Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tire rims on the S40 is getting dull and rusty (Read 28 times)
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tire rims on the S40 is getting dull and rusty
05/03/24 at 19:26:37

Hello everyone.

I have a 2015 S40 that I purchased new (makes it almost 10 years old).  I don't have a garage, but it's parked under a large car port type overhang, and it's always covered with a motorcycle cover when not in use.  Over the years the tire rims have gotten very dull and rusty.
From everyone's experience is this normal?  I don't put any protectant (wax,polish, etc) on the chrome spoked wheels, but thought they would hold up better.

The weather where I live is always dry in the summer and only very occasional rain in the winter.  Never any snow.

Open to your thoughts and experiences.

I still like the bike even at my age.  Now closer to 80 than 70.   Smiley

Really enjoy your website.
Thanks for your help.  

Ron G

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Tire rims on the S40 is getting dull and rusty
Reply #1 - 05/03/24 at 20:36:26

Hey Ron,

Have you tried to brush off the surface rust with some oil and abrasive? Oil and Scotch Brite goes a long ways. Maybe check the spokes if they are loose with a spike wrench

I keep my bike outside year round and just brush the surface rust off. Make sure to get new rubber!

« Last Edit: 05/03/24 at 23:16:08 by Surviving Philly »  
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/04/24 at 04:19:01

The spokes on the Savage corrode easily - the chrome rims are a bit more durable.  If you don't clean, polish, wax......the corrosion will occur.

White vinegar and a piece of aluminum foil does a great job of removing light rust.  Just wet the surface with the vinegar and rub the aluminum foil over the surface.  Rinse with water and dry when done.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/04/24 at 05:33:58

I use a soapy brillo pad and it cleans chrome great without scratching it. Just keep it soapy and rinse off then take Zymol car wax (I mix it with water to make a spray out of it) very safe natural product spray the rims let dry then wipe off you'll be good to go for a long time.

IP Logged
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/04/24 at 17:48:04

I'll give your ideas a try on the rims.  The appearance will surely improve compared to what shows now.

I don't log on to the website often, but always enjoy looking and reading about all of the mechanical 'adventures' everyone goes through with the savage.  It's an educational experience for me.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Ron G

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 04:31:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tire rims on the S40 is getting dull and rusty

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.