YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Shop Vac
06/09/24 at 10:33:11

Well... my long lived (bought in '88) craftsman 5 gal shop vac finally died.
36 years of abuse and it's finally died, took it apart, cleaned it, lubed it, plugged it in, it ran for a few seconds, sputtered, smoked, drop kicked it into the bin.

So I'm looking for a new one, any suggestions?

WWW   IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Re: Shop Vac
Reply #1 - 06/09/24 at 11:49:17

'Shop-Vac' brand. I needed a 'dry' vac but they all seem to be 'wet-dry'.
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #2 - 06/09/24 at 14:22:41

I had to replace mine a month ago. I hadn't used it for a couple of years and it was just plain dead. I think the bearings seized/rusted.

I bought another one at a garage sale. That's how I bought my newly dead one-- probably over 30 years ago.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 06/09/24 at 16:06:42

The last two Craftsman models I owned eventually got a weird "howling" noise from the top bearing.  They would work OK - but when you turned them off they would screech to a stop!

I currently have a Ridgid that I bought from Home Depot.  I bought it when we were building our house 17 years ago and needed a big one to clean up all the construction messes.  It is still working just fine.

I have no idea what kind of "crap" they are selling today - maybe looking for a good used one on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace will get you a used one with low mileage.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/12/24 at 08:00:21

I don't have any evidence that shop-vac style vacuums work for shorter lifespans today than 20 - 30 years ago.  A sales-data search of used drum vacuums indicates used models have not declined in market availability.  I assume due to the engineering they have rather long lifespans in general.  If planned obsolescence had an impact we would see a market availability reduction over time.  

I have a few stainless steel Dayton brand vacs that work fine however I prefer the wheels on the Shop-Vac brand and would buy those again.  If you can use a compressed air-system on a shop I'd go with Guardair.  No motor so they last forever.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 06/12/24 at 08:53:49

Got 2 craftsmen wet/dry vacs , both outstanding for years. Used the big one for sucking the sand out of my pool filter whenever sand needs to be changed. They both SUCK !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 06/20/24 at 18:46:02

I'm on about year 28 of a big ol' Rigid wet/dry shop vac. Only used it for liquid once or twice the whole time. It's a beast. 4.25 HP, 12 gallon.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
JOG

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longview, Texas
Reply #7 - 06/24/24 at 16:17:05

I had a stick horse as a kid. Named it Buttercup. Recently got a stick vacuum,, so, naturally, named it Buttercup. Now, when I bring it out of the hanger/charging station I just can't help myself,, I pet Buttercup,, and let Buttercup know it's time to
Suck it Up,Buttercup..

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 06/25/24 at 11:48:34

OK

Buttercup

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged