Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Cheap LS650 You Found (Read 59 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
The Cheap LS650 You Found
06/24/24 at 06:17:13

I’m a sucker for a cheap LS650.  I like these relatively simple big single starter bikes.  I’m on my 5th fixer now (it’s actually not worth saving, so it’s getting scavengered for a few things and parted out).

When you find ‘em cheap, it’s fair to say they’ve been owned by a non-mechanically inclined person that also doesn’t want to pay a shop for even basic maintenance.

Here’s the classic list of what I find.
1) Tires are 10+ years old and dry rotted.  When you get the shoes off, you’re amazed that the dry rotted inner tube can still hold air.
2) Oil is totally black and/or smells like it has a quart of gas mixed into it.
3) The oil filter looks more like a plug than a filter.
4) The air filter also looks like a plug and you can’t identify the collection of insects or rodents that have been chewing on it and nesting in the air box.
5) The battery is dead as a doornail and no amount of charging is going to fix a bad cell.
6) The carburetor usually looks “okay” on the outside (maybe some rust on the top and throttle cable bracket).  Are these hoses supposed to be plugged in some where?  What hoses, ain’t got no hoses…? Pull the float bowl and it looks like an Exxon experiment on how to make algae fuel.  Not terribly surprising is that the brass plug covering the “tamper proof” air/fuel mix screw is gone.  Sometimes Hurcules can’t even turn the screw, and if he can, he finds it set in some weird place (maybe 0 turns out, maybe 5 turns out).
7) The front brake caliper piston is stuck like chuck.  If you can roll the bike easily on to the trailer, you’re having a good day.
8) Is 3/4” throttle free play too much?  What’s freeplay?
9) Humm, the clutch lever is touching the grip without squeezing on it.  I wonder if it needs some attention?
10) I wonder where the battery box cover and side tins went?
11) I still haven’t found one with the key for the fork lock…. Where do those things go?
12) How much rust should be in the gas tank?  Why does it smell like varnish in there?
13) Apparently no one uses the rear brake.  The shoes always have 75+% remaining.
14) Once you finally get it to where it might start, you realize you should have done a valve lash clearance check and decomp solenoid check before you put the key in the ignition.
15) What’s that sound on the lower/mid right side of the motor?  Is that some kind or chain making a noise?  Isn’t there an adjuster or something for that?
16) Are most people really too cheap to title and register the bike in their name?

Once I go through the list with the seller, the price I’m willing to pay is down to $600-$800.  #16 is worth another $300 off the asking price.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: The Cheap LS650 You Found
Reply #1 - 06/24/24 at 07:29:25

Good Morning Paul  Smiley

I've only had two of them but both had some of the same issues you have found.

The first one was all complete and ready to go till I went to pick it up in a neighboring State.
Then it was :
"Well , the Title hasn't got back from Raleigh yet ... but I'll mail it as soon as it arrives ! "
The muffler had the end cut off of it and was so loud I couldn't hear the cam  jumping up and down in its bearings.  It was idled at 400 RPM after it warmed up.
But , it was beautiful !
I was in LUST with the GOLD 1996 color and couldn't just go back home empty .     Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed  Undecided Roll Eyes

Some times we do live and learn !

The Second One ,
I did better on this one.   It only had about 2k miles on it and was in my home state.   It was on the other end of the State ... but still no out of State issues for me !  
So the Car Dealer had a young feller working for her who made sure the bike would crank-up the next day for my arrival .   He might have made sure it RODE GOOD TOO ?
So
I show up with my truck and the Battery is Dead-DEAD  Roll Eyes  
Why did bikes come with a "Parking-Light" ?
Well after 30 minutes of small talk while waiting on the battery charger to do its stuff ... it still don't have juice to spin the motor and fire the spark at the same time.
Never to fear ... we can "JUMP-IT-OFF" ,
Sure it started right up , idled at 1200 rpm and sounded NEW with its factory muffler .
Yeeee-Hawww , I hit the JACK-POT !!!  Smiley Wink Smiley Smiley
Till
I took it for a ride .
It wouldn't get above 3000 rpm and stumbled really bad the more I tried.
The battery needed more charge , but wasn't it charging as it ran ???
So, the price came down the price of a Stator ($150.oo) and I loaded it up - a new battery later I rode it for the next 10+ years !   Smiley
It never idled below 1300 rpm for the entire time I had it.

I'm tempted to look for a new LS-650 but I just put a Belt drive on the 350cc version of the LS-400 I have in STOCK .   I don't need to go as fast as I used to go anyway , maybe I'll live longer ?    Smiley

2017_Savage_008.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #2 - 06/24/24 at 07:44:16

They are wonder machines that can't be modified enough !

HardBags2mp_011.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Michael Moore

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

In the fog of San Francisco
Reply #3 - 06/24/24 at 10:39:02

#16 is the walkaway indicator for me on any vehicle now.  I passed on a clean running Savage for $1300 local to me 6 weeks ago because of that (and I had the cash in my pocket to do a deal).  I've been down that path before and the fees/penalties/hassles mean that no "bargain" is bargain enough for me if it doesn't have squeeky-clean paperwork.

WWW   IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #4 - 06/24/24 at 13:35:06

Hey M&Ms!  Good stories MMRanch!

Are like half the gurus on this forum named Mike!!

Michael Moore - I've hassled with 2 no title bike situations.  I think I'm done with those!  I hear ya!!

Are these bikes supposed to have 4 turn signals?  LOL.  I haven't bought one yet that has 4 stock OEM turn signals (not broken or missing or some totally misplaced looking cheesy signals installed).

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 06/24/24 at 13:56:37

MMRanch - What does this mean?  "but I just put a Belt drive on the 350cc version of the LS-400 I have in STOCK".  Can you clarify?

I think back in the day, Suzuki made a Savage LS-400.  396cc (88mm bore, 65.2mm stroke).  Is this what you are talking about?  I know you have the Royal Enfield 350 Meteor that you've built up.

OH, PS - you still ride with a lot of giddy-up! You were working the twisties in the Hill Country pretty darn good on your Super Meteor 650!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 06/24/24 at 20:11:17

Hay Paul

The folks in India have come up with a Belt Drive System for the 350-J machines.   Gates Poly Chain 20mm x 11mm Pitch to replace the 520 size chains.

There is one for the 650 bikes also , its like the Harley belts (20mm x 14mm pitch-Gates Poly Chain.)  but my original chain is still too new to just throw away.

I think I'd like the LS400 .    I've gotten as close to it as I can with the 72mmx86mm B&S Meteor , and now it's Belt Drive too !  Smiley   You wouldn't believe how much it feels like a new production 25HP Suzuki LS series machine .   I can get a new Jug and Piston to bring it to 410cc ... but Its "ENOUGH" like it is now.  

That # 16 cost me the price of a titled frame and the time to switch all the parts over to the new (to me) frame.
But
I did meet a bunch of Really Good Friends because of it !   Smiley
In hind-sight it worked  out  to be a blessing .   Wink

« Last Edit: 06/24/24 at 21:15:10 by MMRanch »  

J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #7 - 06/29/24 at 09:01:21

#1.  "The tires have tons of tread on them!  You won't need new ones for a while."  Um, wrong.  They are 10 years old, hardened, and there is no grip.
#2.  "There is plenty of oil in it. Take it for a ride."  Ooops, it was 'gas-oil', and the tires might fly apart anyway.
#6. The plug was gone on my last purchased bike, but the idiot storing/maintaining it for the owner fortunately never got inside the carburetor to ruin it.  The spacer in the 2012 was even THICKER than my 2003.
#10.  The aforementioned idiot lost it in his shop and said he would send it to me.  That never happened.  It was easily found at Partszilla for a lot of money.
#11.  The same place the spare key goes.  I've never bought a used cycle with 2 keys.  People are just lazy.  Why not be conscientioius?
#13.  They never went to a MSF class I guess.
#16.  I got burned big time 2 years ago with this.  I bought it from TX, and I just had too much faith it would work out.  The title was from 2 owners ago.  The middle owner (ex-con) never titled it.  Nor did his lawyer (my seller), who accepted the bike as payment.  A lawyer should have known not to sell it.  I should have known not to buy it.  I had no idea how stupidly strict my state (LA) would be.  I had the original last/only title the bike ever had, so I thought I could work it out with my state/local government.  Nope.  Incompetence/apathy all around.  By some miracle, the lawyer got the original owner from 2012 to sign off on the pretty much mutilated title and got me a title in his name.  They conveniently left out the middle ex-con buyer.  As a nice parting shot, the lawyer's secretary had filled his name in the WRONG section of the brand-new title.  My title company at home was able to fix that.  This process took MONTHS of nagging.  DON'T DO IT.

The maintenance idiot mentioned above got the bike ready to sell.  As well as the toolkit cover, he lost several screws, replaced other screws with incorrect ones, and managed to cut a big groove in the belt by dropping a battery screw near the front pulley.  A couple of the directional signals were missing screws too.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #8 - 06/29/24 at 15:12:04

MM - That's cool.  Yeah, dog that chain until its toast!

JMac - I remember your Texas title saga and it being a lawyer selling it.  That's just messed up!  The whole bonded title process in Texas is a convoluted nightmare.  I can't imagine Louisiana being worse, but...there ya go!

IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #9 - 06/29/24 at 15:40:11

ThumperPaul wrote on 06/29/24 at 15:12:04:
MM - That's cool.  Yeah, dog that chain until its toast!

JMac - I remember your Texas title saga and it being a lawyer selling it.  That's just messed up!  The whole bonded title process in Texas is a convoluted nightmare.  I can't imagine Louisiana being worse, but...there ya go!

Haha, Paul, I'm already repeating myself out here I see.  LA is worse, because there isn't a bonded title procedure at all.  I was halfway considering just slapping my Ryker plate on the LS650 when I rode it since both were insured.  It's funny how you can insure a vehicle that isn't even registered yet.  Yeah, it's my farm vehicle.  Yeah, that's it.  Someday.  When I have a farm.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/01/24 at 12:35:34

General CategoryThe Cafe › The Cheap LS650 You Found

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.