Send Topic Print
What is to old ? (Read 165 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
What is to old ?
05/22/24 at 10:12:52

Wow , hurtful words. Someone told me it’s time to quit riding. I’m thankful people care but I’ve been riding since I was 7. Only 57 years on two wheels.
It’s so clear to see when walk , I quite literally ride better than I walk. Have calmed down a bit except when I get a free shot at a R/R crossing. Learning to appreciate gentle rides in the country and all the scenery. They all forget that’s who I am and what I do , period ! If you were to remove me from my bikes I would just curl up and die. Maybe they read what I write here and maybe they will see they made a gross monumental mistake in making that statement. Way more hurt than pissed off at how inconsiderate it was , maybe it was meant to be hurtful but for another reason. IDK , IDC !
So what is too old to ride ? Doesn’t surviving 57 years of riding mean anything ?    Angry

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: What is to old ?
Reply #1 - 05/22/24 at 11:19:09

Deb just had some surgery, and as the young fellow was pushing her wheelchair to the car young man and I started talking about motorcycles.  I showed him a photo of me racing in 1974.  I was about to tell him that he wasn't born yet - when it suddenly dawned on me that it was likely that his parents weren't even born yet!  It turned out that his dad was in first grade when the photo was taken....that made me feel a slight bit better!

As long as you are still physically able to operate the motorcycle and have a sharp mind - you are not too old to ride.

There is a local group of riders that meet every Friday for lunch, and sometimes we go on rides.  At 68 years old I am the youngest rider in the bunch.  When I first started riding with them a few years ago there were 3 men that were right at 80 years old (Greg, Bill, Ron).    Greg was a former racer in the Cincinnati area in the 60's and a great rider - he would lead the rides.  Bill was a very good rider and would ride second, I would ride third.....Ron and the others would follow (and often fall behind as well if we got riding too fast).  About 3 years went by and all three riders gave up riding and sold their motorcycles - they just didn't feel safe riding anymore.

So - at 68 I feel like I have the potential to ride another 12 years if I use the other local riders as a database.  I may have to get smaller and lighter bikes - my 650 pound motorcycle is a bit of a challenge for me right now.....I suspect I have another 4 years or riding it if I stay strong enough to hold it up.

Here is a photo of me racing a 1974 TM125 in a 2 hour Hare Scrambles.

IMG_4720.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/22/24 at 11:25:15

Here is a photo of Ron Clark at 80 year old riding his Sportster.

IMG_8706.JPG

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 05/22/24 at 12:31:24

Cool , a young Super Dave in action. Ron rides the same Sportster as me. Sportster is heavy but has a low cog that helps a lot. Ya know all most nothing bothers me but that struck a nerve deep inside ! The kind of comment that is not easily forgotten. In need of review , absolutely not.  
Guess it bothers me greatly that  someone ( besides my doctor ) thinks they know what is best for me. Mental health , you can’t touch it , smell it , taste it , see it , but if you listen you will hear it. I don’t call the tracker
“The Healer” for nothing. Between building and riding it keeps me focused and happy.  Can’t believe I let someone get inside my head. Really want to confront them about it  , but why , I’ll just go riding when I see them. Roll Eyes

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 05/22/24 at 12:37:59

As one of my shirts says: You don't stop riding because you get old.  You get old because you stop riding.
Picture is me.  Somewhere around 1974.   On my 1972 Suzuki Savage (TS250).

ts250_003.jpg

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 05/22/24 at 13:09:34

Thank You. I might understand if I crashed or repeatedly dropped my bike. But no  , just a stabbing commment out of the blue. Maybe the only way they could get at me or maybe no bad intentions at all.
I love that pic , 70’s all the way

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 05/22/24 at 13:59:27

In Youzguyz photo:

His TS250 Savage.
A TS400 Apache
A Honda SL....perhaps a 350.
A Suzuki GT550 Indy?

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #7 - 05/22/24 at 14:36:10

I was doing the same thing Dave, Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 05/22/24 at 18:39:40

Hay Ruttly

I was a 1953 Baby .

In 2017 I got rid of my 2007 Sportster when I found the  200 pound lighter Guzzi V7II

In 2022 I sold my Guzzi and got a RE-350 Meteor.   The Guzzi carried it's weight high and the RE's weight is Low.  They both weigh close to the same amount - about the same as a Stock S-40.

With the right bike I think I'll be ridding as long as I can walk ?   Ridding is a lot easier !   Grin Grin Grin

Doesn't the Tracker ride "Low and Light" ?   Maybe some other folks are a little Jealous !?!  Huh

Hay , as I get older ... I'm liking the back-roads Putt-Putt stuff more and more .    Heck , I might get one of those 150cc Honda Dual-Sport bike in a few years ?   Wink
Maybe , who-ever told you :  "Your getting to OLD to play with them Motor-Cycles"  , needs you to tell them to :  "Get one of those 150cc Dual-Sports"  , before ya get too old to enjoy life !  ?  Roll Eyes
Sometimes ... Reaching out for "HELP" takes many forms ?  Wink

You know we're not too old and will most likely never be , even at 100 years young.  Cool

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 05/22/24 at 19:25:14

I remember those 125cc street bikes from the 1970's and 80's  , Some of them were "nice little bikes" !  

Who couldn't ride a 250 pound bike !  
https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_rd125%2073.htm

or

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_cb125t_84.html

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 05/22/24 at 22:16:40

OG... I don't think I'm old enough for this.

WWW   IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #11 - 05/22/24 at 22:29:50

In 2019, on my way to Barber, stopped for a leak near Huntsville,, an old guy rolled in behind me on a new HD 3-wheeler.
In talking, he's a lawyer from Northern Kentucky, 83 years old, on his way to Barber to meet his son. Decided that 83 sounds like an attainable goal, 3 years to go! Saving for a Triumph Speed 400!
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #12 - 05/23/24 at 00:15:08

I think it was luck that they found my last remaining nerve that could cause an actual reaction. That and the other context in that one way conversation lead me to the conclusion that it was intentional , but excusable. Was like steppin on a nail in tennis shoes , after the nail pops thru the sole and punctures your foot , instant pain. Of course I plan to ride for years for many years. Never had anyone say it. Plan on goin on tour someday , I’ll have to bring the tracker and the 250  , places to go and people to meet. There is several older riders than I here and I respect their opinions , probably a sore subject for many. Already plan on having a e-bike or 2 stashed for when that happens.  Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #13 - 05/23/24 at 00:54:53

I should make it very clear that was not my wife. If there is anything she understands about me is my love for motorcycles. And often times she knows I ain’t been out for a spell , so she tells me “why don’t you go get us this or that” , always a backpackable item , on your bike. Why , one man leaves and comes back with a reboot and a smile , I’m a lucky guy ! I prefer to ride alone most of the time , makes for a greater adventure. But I thrive on an unknown road , see where it takes me. Seems curiousity totally over rides any fears of riding alone. That’s adventure !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 05/23/24 at 07:01:51

Too old is when you can no longer hoist your wheelchair onto the luggage rack  Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/16/24 at 01:29:31

General CategoryThe Cafe › What is to old ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.