Send Topic Print
M9 cylinder stud nuts (Read 46 times)
Michael Moore

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

In the fog of San Francisco
M9 cylinder stud nuts
06/04/24 at 22:40:38

Before I order some (I want spares on hand for an oddball thread fastener) can someone confirm that these are the M9 nuts/washers/gaskets?

M9x1.25 nut

https://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/suz/5e20716b87a866135c5d0bc8/cyli...

23 NUT 09159-09003 $5.09 quantity 3
24 NUT 09159-09004 $2.95 quantity 1
25 GASKET (10.2X20X2.3) 09168-10031 $2.95 quantity 3
26 GASKET (10.2X20X2.3) 09168-10031 $2.95 quantity 1

In the early 1970s Suzuki often had fastener sizes in the part number, so I'm thinking the "-09" starting the second part of the nut part indicates M9.  But since I will need to order the parts and pay shipping as well as a high price, I'd like to make sure I've got the correct parts.

I found reference to an M9 nut that is used on a variety of Italian scooters,

Vespa Input/Aux Shaft Nut Piaggio M9x1.25 (V6K-4940001)

but that is a plain nut and at least some of the Suzuki parts appear to be acorn nuts.

McMaster has some 12 point M9 flange nuts at $5.32 each

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/nuts/thread-pitch~1-25-mm/thread-size~m9/

but that doesn't seem to be a more economical choice.

There are plenty of bikes that manage to get by with either M8 or M10 threads on the cylinder studs, so I'm at a loss for why Suzuki had to go with an oddball size.  OEM prices seem to range up to $7-8/nut.

Are there any other non-standard fasteners on the engine that I need to be aware of?

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: M9 cylinder stud nuts
Reply #1 - 06/05/24 at 01:20:13

Correct, M9 x 1.25.  Odd size but excellent fasteners.  This old post might be helpful.

https://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1576269113

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #2 - 06/05/24 at 05:11:15

When I needed m9x1.25 nuts to use as jam nuts to get the cylender studs out I ordered them from a Vespa dealer in Daytona Beach. They had to come from Italy, took 2 weeks. If I had to do it again Iwould just get a couple acorn nuts from Ron Aryes and cut the acorn off the worst looking one.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #3 - 06/05/24 at 06:54:21

DBM walked me thru removing the cylinder without removing the motor from the frame.  It involved removing the weirdo M9 rear cylinder studs.  I'm not sure how Mike still has any hair left after walking me thru that one!  Thanks again, Mike!

The old double-nut trick won't work, so... you need a tool.  Borrowing a couple ideas from Mike and adapting, Dave fabricated a "stud puller" for me and him.  It involved tapping a rod with a standard thread M9 at one end and reverse thread M8 at the other end for a jab bolt, with some flats to grab.  It took 3-4 tries and some perserverance to get it to "catch and grab" without separating, but it worked!

Read_Head_Studs_and_Tool_001.jpeg
  IP Logged
Michael Moore

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/05/24 at 08:38:21

badwolf wrote on 06/05/24 at 05:11:15:
When I needed m9x1.25 nuts to use as jam nuts to get the cylender studs out I ordered them from a Vespa dealer in Daytona Beach. They had to come from Italy, took 2 weeks. If I had to do it again Iwould just get a couple acorn nuts from Ron Aryes and cut the acorn off the worst looking one.

Yes, my plan is to try and ID all the weird stuff that has to come from Suzuki and make one order before I get stuck waiting for weeks for something to arrive that I need "right now".  So far the online Suzuki dealers seem to take at least 2 weeks before an ordered part shows up.

Those M9 nuts are only used on the Savage.  If all other Suzukis for the last 50 years can use M8/M10 cylinder nuts, why make them a special part for the 650?

WWW   IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 06/05/24 at 12:08:10

I've lost track and can't rememer all the things I've asked myself "why did they do it this way?"

Just the simple battery box and associated covers, lock, etc. should have been made more complicated and stupid!  That's not mentioning that it should have been positioned where the air box is located and vise-versa.

Let's put the starter relay down in this rabbit hole!

Let's put a 10* bend in the header where it connects to the muffler so nobody can just easily swap it out for a slip-on muffler.

The front foot peg assembly should have been made more convoluted!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 06/06/24 at 03:54:15

Michael Moore wrote on 06/05/24 at 08:38:21:
So far the online Suzuki dealers seem to take at least 2 weeks before an ordered part shows up.

That is because the online retailers don't really have the parts in stock at their location.  When you place an order for parts, they order them from their supplier.....and they ship them to you "after" they receive them.

The only online parts company I know of that actually has an inventory of parts is Rocky Mountain ATV.  When you place an order for multiple parts it is not unusual that you will get a shipment within a couple of days.  If the first shipment does not have everything - you will get another delivery with the rest that comes from their other store.  Sometimes you will get multiple shipments as the parts become available to them.  If they don't have all the parts in stock when you place your order - then they will order the rest and ship them like all the other online retailers do.  The cool thing is that if there is any problem with your order they will give you a telephone call.  Their prices may be a bit higher than some of the others - but their service is excellent!
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts/Suzuki

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Michael Moore

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/06/24 at 08:23:59

I'll add them to the list of online dealers to check.  I usually compare Babbitt/Ron Ayer/Partzilla though with the OEM prices varying it is often a wash on who gets the order.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 06/06/24 at 09:23:41

Michael Moore wrote on 06/06/24 at 08:23:59:
 I usually compare Babbitt/Ron Ayer/Partzilla though with the OEM prices varying it is often a wash on who gets the order.

Rocky Mountain is likely not to be the lowest prices - however you will get your parts the soonest for those parts they do have in stock.

Obscure pieces like the M9 cylinder head nuts are not something they keep in stock...and they show that shipping will occur in 7-10 days.  The parts list on their site shows what they have in stock, what parts will ship later, and what parts are no longer available.

If you need/want something quickly - then check Rocky Mountain to see if they have it in stock.  If they do it will likely arrive in just a few days.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 09:46:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › M9 cylinder stud nuts

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.