple of them).

IMG_3734.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 07/30/24 at 11:12:45

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #18 - 07/30/24 at 16:25:35

Paul, you are misunderstanding what I am saying.  When you don't have a filter on the end of the breather tube, dirt gets sucked up the breather tube when the piston goes up.  That dirt ends up in your oil system.  You stated that you have the breather tube hooked up to the nipple on your airbox and that you have removed the flat panel filter and plastic side cover.  As such, there is no filtration for the breather tube.  Yes, oil coming out will end up in the bottom of the airbox, but nothing prevents dirt from being sucked up your breather tube and into the engine.  The breather flows "out" when the piston comes down, but it flows "in" when the piston goes up.

Versy, have you tried that catch can yet?  It looks mighty fine, and I was hopin that you would try it and possibly take some manometer readings.  The umbrella valve is a lot bigger than mine, and you have significantly more perforations below the umbrella.  I'm curious if it will improve crankcase vacuum.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #19 - 07/30/24 at 16:40:17

Mike, I don't think I totally misunderstood.  Yes, I was only talking about when it pukes out and not when it sucks in.  

It is the stock design.  So, Suzuki wasn't too worried about dirt getting sucked into the tube inside and at the top of the air box and then getting pulled into the head cover.  And/or the stainless steel wad filter in the head cover is working both ways - when it breathes in and out.  I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.  I'll just have to skip off-road riding.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #20 - 07/30/24 at 17:25:22

What you are missing is that the stock system places the breather port in the airbox downstream of the air filter element.  The air available to the breather is "filtered" air.  When you remove the stock air filter element, you provide "unfiltered" air to the breather port.  All manner of trash is gonna get sucked into the engine, especially with the plastic side cover removed too.  At least put the flat panel filter back in.  It won't affect your pod filter performance and it will help keep trash out of your crankcase ventilation system.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 07/30/24 at 22:01:56

DragBikeMike wrote on 07/30/24 at 16:25:35:
Versy, have you tried that catch can yet?  It looks mighty fine, and I was hopin that you would try it and possibly take some manometer readings.  The umbrella valve is a lot bigger than mine, and you have significantly more perforations below the umbrella.  I'm curious if it will improve crankcase vacuum.

yes I installed it before our last texas ride.  1 thing is for sure, didn't use much oil.
I'll have to revisit your thread to see how you set up the meters.

WWW   IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #22 - 07/31/24 at 05:21:31

Thanks Mike.  I see your point.  But it would be a crazy path for debris to find its way to the breather hose in the air box.  The most likely offender around here would be dry grass clippings in the road.  

I’ll put the stock air panel filter back in there (especially since I have a brand new still in the box).  You make a valid point that I really hadn’t taken very seriously up until now.  Thanks for putting up with my banter!

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #23 - 07/31/24 at 20:24:54

What about a check valve in that hose? Lets air out but closes when it tries to suck air in. There is bound to be a pcv valve that fits that hose.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #24 - 08/01/24 at 00:20:41

This is an example of what sort of crud is flying around in that airbox.  My K&N at the 10,000-mile cleaning interval.  There is a lot of trash floatin around in that airbox.  I confine my riding to paved roads.  I don't think my Savage has ever been off a paved city road or freeway.

Dirty_Filter.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #25 - 08/01/24 at 05:44:34

That’s definitely an ugly filter, Mike.  I’m shocked you, of all people, would let it get that bad!  

Maybe that big dirty vacuum sucks away any grim that the little breather hose vacuum might try to suck…. The big piggy ain’t letting the little piggy eat trash.   Wink Roll Eyes

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 08/01/24 at 17:18:48

Mike,

I'm amazed at how much you ride your bike!!  

I know you are blessed with nice weather in HI but early on I assumed you spent most of your time tinkering.  I was pleasantly surprised when I realized you rack up the miles too.  

#extrarespect

Smiley

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #27 - 08/01/24 at 23:14:30

The interesting thing about air filters is that the dirtier they get the better they filter.  As they get filled up with dirt, they trap even more dirt.  You don't have to be concerned about a dirty air filter letting dirt get into your engine.  They filter better as the crud builds up.  On the other hand, flow is diminished.  That cruddy filter was flowin just fine, but if I kept goin without cleaning the critter, I would have started to see a decrease in performance as the dirty filter choked off the air.  Oil filters are not as forgiving.  You keep fillin an oil filter with crud and pretty soon the bypass relief lifts and lets the unfiltered sludge run all through your motor.

I have two of those K&N cylindrical air filters.  When the one on the bike gets dirty enough (about 10K), I remove it and install a pre-cleaned and oiled spare.  Then over the next 10K miles I find the time to clean up the dirty filter, oil it, and store it for the next filter swap.  The filters look terrible after 10K miles, but there is never any dirt in my induction system.

Ohio, thanks for the kudos.  The first few years I was a member of the forum, I was all wrapped up in trying new mods and engine combos.  Testing those only required several thousand miles at most.  Gradually, as I zeroed in on what I thought was the best and most reliable combination, I transitioned into long-term testing.  Once I figured out how to make really good power, and keep the engine & trans in one-piece, I focused on proving the combo with bona fide long-term tests (minimum 10K).  This island is a very small place, but it is drop-dead gorgeous, and the weather is almost always favorable.  Testing requires riding.  Riding is fun.  So even if I see the same scenery over & over, it's always fun.  Being a member of this forum is the best motorcycling experience I have ever had (been on 2 wheels since 1968).  It don't get any better than SuzukiSavage.com.  Always something to learn; always something to share.

BTW, I love your standard setup.  My back wishes I had done that mod.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
JOG
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longview, Texas
Reply #28 - 08/03/24 at 14:59:09

You don't have to be concerned about a dirty air filter letting dirt get into your engine

I'm gonna pretend I'm Snopse and put up my imaginary Truthiness gauge and label that Possibly true,, and point out that as it gets dirtier and more restrictive the crud starts to experience a stronger sukkshion from the intake stroke. Couple that with the effects of heat and vibration on the old crud, potentially breaking it into finer particles that can pass through the filter, I'd tend to lean towards a Reasonably maintained air filter.
A dirty filter filters better, up to a point, discovering that point scientifically would take some time and effort. An airbox with two filters, separated by a few inches, would show how much the first one allowed past. New,clean filters are not perfect, I suspect. There are some variables to figure out, but I'm leaning towards
Blow it out every other oil change.
If you have vehicles and you don't have a battery charger and a compressor,, you are not doing it right. If all you have budget and room for is a pancake compressor, then do that.
How bad would it suck to have a tire low enough that you don't want to drive on it,but, no compressor? Just pump Fix-A-Flat in it and have someone deal with it? Nasty..
Sometimes tires need air,, pretty much Every winter the TPM on the car declares I have a low tire. Even a pancake compressor will fire off a 1/2" impact for a few seconds. Enough to break a lugnut. Stop when it turns on. The duty cycle on those things isn't great. Ya gotta let it catch up or it won't last. And it needs its highest pressures to make the impact Impactful..

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #29 - 08/03/24 at 16:07:16

This all sounds like my logic for only washing my truck a few times a year.  The dirt acts as a UV blocker (SPF 80) and protects the paint.  The paint looks marvelous when I do finally wash and wax my 12 year old truck.   Cool

Pounding Houston rains are my free go-between car washes.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 15:08:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Pod filter and breather hose

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.