Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sixity Ceramic Brake Pads (Read 172 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Sixity Ceramic Brake Pads
Reply #15 - 05/18/24 at 07:52:45

If this bike is still under warranty - why don't you let the dealer figure it out at their expense?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #16 - 05/18/24 at 09:11:34

Good Idea Dave .   The one pictured is for the 650 Meteor but the other 350 rotor is the problem.   I called the dealer at the first sign of a problem and got the response " Brake Pads " are a "wear-item" and not covered " .  It was clear what the dealer meant was " your on your own with that " .

As far as I can find no one is making an After-Market Rotor.  
But
I had an IDEA !   Shocked Shocked Shocked

So the PROBLEM might be ?  
The disk heats up and can't expand  without warping ?
So
If I opened-up a gap along the outside edge of the rotor for expansion ... it might quit warping when heated ?  
So
I have a new rotor on the bike now.  When the new pads get here ... while I've got the Caliper off ... I'll cut an air gap in those 10 holes closes to the outside edge with a narrow "Cut-off" disk on the 4" angle grinder.
Do ya'll think I should "Taper" or "Round-off" the edge that is to "Follow" the narrow expansion gap so it don't rip off pieces of pad as the gap passes ?   Huh

I don't know what the new pad material is :   They are ebay pads so their are probably the cheapest material know to man ?     The next set can be Ceramic if that is the best ?    Ya'll know I use the front brake by it's self for 99% of "Stopping-Needs"  , and the rear brake for Parking lot maneuvers.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 05/18/24 at 12:58:12

Now that I know it is your 350 Meteor:

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/EBC-Disc/49543

I don't know if cutting slots in the outer edge is a good idea - if you do you need to chamfer the edges so that they won't catch on the pads.

That photo you attached of your 350 rotor - those dished out areas on the holes are just not supposed to be there.  Is that something that the pads did - or did you do that with a grinder?

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #18 - 05/18/24 at 21:07:15

Thanks Dave !   Cool

I just ordered that disk that "HITCHCOCK" sells .   It has a different hole pattern than the first two disk .   I hope it has a different behavior pattern too !  Grin

They had the Improved Ferodo Sintered brake pads too ... I'm not sure what all that means but I'll tell ya if its worth a Hoot , in a week or two !   Wink

This 350 Meteor is my "Go-To" Bike most of the time , It's a joy to ride like the LS650's are , as long as the power demands stay under the 25HP neighborhood.   Smiley    6/9th of a Savage !   Smiley Smiley

I tried to cut that first disk on the lath with a carbide bit ... that didn't work , but the angle grinder did !    They are made out of tuff steel !!!

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #19 - 05/19/24 at 05:08:46

MMRanch wrote on 05/18/24 at 21:07:15:
Thanks Dave !   Cool

They had the Improved Ferodo Sintered brake pads too ... I'm not sure what all that means but I'll tell ya if its worth a Hoot , in a week or two !   Wink

This means they are made in the Shire by Frodo Baggins and his pals.  As such, they are a bit on the pricey side.  Each pad is forged under high pressure at Mt. Doom, a nearby volcano in Mordor.  They are then transported by hobbits with big hairy feet back to the Shire for final assembly.  Grin

The description of brake pad materials is super convoluted.

Organic - these must be made of wood and hemp and then pressed together using free range chicken guts as glue.  Redwood pads are squeaky.  Black Walnut are less squeaky.

Sinistered - these just sound evil on rotors. 😈

Semi-sinistered: not as evil as sinistered, but still evil.

Semi-metallic: I think these are semi-sinistered, but just have a less evil sounding name.

Ceramic - these are made by little old ladies in pot making class.  Sometimes they sprinkle in a little copper for extra goodness.

All I’ve really learned is that you can get serious analysis paralysis reading and studying up on brake pads.  

« Last Edit: 05/19/24 at 08:17:39 by ThumperPaul »  
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #20 - 05/19/24 at 06:44:25

All I’ve really learned is that you can get serious analysis paralysis reading and studying up on brake pads.  

Huh ...  Roll Eyes ...  Cool ...  Yes , Me TOO !  Wink

But

Hay , Those little Hobbit Folks have to eat too !  
so
It's all OK !  

I've also got a set of pads on the way from Ebay , that are most likely to be the cheapest material know to mankind !   Smiley

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 05/19/24 at 07:52:39

MMRanch wrote on 05/18/24 at 21:07:15:
I just ordered that disk that "HITCHCOCK" sells .   It has a different hole pattern than the first two disk .   I hope it has a different behavior pattern too !  Grin

They had the Improved Ferodo Sintered brake pads too ... I'm not sure what all that means but I'll tell ya if its worth a Hoot , in a week or two !

I tried to cut that first disk on the lath with a carbide bit ... that didn't work , but the angle grinder did !    They are made out of tuff steel !!!

The hole pattern likely has very little to do with the behavior - but I suspect the quality of the steel is far more important.  To keep the cost low the Royal Enfield discs were likely not a premium steel.

Cutting brake discs on a shop lathe is not likely going to be successful, and holding an angle grinder up against a disc is not likely to result in an accurate cut. (I have had success in cutting down the outside diameter of a disc - but cutting on the face is much tougher).

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #22 - 05/19/24 at 08:13:59

MMRanch wrote on 05/19/24 at 06:44:25:
[highlight]

I've also got a set of pads on the way from Ebay , that are most likely to be the cheapest material know to mankind !   Smiley

Those are the southern pine resin pads!  Super sticky brakes!  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #23 - 05/19/24 at 18:48:12

Cutting brake discs on a shop lathe is not likely going to be successful, and holding an angle grinder up against a disc is not likely to result in an accurate cut. (I have had success in cutting down the outside diameter of a disc - but cutting on the face is much tougher).  

You can type that again !

I tore up a good Carbide bit trying !   Then ended up getting a new disk anyway ... and now another NEW DISK ... but at least this one is not more of the same !  Wink

The "After Market" may be better than the original .   I believe that "HITCHCOCK'S" is "Top of the Line" stuff.    Smiley    This is where I got the  DNA-intake system , the De-Cat (still looks factory) pipe , and the 20% Power Boost Cam.   If I didn't have the 650 Meteor then I'd be looking into the 350 to 410cc kit that HITCHCOCK'S is selling.  The piston goes from 72mm to 78mm , but it does take a new cylinder to do it ($$$) Tongue Embarrassed Tongue.

With 18,000 + miles on the little Meteor , the front rotor has been the only issue .   Smiley Smiley

ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #24 - 05/20/24 at 05:07:39

Dang, you already have 18k miles on the lil Meteor?  I need to get busy riding.

Maybe you should just sell it and get the Himalayan/Scram with the bigger motor.  I think they bumped it up to 450cc this year.  It probably needs better brakes too, but you get the bigger motor.  Probably less expensive in the end compared to swapping piston and cylinder and everything else on the 350.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #25 - 05/20/24 at 06:56:52

Maybe you should just sell it and get the Himalayan/Scram with the bigger motor.  I think they bumped it up to 450cc this year.  

Na , Paul

The Scram is Spoke Wheels  Tongue Tongue Tongue

I really don't like inter tubes and don't ever want them on a bike again ... they might be "OK" on a car or truck ?  Grin Grin Grin

The Meteor replaced my S-40 , it Sits , Rides , Corners , and Feels like a S-40/Savage with bigger tank and better mpg.   Very few machines can do that.   The Meteor is only 21HP New ... I've got mine up to about 25-26HP and the 72mm to 78mm swap would get it up to about 30hp.  There are a few "Plus-Points" I don't want to give-up from the Meteor , and the new 450 Himalaya is Liquid Cooled  Tongue Tongue Tongue.  
I have the option to put a Belt Drive unit on the 650 Meteor , but It don't feel like the S-40 ... it feels like the HD Sportster with a lower seat . Good-but not a Savage.

It seems , There are very few "Perfect" Motorcycles from the factory's !  Wink

ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #26 - 05/20/24 at 07:16:03

I forgot about your hate for spoke wheels.  Can’t say I blame ya!

You’re moving up nicely on the hp!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 18:09:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sixity Ceramic Brake Pads

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.