Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Rear seat without the rear fender chrome (Read 75 times)
jonathans
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rear seat without the rear fender chrome
07/20/24 at 14:58:53

Has anyone removed the chrome from the rear fender and still carry a passenger? I'm wondering it provides needed support to the fender to hold a passenger.

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Rear seat without the rear fender chrome
Reply #1 - 07/20/24 at 23:46:19

The side rails aren't structural

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #2 - 07/21/24 at 05:16:04

Agree with Philly, they aren’t structural.  The parts diagram calls them “pillion handles”.  I guess a passenger could clench their fingertips under the bottom side of it during “oh nuts” moments, but I wouldn’t call them handles.  Aside from being fender ornamentals, they have 2 functional purposes as I see it - 1) rear turn signal mounts, and 2) sissy bar mount.  We discussed that in your other post.  I’d be glad to sell you the “pillion handles” (ornamental chrome fender bling) and sissy bar if you want to play with it.  Message me if you are interested.  

Providing measurements of precisely where the pillion handle bolts go into the fenders is virtually impossible to describe.  Like I said in your other post, if you just want to add a sissy bar, figure out where you want to mount it and drill a couple holes where you need in the fender.  You don’t need the pillion handles to add a custom sissy bar.

IP Logged
jonathans
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/21/24 at 07:41:42

Thanks ThumperPaul. I think you have me mixed up with someone else, I never posted about this before.  Smiley Though I did try searching to see if anyone else did--came up empty.

I was thinking about taking these off to put aftermarket turn signals directly into the rear "pinion handle" fender holes, and then the existing hardware leaves chrome cap nuts and screws to nicely fill the remaining fender holes. The rear seat looks so much nicer without the back rest.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #4 - 07/21/24 at 09:00:49

Sorry.  You’re right.  It was another member, Peng.  My bad.

I’ve had a few of these bikes with and without the backrest.  I can’t decide which I like better.  The sissy bar is a convenient place to hang your helmet if you don’t want to use the helmet lock.  I don’t ride 2-up so I really don’t need the sissy bar.  I guess I kinda like the appearance without the sissy bar a little better (sleeker, less chopper).  Ask me again tomorrow and I’ll change my mind.   Grin

You’ll want shorter bolts if you delete the pillion handles and just plug the pretty cap nuts in there to hide the holes.  There are actually no holes in the fender where the turn signals mount (the turn signal mount holes are part of the pillion handles).  So you’ll need to drill some holes there to accommodate whatever turn signal you choose.  Or just ditch the turn signals all together.  They aren't required for inspection in Texas and the cagers don’t pay attention anyway.  It also prevents you from forgetting to turn them off for 20 miles.  lol.

Philly has the gangster look going on and has the bullet holes in his fender.  But he lives in the city of brotherly love, Philly.  So it’s kinda a safety/security feature for him.  LOOK - that dude’s been shot at!!  He must be a badass!  Give him room!  Stay back 50 feet!

« Last Edit: 07/21/24 at 13:57:36 by ThumperPaul »  
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/21/24 at 10:23:47

The side rails add structure to the rear fender.  I'm not an engineer and
don't play one on forums, but I believe they are more than just decorations.  

Is the support needed to carry passengers?  

IDK, I'm not an engineer.    Wink

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #6 - 07/21/24 at 10:44:26

ohiomoto wrote on 07/21/24 at 10:23:47:
The side rails add structure to the rear fender.  I'm not an engineer and
don't play one on forums, but I believe they are more than just decorations.  

Is the support needed to carry passengers?  

IDK, I'm not an engineer.    Wink

Well….some of the newer models don’t even have the chrome pillion handles.  So…. Suzuki engineers must have decided they don’t do much except add extra weight.  I suppose they probably add some “crush zone” protection for the rear fender in the event you get plowed into by some cager texting and driving.  You’ll have a broken neck but the fender won’t be quite as badly disfigured.

They must do something awesome though, cuz they are $158 EACH on Partzilla.com.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/21/24 at 14:11:03

Every LS650 Suzuki sold in the US had them - even if some were "blacked out" - and I don't think they were added for crash protection.  

Jonathan's question raises a good point.  The rear fender could fail prematurely without those brackets.

The mod might be fine but I would check for excessive fender deflection or vibration compared to the stock configuration. Periodic inspections for deformations and developing cracks would be a good idea.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #8 - 07/21/24 at 14:34:37

I guess I was misinformed about the pillion handles.

IP Logged
jonathans
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/21/24 at 19:18:19

Oh boy. I guess just skinny girls for a while.
I like how it looks, though.

514EEC0D-017F-4149-BF14-0F80455AAECF.JPG
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #10 - 07/22/24 at 04:39:30

Yep, no fat chicks!  It does look sleek and the mini turn signals look good on the bike.

I had to go in the garage last night and look at the pillion handles.  I suppose the 3 bolts and the handles would act as stress members and help distribute the weight of a load more forward towards the frame.

Glad OhioMoto chimed in to comment.  This way, if you decide to delete the handles, you’ll know not to load up fat chicks.

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/22/24 at 04:41:43

The side rails bolt on about an inch past where the fender mounts to the frame, and have no connection to the frame. The fender itself has a reinforced section which the side rails do not bolt near.

I think the rails contribute to a load on the fender much more than they are structurally supporting anything.

I've ridden two up with mine off plenty of times

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #12 - 07/22/24 at 05:41:36

I see your point, Philly.  When I studied it last night, I loosened the all the bolts.  I have a sissy bar.  When the bolts are tightened back up, it pulls the whole thing together and the sissy bar becomes something of a cross-support tying it all together.  I’m not an engineer either, but something is happening there (at least with the sissy bar in play).  But, your personal experience with 2-up riding does make the point that it’s not essential.  If your fender develops a structural crease, please let us know.

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/22/24 at 07:05:40

I think the rails help distribute the load for the sissy bar but I I don't think the fender itself. Just my two cents.

IP Logged
jonathans
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 07/22/24 at 08:20:24

One thing not to overlook is that the 2 side chrome brackets are rigidly connected by the sissy bar/backrest. I've given the fender itself some more thought, (and thank all you for doing the same!) and I feel confident the seat can support as much downward force without as with the chrome. But I am thinking that the whole U-shaped 3-piece rigid pinion and backrest could serve to prevent the fender from wagging laterally.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/07/24 at 17:44:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear seat without the rear fender chrome

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.