Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Engine cuts off while riding (Read 38 times)
radleymfg
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Engine cuts off while riding
06/17/24 at 22:23:21

Hello gang, I am recently a proud owner of a 2001 Suzuki Savage that I got for a great deal and this forum has been a huge help so far. Been trying to ride everyday but I am currently running into some issues that I hope you all can help with!

The first few weeks of owning the bike it ran great. Then after that there began issues with it not starting up and dying mid ride as well as a fuel leak. I ended up going in and fixing the main culprits by changing the petcock to the Raptor, fixing the speedometer rattle (now the headlight is rattling lol), changed the spark plugs and new filter and oil change thanks to all the information provided here. Appreciate yall!

Recently after the repairs though, I've been having issues with the bike still continually cutting out while riding. So far I've had about 3-4 incidents within the past week of the bike just cutting out mid ride. No sputter sounds or anything just cuts out. Its happened at random speeds as well. Half the time it has started right up after but recently the bike will have power (lights turn on) and will just crank. I will leave it for about 30 min and then it will power up again but will intermittently cut off mid ride again.

Do you all have any idea what could be the cause of this? The only thing I haven't done is going in and cleaning the carbs out. I will work on that this weekend but it seems like all power is just lost randomly. Any help would be appreciated!

Pic added just because

IMG_6215_copy.jpg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: Engine cuts off while riding
Reply #1 - 06/18/24 at 04:53:55

When you installed the new fuel petcock valve, did you clean the gas tank?

Does it do it when the gas tank is full or nearly full?  Does switching over to reserve on the fuel petcock help?  9 out of 10 times, when I get the random dying or near dying mid ride is when I’m running low on fuel and it need to switch over to reserve.

My first hunch is a fuel delivery issue.  If the tank wasn’t cleaned when you installed the raptor, the screens (filters) on the petcock may be getting clogged intermittently.  Also, the tiny screen (filter) in the carburetor before the float valve may be beginning to clog up.  Those would be my first 2 suspects.

Did you install an inline fuel filter on the fuel line?  As observed by others, it’s not a good idea or necessary.  Air can get trapped in the filter and it can’t “burp”, and you get a fuel delivery void to the carb/motor.

IP Logged
radleymfg
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/18/24 at 11:50:58

Appreciate the reply @thumperpaul . When i installed the new pet thingy i didn't clean the tank. I did just got some sea foam today that I plan to run through it this weekend. Is that a good process for the clean or should i go the vinegar soak route?

The issue happens at all levels of fuel. I've seen the reserve help on some start ups but not always. When i changed the fuel line i just used the original line which i believe has the inline fuel filter in it. Just got a new 8mm fuel line and dropped it in today. So far no issues. Ill probably run some seafoam this weekend and see if that omits the issue. I have a feeling it may be fuel starved as well. I been meaning to take the carb out for a cleaning soon so that will be next. Any tips there would be great!

Appreciate you!

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/18/24 at 12:21:46

Where was fuel leaking from? From one of the carb overflow lines? I don't know the stock carb too well but you may have a dirty needle/seat giving strange fuel delivery. I would clean the carb.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #4 - 06/18/24 at 17:52:31

It sounds like it could be electrical to me.  It sounds like it's losing spark due to heat or a bad connection.  Maybe a bad coil or rectifier, or an intermittent issue with a ground or related to a safety switch.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 09:57:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine cuts off while riding

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.