Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Longer rear Shocks (Read 91 times)
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longer rear Shocks
05/04/24 at 19:22:31

I found these on fleabay https://www.ebay.com/itm/264788415125?fits=Submodel%3ALS650%7CMake%3ASuzuki&i... anyone ever try them? 1 inch longer than stock and shouldn't need to mod anything. They also have a 12.25 long shock but I'm afraid it won't work unless few things are modded. These PA roads are beaten me up!

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Longer rear Shocks
Reply #1 - 05/04/24 at 23:00:39

Personally for that price I'd rather go with Hagons. https://hagon-shocks.co.uk/ I've been eyeing a pair myself for a while

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 05/05/24 at 09:08:22

The listing doesn’t note the spring rate, so the only thing you know is that they are longer…but they may not be when you sit on the bike. Honestly, they look like they are worth about $50…they are extremely overpriced for such basic junk.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/05/24 at 11:52:12

I agree, looking at the pictures closely the mounts are poorly welded on and no returns.....I wouldn't touch them!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #4 - 05/05/24 at 17:27:17

Philly - Those Hagons seem cool.  Built to your weight load.  Custom!

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #5 - 05/05/24 at 21:52:21

12.5" shocks work fine, no mods needed, sharpen steering a bit.
Cheers ! Cool

IP Logged
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/06/24 at 07:16:30

Well TY thats good to know. I was avoiding buying 12.5 because of mods. I welcome the quicker steering.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #7 - 05/07/24 at 06:41:16

Here you go.  Try a pair of used HD Sportster shocks for a meager $50 and see what you think.  Advertised as 11-7/8” - call em 12” eye to eye.  For $50, what the heck.  Maybe he’d take $40 and you pay shipping.  He’s in Crosby Texas - they will usually wheel and deal.  Not a huge market demand for used HD Sportster shocks.

https://www.facebook.com/share/o1nbn9F1K6g7pe4i/?mibextid=79PoIi

IP Logged
DaveFromCanada
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Longer rear Shocks for supersize folks
Reply #8 - 05/07/24 at 17:11:22

I weigh 270 lbs, and my wife is 200 lbs. I can't afford a bigger bike, but I read that my Savage has a 400 lb weight limit.

Besides the obvious weight loss we are already working on, do you have any ideas about whether the bike can haul that kind of weight?

Would a pair of used sporster shocks in the previous post make doubling up for us feasible?

Right now I only ride the bike solo

IP Logged
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/07/24 at 18:31:20

Well you can look up the gross weight of the bike and figure it from there. Personally I think the Savage is a 300 lb weight limit bike. I can't imagine loading it up any more. You should move up to a Marauder or a Intruder.

Shocks were sold but thanks. Honestly I don't know how much longer I'll be riding. I'm having trouble seeing above 45mph the wind shaking my head around. I may have to limit my rides to 10 miles or less. Today I went out for 100 mile run and had a terrible time the last 25 getting home. The trip odometer is great though, I hit reserve solid @ 115 miles.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #10 - 05/07/24 at 19:04:24

The GVWR is 785lbs.  The wet weight of the bike is 381lbs.  That leaves 404lbs for other load (like the 400lbs Dave mentioned).

There are too many other factors besides just the rear shocks that would make me hesitant to test the 400lb added load limit.  The longer shocks will provide extra clearance for the rear tire and fender.  You’d also want to check the load capacity of the tires and inflate to higher psi for 2-up riding/load.  The frame can probably handle it.  The front forks may not like it especially during a hard braking stop or bumpy roads.  The engine may be a strained especially uphlll.  The clutch may slip and revolt a bit.

You could probably try it on a nice road for a short distance.  Inflate the tires properly for 2-up.  Honestly, the passenger pillion seat is pretty small and it’s even cramped for a smaller person.  It could be fun and cozy though for a short ride.  Or it could be very annoying (I don’t know your wife.).   Grin

« Last Edit: 05/10/24 at 04:45:14 by ThumperPaul »  
  IP Logged
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/07/24 at 19:27:48

be sure to check the rear tire on the right side for rubbing against the fender-strut bolts!

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/07/24 at 20:54:24

The other day I was down at the murder Mart on the corner of Frankford and amber (for any Philly folk) and saw two rough dudes riding around on a gz250.

I figure the savage can handle a decent amount of pilon weight with the stock set up given that those boys seemed to be just fine

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Longer rear Shocks for supersize folks
Reply #13 - 05/10/24 at 04:40:59

DaveFromCanada wrote on 05/07/24 at 17:11:22:
I weigh 270 lbs, and my wife is 200 lbs. I can't afford a bigger bike, but I read that my Savage has a 400 lb weight limit.

Besides the obvious weight loss we are already working on, do you have any ideas about whether the bike can haul that kind of weight?

Would a pair of used sporster shocks in the previous post make doubling up for us feasible?

Right now I only ride the bike solo

There isn’t enough preload or spring rate available for nearly 500 pounds of passengers. You feel this as a punishing ride since the shock is always in a fully compressed state.

Here is my concern, with the bike so out of balance with a rearward bias, the front tire is unloaded which will cause instability and potentially head shake. Loaded two-up you run the risk of the front end suddenly losing traction.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 08:48:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Longer rear Shocks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!