Send Topic Print
I have Arriven (Read 165 times)
Graybeard
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

I have Arriven
05/21/24 at 10:46:02

I'm hunting a bike. I'm not wanting to adopt a project. I am ready to Ride. August 2019 the last one was knocked out frummunda me. I Could build one, if I had the forks,but I Want to Ride,not build. Yeah, new name, Old member..

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Re: I have Arriven
Reply #1 - 05/21/24 at 19:47:21

Hi JOG

IP Logged
Graybeard
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/22/24 at 01:42:02

Hiya,,
Looks like they quit making our bikes.
Do better, Suzuki

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 05/22/24 at 04:37:23

Welcome back.

If you want to ride and not tinker.....you need to buy a very late model Savage in excellent condition.  Something that has not been in storage and is fresh!

Or - maybe you need to look for something other than a Savage and buy a more current design.  Modern bikes have fuel injection and ABS and they can be far more reliable than the Savage.

MMRanch likes his Royal Enfields - do you have a RE dealer anywhere near where you live?  Stewmills just bought a used Honda NC700X and really likes it.  The NC700 has footpegs under the rider - the CTX700 has the footpegs forward.  The Honda Rebels are a bit funky looking - but I bet they are reliable.  The Kawasaki Vulcan S would be a good small cruiser with plenty of power to get the job done.  The new Triumph Speed 400 single is a great looking bike!

« Last Edit: 05/23/24 at 03:28:26 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 05/22/24 at 08:27:13

Smell like you been out chicken rustlin gain , huh

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 05/22/24 at 11:04:14

Want you to know in your absence , I tried my best to missspel as many words as possible. But can’t hold a candle to the master of misspel .

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Graybeard
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/22/24 at 19:08:11

Dave,I'm serious about Light weight, low seat height, after that, economy.
I'm not seeing road trips over thirty to maybe fifty miles. I'll go look at the ones you mentioned. The RE options are cool. And less tinkering is A major goal.
Suggestions appreciated

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 05/23/24 at 06:54:12

I went to an RE show day, and found them to be a good bit taller than a Savage
A Yamaha Virago 250 is super low and light, bulletproof,  and surprisingly highway capable
I don't think they still make them though

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #8 - 05/23/24 at 17:05:03

Honda Rebel 300 or 500 if you want a dependable cruiser.  Water cooled, fuel injected, low seat, mid'ish controls, and comes in at 400 lbs wet.  Honda builds the highest quality bikes IMO (followed by Yamaha).

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 05/24/24 at 03:38:28

A friend of mine has just seen the Triumph 400 at a dealer.  He said the build quality is excellent - it is just as nice as his Bonneville.

It has 39.5 HP at 8,000 rpm - more than the Savage and the power therefore is most likely in the upper rpm range.  I expect it will not have as much bottom end torque as the Savage.  (The Royal Enfield Meteor is 20.2 HP at 6,100rpm).

It weighs 375 pounds.  A bit more than the Savage.

The Speed 400 has mid mount footpegs.  I like this better than the cruiser style forward pegs as it puts less weight on my butt - however this is a personal thing and a lot of folks prefer the feet forward style bikes.

« Last Edit: 05/24/24 at 05:38:14 by Dave »  

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 05/24/24 at 08:35:05

Hello there Graybeard

My wife keeps me clean shaving but I think beards are just fine !  Grin

Hay , I was looking at the pair of Triumph 400cc bike too !  They look good and are plenty of HP but the Torque figures are not much more than the RE 350 bikes.  
That being said , the RE 350 Hunter is a really low price machine and doesn't have the Speed-Limiter like the rest of the 350cc line-up.
I've put the DNA air-intake , the 20% increase CAM , and the Free-Flow Exaust on mine and turned the 21HP into about 25-26HP , but it's still a 350cc / 55-65mph / cruiser .   It will do 74mph before the LIMITER or a HILL gets in the way.     But I wouldn't  Hesitate to take it on any long adventure ridding along at 65mph , its geared to red-line(6100rpm) 5th gear about 90-95mph.   Oh , there the thing about MPG , I usually get between 80 to 90 mpg. ridding locally.    I call it my Zen Bike .  Wink

I also have the Big Brother to this one , The 650cc Super Meteor ... its an Eight thousand dollar , 50hp-ish , 500 pound-ish - bike with a seat long enough for 2.5 people my size , its my "WE" bike .  Grin

I'm sure I'd get along with the Triumph 400cc bikes just as well , but they might be a little bit harder on the wallet ?

MikesEnfield2.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 05/24/24 at 11:28:29

Since MMRanch enjoys talking bore x stroke:

The Triumph 400 has a 89.3 bore x 64.5 stroke and 12:1 compression.

The Meteor 350 has a 72 bore x 85.8 stroke and 9.5:1 compression.

It therefore is obvious the Triumph is geared toward performance with 39.5 HP at 8,000 rpm and 27.7 ft/lb torque at 6,100 rpm - while the Meteor is geared toward torque and a smooth pull with 20 HP at 6.100 rpm and 19.9 ft/lbs torque at a low 4,000 rpm.

I have ridden MM's 350 Meteor and the seating position is really comfy.
I have not ridden, or sat on or even seen a Triumph 400 in person - but I suspect the traditional seating layout is a bit less comfy and more like any "standard/retro" layout.

The Triumph will likely feel more spirited - the Royal Enfield will likely feel more relaxed.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 05/24/24 at 13:58:08

Zen ,   is Nice and Easy , I just ordered a Belt Drive system for it.  Yes its Comfortable enough that I don't even care that it don't have excess power.  It has good enough torque for "Off the Super-Slab" ridding.  
Also
There is a 410cc kit for it that replaces the 72mm bore with a 78mm bore.  If a person wanted to have Torque to match the 400 Triumph .   Some times there just ain't no Replacement for Displacement.    Huh    Huh Huh

If I had know I would be having a 650 Meteor then I might have got the 350 Hunter and put dual sport tires on it.

https://www.bikedekho.com/compare/hunter-vs-meteor

$4,000 new bike / 3year guarantee

Hunter_2mp_003.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 05/24/24 at 16:13:11

MM:

The Hunter is a  "Scrambler" type of motorcycle - with limited suspension travel and not much ground clearance, and it is likely not geared very low.  I doubt it would be very good for off road riding.  You really need the Himalaya if you are wanting to get off the pavement.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #14 - 05/24/24 at 20:50:49

Them Dern-Dern-Dern  SPOKE-WHEELS with INTER-TUBES .    Grin

You know I'm not really going Dirt Racing.     More like Shinko 705's and an occasional ride through a field .    That 350-J motor is just busting out all over with torque even at idle speed.   Even with a larger front sprocket it idles in first gear without any jerking (1200 rpm) at a fast walk/shuffle.

I rode a 411cc Himalayan , it was tall but didn't seem any more powerful than my modified 350.   It also vibrated like a 1970's bike.  I do like the looks of the Scram 411 , but there are those inter tubes again ...

That Triumph 400 Scrambler would be the REAL SCRAMBLER !     Maybe when the Super Meteor gets too heavy ?   But the shorter Triumph 400 might fit better by then ?    I'm not sure Marcia would like the back seat of the Triumph  , I'm sure she likes the room of the Super Meteor's seat , I forget she is back there sometimes !

This might help ya get a "Short-List" , I've got that same helmet , but I don't turn mine around backward ...  Wink

ApeHangers_002.jpg

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/16/24 at 16:37:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › I have Arriven

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.