Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Clutches, clutches, clutches. Where does it end? (Read 519 times)
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Clutches, clutches, clutches. Where does it end?
04/30/24 at 15:37:50

Alright,

So, DBM if you come across this thread, you may remember months ago I did a clutch replacement where the pressure plate face (where it meets the disk) was severely worn away, and the friction disks were fine.

Well, 6 months later, another 160 dollar Barnett clutch pack and guess what? The clutch is totally fried, AND the pressure plate is worn again.

I threw in a 40 dollar caltrec kit from Amazon, the bike acts like a rocket again ( as it should) despite the pressure plate wear. I'm currently saving up for another pressure plate.

So, I'm wondering what is going on here. My inclination is to think that the Barnett kit, for whatever reason, is causing this wear. I know factually I'm completing there replacements correctly. I am in stop and go city traffic all day every day, but I can't imagine with a wet clutch this is causing such an insane degree of wear.

Any ideas? I can post pictures once I get the new hub.... Didnt take any while in there today due to being on the sidewalk when it was hot as all hell here in Port Richmond.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Clutches, clutches, clutches. Where does it en
Reply #1 - 05/01/24 at 01:01:46

Is your motor souped up?

I don't know what to tell you.  I've got tons of miles on my clutch, and it never exhibits any wear.  I've had it slip from time to time.  That has always been associated with a significant power modification.  I remedied those slipping issues with the hybrid 13 plate clutch, or more spring pressure.  Nothing was ever worn; the system just wasn't up to the challenge.

I'm just guessin, but I would be looking hard at your release mechanism.  Do you have free play in the mechanism.  Disconnect your cable.  Place a 12" crescent wrench on your release arm and let the weight of the wrench take up all the free play.  Don't push on the wrench, just let the weight of the wrench rotate the release arm and take up all the free play.  Then take a picture that shows the position of your release arm in relation to the two marks on your engine case.  You want the clutch cover gasket installed for this check.

Take accurate measurements of all of your plates (steel & fiber).  Let us know what the thickness is.  The steels should be about .062", and the fibers should be about .115".

Use a bathroom scale and do a load test on your springs.  Rig up a contraption that will allow you to compress each spring to 26mm, then record the reading on the scale.  With all that city stop & go, you might be fatiguing the springs.

This shows how to check the release arm adjustment.

Pushrod_Just_Right_002.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 05/01/24 at 01:02:39

This might be helpful for checking the springs.

Clutch_Spring_Plots__Constants.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 05/01/24 at 01:06:30

Seems to me the wear is the result of constant slipping/creeping.  Something is preventing the plates from being squeezed sufficiently to lock up the clutch, or something is altering the friction characteristics enough to allow the assembly to slip.  That could be something in your oil.  What oil are you running?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #4 - 05/01/24 at 05:07:41

Great info Mike.  What stumps me is that it’s only eating up the metal pressure plate(s) and not the fiber discs.

SurvivingPhilly - is it only 1 plate, or are all of them getting chewed up?

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/01/24 at 09:11:59

DBM,

souped up as in performance modifications? No, however the aluminum from the pressure plate is ground into a weird sludgy soup that can be found all around the basket.

Part number 23 is what is wearing away so badly. Part 17, the hub has virtually no wear. Nor does the basket itself.

I'm using shell rotella T4.

ls650_clutch_002.jpg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #6 - 05/01/24 at 13:31:59

Ah. The pressure plate.  Which side is it chewed up on?  You have the thrust washer in there between the pressure plate and outer housing, right?

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/01/24 at 16:29:43

Yeah correct washer is there -- it's wearing away where the friction disk comes in contact with it.

DBM you mentioned the springs --- so consider this for a moment. The caltrec Amazon clutch kit I just replaced the Barnett kit with, has HARDER springs than the Barnett kit, which claims it's springs are harder than the stock springs...... What the hell, right?

I'm trying to think back to the first time I replaced the clutch in 2022.... It's possible that I replaced the clutch with the Barnett clutch but used the stock springs, not the Barnett springs. If this is true, could that be causing the pack to not fully separate?? Just an idea.

EDIT: I was able to confirm I was using the Barnett springs along with the Barnett clutch pack.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #8 - 05/01/24 at 16:39:07

Are you saying the soft friction disc is grinding down the metal pressure plate?  That seems really strange.  Pic is worth a 1000 words.

I had this on the inside of the hub, but wrote it off as normal wear.

I did change from a 45.5mm push rod to a 46.5mm to raise the release arm towards the top of the zone.  You may need a different length push rod.

Inside_Hub_running_surface_001.jpeg
  IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/01/24 at 17:16:54

I'll get a picture when I go back in to replace it, currently waiting on the new pressure plate.

Paul just FYI, I think if I'm not mistaken the longer pushrod would actually bring the release arm closer to the lower mark. The release arm has an inverse relationship with the release cam-- when the cam is pressed on by the pushrod (i.e. clutch not pulled in, as in clutch engaged) the release arm actually wants to point DOWN toward the lower mark. Because the longest pushrod has the release cam acted on the most when the clutch is engaged, the arm will point toward the lower mark more-so than if a shorter rod was in use.

« Last Edit: 05/01/24 at 18:32:24 by Surviving Philly »  
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 05/02/24 at 04:12:21

I believe the wear is as shown on the attached photo.  The wearing surface on the pressure plate is aluminum......also the clutch hub wearing surface is aluminum.  These surfaces are soft and wear faster than the steel plates - however for most of us they never wear out.  The only other person I know that wore this out was MMRanch - he had 60,000 miles on the bike when he sold it.

Apparently something is allowing the fiber disc to slip along the aluminum surface to cause the wear.  It is not clear if this is happening while the bike is moving - or while the bike is stopped and the clutch lever is pulled in.  There may also be a reason that only the aluminum wearing surface of the pressure plate is being worn - but the aluminum wearing surface of the clutch hub is not.  I suspect the spring washer in the outer plate is preventing the wear as it does not allow the aluminum surface of the plate to come into contact when the fiber disc until the clutch lever is fully released - this would lead me to believe the wear is occurring when you have the clutch lever pulled in and the bike is at rest while the engine is running and in gear.

Tell us a little bit about your commute and riding style?  Do you wait at a lot of traffic lights or stopped traffic and keep the bike in gear and/or have to slip the clutch a lot to move with slow traffic?

Maybe we can do something weird and machine some material off your aluminum pressure plate, and provide you with enough clearance to put a steel plate in that location.

Clutch.PNG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #11 - 05/02/24 at 05:35:42

Dave - that is a photo of my hub.  I’m still not grasping how the softer fiber disc can be can be chewing up Philly’s pressure plate.  Seems to me the fiber disc would wear down first. Waiting for pics from Philly.

Philly, I’m going to kinda bow out of the conversation and let DBM and Dave drive.  But I’m 99% sure that the longer push rod shifted the resting position of the release arm (clutch disengaged) upwards in the zone.  I made my pushrod change in conjunction with new Barnett clutch springs and a Sneeze clutch cam so there were some other factors in play.

Something else you might want to try is to see how much clutch drag you have (I think Dave is speaking to this).  Get the rear wheel off the ground, start bike, put in 1st gear, wheel spins, then pull the clutch lever and disengage the clutch, tap rear brake to stop momentum, and see how hard the rear wheel is still wanting to spin.  It should spin some mildly (some drag is normal and you should be able to stop the rotation by placing your hand or foot against the rear tire), but it shouldn’t be spinning aggressively like the clutch is engaged.  Clutch drag is hard to notice sometimes when on the road, under load, like sitting at a red light.  You’d probably only notice it if it was really bad - the bike wants to walk with the clutch pulled/disengaged while in gear.

« Last Edit: 05/02/24 at 06:53:13 by ThumperPaul »  
  IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/02/24 at 06:50:39

Thanks for the detailed responses guys,

Alright, so Dave -- yes this is exactly where the most wear is occuring, but this time, unlike last time, the clutch fiber disks are totally glazed and the steel plates are totally black/burnt. The worst of this wear is the fiber disks that mates with that pressure disk. Hopefully the attached pictures will be able to be posted.

Bike is the 2013, milage is presumably around 25,000+ (speedo was removed a long time ago). Bike is used year round, daily. I'm a social worker and do a lot of visits all over the city, usually in stop and go traffic off the highways. My inclination IS to sit at red lights/ stop signs with the clutch pulled in while in gear. For longer lights I'll be in neutral with the clutch out. I do abuse this clutch -- I treat virtually every light like a drag race. But be that as it may -- I think this wear is indicative of something strange going on, just because it's so eaten away. I do let the clutch slip between atop signs, which are never really full stops in Philadelphia. Lots of time in the friction zone.

I'm inclined currently to replace the pressure plate and use this caltric clutch kit from Amazon.

Caltric Clutch Friction Plates Spring Gasket Kit compatible with Suzuki Savage 650 1986 1987 1988 1995-2004 https://a.co/d/133nsol

Just for the sake of cost currently. Can't justify another Barnett clutch purchase until I can stop shredding them.

I think you are on to something with the wear.... The hub is totally fine, I would be the first to admit my abuse of the clutch is absolutely contributing here. Just seems odd how bad it gets how quickly.

Paul about the pushrod -- just because I think the thing with these rods is not very well understood, I spent a lot of time grappling with this because the last time I had this issue, I threw the shorter rod in and it solved the slipping issue despite the pressure plate wear, but then I had an issue where the spring bolts were actually hitting the inside of the release arm every time the clutch was engaged, so much so that the bolt heads were warped by interference with the arm. The difference in rod length is very minimal, but the way these clutches are set up they seem extremely sensitive to clearance issues. It sounds and looks counter intuitive that the longer rod would contribute to slippage but the way it sits in there while the clutch is engaged it effects the spring pressure and pushes the clutch ever so slightly more open than the middle or shorter rods.

I've contacted Suzuki directly, in NA and tried to talk to someone in Japan and they weren't able to give me any info on the rods, why the different lengths are even offered, etc.

But the one thing I do know is that the different rod lengths absolutely influence the compression of the plates while the clutch is engaged (not pulled in), and the longer one has them sitting apart further than the shorter.

PXL_20240502_132859558.jpg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #13 - 05/02/24 at 07:04:59

I’m curiously naive…. How are you able to observe the the discs/plates separation/spread testing different push rod lengths?  I’d have to have everything put back together and closed up to test anything.  Sorry, I don’t mean to digress from your real dilemma.

I’d have to agree that your riding style should be leading to this type of wear this quickly.  Something is amiss.

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 05/02/24 at 07:23:58

The last time I had this issue, here's roughly what happened.

1. New Barnett clutch was installed fall of 2022. Clutch replacement was successful and all was right with the world.

2. Clutch started to slip after about 6 months of use.

3. New Barnett clutch pack purchased and installed. Clutch slippage stopped, everything is fine.

4. Clutch starts to slip after two months.... Opened her back up, inspected the clutch, disks looked fine and steels weren't burnt... What is going on here? Maybe these pushrods have something to do with this... Searched the forums, found many posts stating that the longer rod can put you back in spec. Interesting. Spoke to my local mechanic, he didn't know what to think about the rods. Contacted Suzuki NA, spoke to someone who spoke to an engineer who said they didn't know either but use "whatever rod was in there to begin with (middle). Contacted Suzuki Japan and spoke to.... Some Japanese guy. Didn't know what I was talking about.

5. While reading anything and everything I could about clutch wear, decided to open it up throw the longer rod in see if it helps. It didn't. Think was slipping even worse than before, couldn't even leave the front stoop.

6. Decided to put the shorter rod in. Clutch worked fine again. Wow, what the hell?

7. After about a week, I had intense buzzing from the clutch cover. But only with the clutch engaged. When I pulled in the lever and disengaged the clutch, buzzing stopped..... Weird. Sounds bad. What is going on?

8. Opened it back up again, and noticed the spring bolts all had worn heads... the shorter rod was causing the entire pack to move forward in the basket when the clutch is fully engaged because the shorter rod compresses the clutch more than the middle or longer rod.....that's when I realized the rod length effects the compression of the springs when the clutch is fully engaged, and therefore the longer rod actually has the pack less compressed than the shorter ones, and because of this it has to be pushing the arm outside the case DOWN, with the longer one pushing it the furthest down of the three.

Anyway this time fully pulling the basket and checking every component for wear. Washers were replaced, oring replaced, nut replaced... Virtually zero notches on the basket, ok cool. The hub looked fine... Then I noticed the pressure plate. Sent a picture to the forums in an earlier post from that time showing how badly worn it was.

Replaced the plate but kept the disks, as they were still fine. Clutch was good again. This was like last November. Went back to the middle rod. No more slippage.

That bring us here. A few short months later and the entire clutch is fried AND the new pressure plate is deeply gouged again.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 22:29:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutches, clutches, clutches. Where does it end?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.