Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Headlight rotates over time due to vibrations (Read 52 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Headlight rotates over time due to vibrations
07/06/24 at 14:11:58

I'm running a British style side mount 7" headlight bucket with a Candlepower glass headlamp. I've had to pull the headlamp out of the bucket a couple times to realign it, since it seems to rotate slowly over time. Last time I adjusted I added a couple more clips, so it's supported with 6 of 'em now.

Went for a 100 mile ride through the hills and tunnels of the Peak-to-Peak highway this morning. When I got back, it was waaaay rotated.

wonky.jpg

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Re: Headlight rotates over time due to vibrations
Reply #1 - 07/06/24 at 14:13:03

You can see how much CCW rotation there is.
That black dot is the RF tag for the ExpressLanes here, and it's usually straight down.

CCW_rotation.jpg

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - 07/06/24 at 14:14:37

The ring isn't rotating, it's the headlamp inside the ring. Here's where I have the 6 clips. I was sure to capture the three protrusions on the back of the headlamp this time.

6_clips.jpg

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 07/06/24 at 14:16:00

And this shows where the tab on the ring aligns with the slot on the bottom of the bucket. So I know that's not the problem.

Any ideas on how to keep this thing from rotating? Undecided

bottom_slot_and_tab.jpg

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/06/24 at 14:42:22

well... you obviously got a left handed headlight in a right handed bucket.

I assume the glass is not bonded to the ring?  so that's what I would do.

plumbers putty might do the trick.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 07/06/24 at 15:04:20

Place a couple of dabs of silicone in a few places - so that the glass is lightly stuck to the chrome rim.....then put the clips in.  (Wipe off any silicone that shows before it cures).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #6 - 07/06/24 at 15:42:48

2-sided gorilla tape

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - 07/06/24 at 15:54:09

Thanks! I'll try some of these ideas. Riding in circles real fast didn't seem to help!
How are other headlights held in place?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 07/06/24 at 16:56:46

The side mount headlight bucket that I bought has a retainer made of two rings that lock together and pinch the headlight in between, then that affair goes into the headlight ring.  It allows you to make left/right adjustment to aim the light.  The retainer has slots that hold the lugs cast into the glass.
https://www.dimecitycycles.com/7-satin-black-headlight-bucket.html

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - 07/07/24 at 06:52:54

Angry New discovery. The glass lens is actually rotating on the metal housing of the lamp.

Recommendations for a 7" headlamp?

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #10 - 07/07/24 at 07:30:23

My father used to tell me pay attention try to learn something new everyday. I have a huge selection of adhesives, glues & sealants for my motorcycles but never , ever expected to be adding plumbers putty to that list ! Thanks Versy , I’m done learning for today ! Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #11 - 07/07/24 at 07:36:09

Found another Candlepower lamp! They seem to be rare anymore.
In the meantime, I used Gorilla super glue gel and DAP Rapid Fuse around the seam between the glass and the metal. We'll see how that holds up to the vibration. Especially on nonporous glass and metal!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 07/07/24 at 08:02:45

Ruttly wrote on 07/07/24 at 07:30:23:
My father used to tell me pay attention try to learn something new everyday. I have a huge selection of adhesives, glues & sealants for my motorcycles but never , ever expected to be adding plumbers putty to that list ! Thanks Versy , I’m done learning for today ! Grin

I've redone a few shower doors and after it's been in there for decades, it's still sticky, and pliable.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 07/08/24 at 03:56:57

Tocsik wrote on 07/07/24 at 07:36:09:
Found another Candlepower lamp! They seem to be rare anymore.

Yep - New cars all have unique lights that are specific to that car - the days of the "universal" headlight are over.  Very few companies are still making round headlights anymore - and a lot of the new ones have plastic lenses rather than glass.

You can often find some original ones on eBay - both Candlepower and Hella are good.  It does take some sorting through to find the good stuff.  Avoid the ones that have the extra running lamp inside the reflector (unless you want that for some reason - it is used in countries that require you to have a light on when you park on the street at night).

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 06:13:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Headlight rotates over time due to vibrations

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.