Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Help with electrical issue - horn, lights only (Read 205 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Help with electrical issue - horn, lights only
Reply #15 - 05/18/24 at 22:59:10

Use the jumper to see if your bike operates normally with the jumper installed.  With the jumper installed, everything will work except the taillight.  Pop the seat off, unplug your main switch, install the jumper, and immediately start your bike.  Your bike should operate normally.  If your bike runs fine and the lights and horn are ok, then your main switch is most likely bad.  

BTW, you have to make sure your kickstand is up, kill switch is in run, bike is in neutral, and the clutch is pulled in to get it started.  All the normal stuff, don't forget.

This video shows the quick & dirty jumper test.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3JmJEsptL4

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #16 - 05/18/24 at 23:03:10

I forgot to mention that the jumper connects the red/black wire to the orange wire on the switch connector.  Like this.

Jumper_Installed.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #17 - 05/18/24 at 23:11:43

If you determine that your main switch is bad, or if you suspect it is bad, you can inspect it and clean the contacts if they are not too pitted.

This video shows how to do that.  Sorry, I didn't include a continuity check.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cz7VMs54BA

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #18 - 05/18/24 at 23:21:55

If you want to verify that power is getting from your battery, to the starter relay, to the fuses, to the main switch, and out of the main switch to the buss (on LS the orange wire is generally the buss), this video should be helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJl9c2L9cLg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #19 - 05/18/24 at 23:25:11

I can see from your photos that your wiring appears unscathed.  It doesn't look like it has been chopped up, spliced, or modified.  Do I have that correct?

Do you have a factory service manual?  I don't think the Clymer's manual has a wiring diagram for the late model bikes.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Odysseus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 05/19/24 at 07:57:27

No, have a Clymer's though.

Answers to MIKE:

Your engine runs but the horn and lights don't work? CORRECT

Your engine does not run, and the horn and lights don't work? NO - SEE ABOVE

Your engine runs sometimes, and the horn and lights work sometimes, and when you tug on your battery cable it seems to correct the problem sometimes? ENGINE ALWAYS RUN - TUG HELPED HORN/HEADLIGHT ONCE (BUT NOT NOW)

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 05/19/24 at 08:37:41

In general, the law forces the lights on while the motorcycle is running.
So, the lighting circuit is powered by the same circuit as ignition.
If the engine is running, but the lights are off, it is solely due to the lighting circuit.
So, I think you're pulling of the battery cable and it working is a red herring.

The horn gets power from the left control B/R wire which also powers the pass button and the dimmer switch.

I'd start there.

WWW   IP Logged
Odysseus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 05/19/24 at 09:11:08

Took off he ingnition switch and cleaned as per video (was not that bad). Rehooked it and same issues - turn sigs brakes but no horn or headlamp - Then took the entire starter switch assembly off and did the same thing. Nada.
So far, I have..
1) Check all connections.
2) Cleaned and rechecked ingnition assembly
3) Cleaned and rechecked starter assembly
4) Cleaned and rechecked horn assembly
5) Checked grounds

Guys, I'm out of ideas.

IP Logged
Odysseus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 05/19/24 at 10:26:17

But what if that was NOT a red herring? I mean, now I'm thinking of all the things that vibrated off - my license plate once even. Isn't it possible something could have vibrated loose? This attached isn't working either - battery meter?

Are there some leads that typically come losse in ya'll's expereince?

IMG_1287.jpg
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #24 - 05/20/24 at 03:59:16

I'm gonna give this one last try.

Odysseus, we don't seem to be communicating very well.  I don't understand many of your comments.

"2) Cleaned and rechecked ingnition assembly"

Do you mean the ignition switch?  Did you disassemble the switch like I showed in the video?  Were the contacts or wipers corroded or pitted?

"3) Cleaned and rechecked starter assembly"

Did you remove your starter motor or do you mean that you cleaned and rechecked your starter button switch in the right-hand handlebar switch assembly?  Are you saying that you removed the switch housing and removed the switch, disassembled, cleaned the contacts, and reassembled?  Was there corrosion and pitting on the contacts or wiper?

"4) Cleaned and rechecked horn assembly"

Do you mean the left-hand handlebar switch assembly?  Did you disassemble the switch assembly, remove the horn button, and clean the contacts?  Was there corrosion and pitting on the contacts?

"5) Checked grounds"

Exactly how did you check the grounds?  Where did you check?  What did you use to check, visual inspection or did you do a continuity check with a meter?

« Last Edit: 05/20/24 at 05:25:43 by DragBikeMike »  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #25 - 05/20/24 at 04:07:06

You can do some easy checks that should tell you if you are getting power to the handlebar switches, and if your ground to the horn is satisfactory.  Since the lights and horn use the same ground, if the horn ground is good then the light grounds should be good.

To do these checks you should have the negative battery cable disconnected.  That way you won't run your battery dead while you do the checks.  Bogus!  Don't do tests with negative cable disconnected.  DBM 5/20/24

Disconnect your negative battery cable (green arrow) and hook your negative meter lead up to the negative battery terminal (yellow arrow).  Like this.  DBM 5/20/24

However, it would be good to disconnect the starter motor wire like shown in this picture.  You will be pressing the starter button to do the tests.
« Last Edit: 05/20/24 at 19:05:35 by DragBikeMike »  

Multi_Meter_Hookup.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #26 - 05/20/24 at 04:15:18

Power from your main switch (ignition switch) flows through the orange buss wire to the right hand multi connector under the fuel tank.  From the multi-connector the power flows to the starter button switch in the handlebar switch assembly, through the starter button normally closed contacts, and into the yellow/white wire.  The yellow/white wire returns to the right-hand multi-connector.

If you turn on your ignition switch and touch the positive lead from your meter to the yellow/white wire terminal the meter should read battery voltage.

This shows the yellow/white wire in question.

RH_Multi-Connector_YW_out.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #27 - 05/20/24 at 04:20:49

Check for voltage at the yellow/white wire coming out of the right-hand multi-connector.  If your ignition switch is on and there is no voltage at the yellow/white wire, play with the starter button to see if you can determine if the switch contacts are intermittent.

Probe with the meter lead, like this.  When the starter button is pressed, the voltage should drop to zero, and when the starter button is released, the voltage should return to 12V.

12V_at_RH_Multi-Connector_YW.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #28 - 05/20/24 at 04:30:39

If you get 12V at the yellow/white wire coming out of the right-hand multi-connector, the light circuit through the starter button switch is OK.

If you don't get 12V at the yellow/white wire coming out of the right-hand multi-connector, then no power is getting to the light contacts in the starter button switch, or the switch contacts are bad, or there is a bad connection in the multi-connector.

Verify that you have power to the multi-connector by probing the orange wire.  With the ignition switch on, you should have 12V at the orange wire.

This wire.

Orange_Power_wire_RH_Multi_Connector.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #29 - 05/20/24 at 04:37:51

If there is 12V at the orange wire, then there is a bad connection in the multi-connector, or the switch contacts are bad.  Check the connector pins between the orange wire and orange/red wire and the connector pins between the yellow/white wire and the yellow/white wire.

If the connector pins are good and there is still no power at the yellow/white wire, then the switch contacts are bad.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 03:53:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help with electrical issue - horn, lights only

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.