Send Topic Print
Helmets (Read 114 times)
Graybeard
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Helmets
05/26/24 at 05:06:49

I really like the HJC modular. The one I have has a few asphalt contact gouges and somehow a bit of what looks like a skidmark about the size of a silver dollar. I think it's structurally sound, But,, I'm getting a new one, white,or International Orange?
Anyway, I smashed one into the cab corner of a pickup. Bent the truck up pretty good, I got a split lip and a throat that didn't want to swallow for a week,, The strap throat punched me. And it still opened and closed, shield didn't crack,the helmet wasn't cracked anywhere. The downside of the HJC is they are so poorly vented. Any helmets, modular design, that let some Air flow around the head,basting in there?

IP Logged
Graybeard
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Helmets
Reply #1 - 05/26/24 at 05:26:57

The one I have is a medium. I tried on the same make and model at the dealership yesterday, and it was the small size. It fits fine. I'm wondering, though, if it would be hotter. It's a good bet it would be quieter.
YaKnow,, the little holes under the Air Inlet Could get some attention and clearing up the path,getting obstructions outta the way, working on the liner,etc,,
The more I think about this the more I'm thinking about just going and asking them to get a white one, size Small,, and just deal with it.

Anyone else ever notice their glasses jiggle with the helmet? The foam rubber is touching the temple pieces and the whole world vibrates?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/26/24 at 09:08:50

HJC or Scorpion are good helmets for a reasonable cost.  You don't want it tight - but a bit snug.  My first street helmet was a bit too large for me, and when at highway speeds it would get pushed back on my head.  My current helmet fits better and at speeds I can feel it pushing on my cheeks - but it doesn't move.

They are all hot and steamy when summer arrives!

I always buy white helmets - it goes well with any of my outfits! Wink

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Graybeard
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/26/24 at 19:35:56

I'm going with what I know. The small HJC. But I'm going to rip into the medium and see if I can figure out a way to get more air through it. And, no,, I'm not going to be too fussy about what it looks like. A miniature supercharger is not out of the question. I Want Airflow!!

IP Logged
Graybeard
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/28/24 at 15:45:34

First,,I was wrong. I have a Solaris. It replaced the HJC, of which I had two. Replaced the first one after a crash and the second one after the mechanism that opens the helmet failed,, just because. No impact. I'm pretty sure that is why I stopped wear HJC.

Second,, the one I have is a medium and I need a small. I'm wanting white. And can't find a seller who has one.
It's model Z1R if anyone knows where one is.
Speed Addicts doesn't and the dealership, very good people, BTW, said sold out For the Season, but call in 2 weeks and see.. Daangitttt!
I'm So glad they didn't have a used Savage in inventory.

IP Logged
Graybeard
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/28/24 at 17:10:00

Kirk,and Amazon, out. I'm just going to get the gray one and when white gets available again, I'll have a spare helmet.
Unless someone can suggest another place to shop.

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #6 - 05/29/24 at 01:03:32

Certain times of year, 'Dennis Kirk' will have incredible deals on helmets. My older full face is an AGV with Snell cert for compettion, cost was $89.00
Pays to stay in touch !
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 05/29/24 at 03:28:42

Revzilla seems to have a good selection of clothing - including helmets.

I don't know specifically "which" modular HJC you want - there are several models.  (And you can get "white" or "pearl white".

https://www.revzilla.com/modular-motorcycle-helmets?view_all=&page=1&limit=96...

IP Logged
Graybeard
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/29/24 at 05:49:09

It's not HJC,,I was wrong.. It's Solaris,Z1R,,
I'll give them a try, thanks.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #9 - 05/29/24 at 05:56:40

This place claims to have may Z1R Solaris helmets in stock:
https://shop.helmetcountry.com/search?type=product&q=z1r+solaris

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Graybeard
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/29/24 at 14:15:53

Thank you,, they do have some. They even have a white one.. Extra small.. Daggummitt..
I bought the small silver one. I'm just done with wrestling that medium. Now I go see if the cheek pads are going to jiggle the glasses. It's a hassle to fix that. Maybe with the firm fit,the helmet won't be jiggling around.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 05/30/24 at 03:18:16

Did you consider how much better of a rider you would be - if you had bought this helmet?

https://www.stilohelmets.com/products/helmets/full_face_helmets/st5_fn_zero_8...

IP Logged
Graybeard
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/30/24 at 16:45:50

Holy cow! Yeah, it's a Zero, for how much gas money I would have. That's just crazy.... Who buys them? Why? I don't see a windshield wiper.
TBH,I don't want one. The modular design checks the boxes for me. The Solaris even has a sun visor,,just slide a button.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #13 - 05/30/24 at 17:55:40

I'm fond of my skid lid 1/2 helmet ...
but
I do have a full face for the winter ridding.

So , I'm noticed that the price of replacement shield for helmets vary a "BUNCH".
It seems to me ... That checking the price of replacement shield before picking out a helmet brand might be a good idea .

I know I'm TIGHT with my $$$$ , but I've found that the less I have to spend on "STUFF" , the more I can enjoy using the "STUFF".   Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 05/31/24 at 02:48:33

The best selection and good prices on visors and helmet parts is from this place.  They are in the UK - but purchase and shipping to the US is no problem.
https://www.thevisorshop.com/en/Visors/c-174.aspx

Last year I was looking to replace my old helmet as the lining was getting funky and the foam headband lining was coming apart.  I could not find any helmet I liked better - so I bought new liners and a light smoke tinted visor and saved a lot of money!

Visor maintenance is a whole topic in it's own.  With proper care they will last many, many years and still be like new.  Never use paper towels as they are scratch, and never wipe your visor when it is dry.  If it has a lot of bugs on it, take it off and soak it in water for a while to soften and loosen them.  If there are just a few use a spray product made for cleaning visors - use a cheap and non-absorbent micro fiber towel from Dollar General or a similar cheap store.....they are pretty much non-absorbent and great for spreading the wet cleaner around.  Then follow up with a nice microfiber towel that will absorb the cleaner.  Always wipe sideways (left/right/left/right) - never swirl or go up and down as scratches in that direction will be more noticeable.  Using this method my 8 year old visor still looks good - other than were a rock hit my shield and left a divot!

« Last Edit: 05/31/24 at 06:49:28 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/17/24 at 09:58:19

General CategoryThe Cafe › Helmets

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.