Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Removing the wheels for new tires question… (Read 138 times)
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Removing the wheels for new tires question…
Reply #15 - 07/04/24 at 20:00:04

I just picked up some shinko 230s. Haven't installed yet but I can tell you right away these things are SOFT. I'm pretty excited to get them on

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 07/04/24 at 20:14:25

transam4life wrote on 07/04/24 at 18:02:11:
What do you guys recommend for new tires in 2024?

How many miles do you ride in a year?  What kind of weather conditions.

The kind of mileage varies greatly with the kind of roads you ride and the temperatures.  Fifty degree days are far easier on a tire than a 90 degree day.  Pavement can be smooth asphalt or very aggressive chip seal - the roads in Arkansas are really hard on tires as the aggregate is small and sharp!

Lower cost or performance tires will generally last 6 - 8,000 miles - if it takes you 5 years to rack up those kind of miles then get the Shinko Tourmaster.

If you ride 20,000 miles in 5 years - get the Michelin Commander.  They are expensive - but not as expensive as 3 sets of cheaper tires.

The 130/90-15 tire is a nice fit for the bike.  Plenty of width for a 30HP bike!  (The 60 HP bikes in the 70's had 110/90 rear tires and can be ridden faster than the Savage).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
transam4life

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 07/04/24 at 23:00:37

Well I have a 2008 model year and I have 25k miles…so I’ve been averaging 2k a year. I wish I could ride more, but always so busy.

I live in the desert so hot temperatures and no rain are common.

My current set is manufactured March of 2017 so it’s over 7 years old…which is probably even more considering how the desert is to rubber. I could prob push them another 1k miles or so, but considering the age it’s prob not a good idea. Plus the front tube is flat so I’m going to pay for labor I might as well swap the tire out.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 07/05/24 at 03:41:05

I believe the wet weather traction is what suffers first as a tire ages - that seems to happen with my car tires as well.

As my car tires age I notice they will start to spin easier when I leave a stop on wet pavement.  My car is front wheel drive and stick shift......and the tires get slippery and need to be replaced before I actually wear off all the tread.

One of the cycle magazines tested new tires that were beyond the recommended 5 year age - and they used a race track to record lap times with the aged tires.  They determined that they were still good tires - I believe they should have tested the traction in the wet prior to declaring the tires were still good!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #19 - 07/05/24 at 04:18:31

Everything Dave said!  I’m liking the Shinko 230 Tour Master tires that Dave recommended.  I wanted cheap and sticky, and they do that well.  I haven’t had them very long, so I can’t speak to mileage and longevity.  I’ll probably only put 2-3k miles per year on them.  

Houston roads are definitely hot and most of the roads I ride are concrete or fairly smooth asphalt.

I found Motosport had the best online price for the Shinko after comparing total cost (with and without fees of some sellers).  They have a “combo price” on front/rear.  But shop around - you might be able to save $5-$10 on the set.

https://www.motosport.com/shinko-230-tour-master-tire-combo

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #20 - Yesterday at 06:36:59

I'm also running the Tourmaster 230's with a 130/90 rear. Good price and good tread. I will say these track in grooves a lot more than the Michelin Commander II's I had on previously.

I took both tires off at the same time but used a poor man's MC jack that was really long. I put eye bolts on and used straps to hold the bike stable. I've done that both times I've put new tires on.

My version is on the bottom of the first page in this thread:
https://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=110037934

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #21 - Yesterday at 07:48:56

I give up!  I just want the wheel hub off this thing.  Tire is 23 years old!  The inner tube was still holding air somehow.

Something called a Chang Shin Tire (or something like that).

About to whip out the hacksaw, chainsaw, reciprocating saw, cutoff wheel, and plunge cutter!  Maybe finish up with some tin snips.

IMG_4797-compressed.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #22 - Yesterday at 07:56:23

Hey, I got it!  What a pain in the A$$!

IMG_4799-compressed.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #23 - Yesterday at 08:02:33

I guess I can recommend the IRC inner tubes!  How this thing is still alive is a miracle!   Shocked

IMG_4801-compressed.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #24 - Yesterday at 08:03:33

IRC Rocks!

IMG_4802-compressed.jpeg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - Yesterday at 15:01:31

Just a bit of trivia.

IRC is short for:  Inoue Rubber Company.

In the old days they put INOUE on the tire - rather than IRC.

https://ircbike.com/pages/about

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #26 - Yesterday at 15:39:57

GMC!  GET MY COFFEE!

IP Logged
transam4life

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - Yesterday at 20:57:44

https://ibb.co/yQqSbNk

The jack stand trick on the foot pegs worked great for removing the front tire. My tube was flat…the tech said that the rim strip had gone bad from age and the spoke nipples wore a hole in the tube. It was a IRC tube and Kenda rim strip. I was just going to replace the tube and rim strip at first, but the tire was 7 years old, so I replaced the tire as well. I ended up going with the D404, I figured don’t fix what ain’t broken.

Now I have to work on the rear…I think I’m going to get a Dunlop K555 again. So is the easiest way to lift the rear just using a floor jack on the rear frame support?

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #28 - Today at 05:28:07

Yes, the flat underside of the muffler mount bracket works good.  It’s like it was designed as a jack location.  Secure the handlebar/front forks with something because when you lift the rear the weight balance will shift to the front and the handlebar/forks will need to be steady — especially when you bust that axle nut/bolt free and reinstalling.  You don’t want to throw the bike on the ground when you’re torque-ing around back there.

Note: You will curse the little screw holding the lower and upper belt guards together.  Be prepared to drop a few F-bombs!  You have to be able to rotate the upper belt guard forward and out of the way.  And if you have the stock license plate bracket and license plate on it, remove the license plate (you can leave the bracket on).  You’ll want every available inch possible when removing the wheel from the swing arm.  If you don’t remove it first, you’ll see what I mean when you get there!  Wink

Take pictures as you go to help remember exactly where things are… like belt tension marks, brake adjustment position, and left/right axle spacers.  You’ll want to check your belt and brake adjustment positions while you’re down there, but at least you’ll know where they were set before you tore it down (good starting point for reassembly).

Ye good ole Dunlop D404s.  I liked those on a previous S40 I had.  In fact, they’re what I just replaced with the Shinkos on my current bike.  I don’t know what kind of miles they had on ‘em, but they weren’t dry rotted after 8 years and still had good tread.

IP Logged
transam4life

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - Today at 11:35:44

Thanks all the tips.

This might be a silly question, but will a floor jack hold pressure for a day or two without the use of a jack stand? Is the something else I could use under the bike while I’m jacking it up as backup?

Also…for the rear tire should I go with the stock size 140/80/15 K555 or do the D404 in the 130/90/15 size? Not sure what the difference is between the K555 and D404…

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/07/24 at 16:27:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Removing the wheels for new tires question…

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.