Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Front Caliper seized on my 97 (Read 48 times)
Thumperguy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Front Caliper seized on my 97
04/27/24 at 06:19:16

Greetings Savage lovers, I'm in need of some advice on a good rebuild kit or replacement for my front break caliper.
Has anyone used the All Balls rebuild kit before?

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Front Caliper seized on my 97
Reply #1 - 04/27/24 at 19:56:29

Get the big brake kit, it makes a tremendous difference.

IP Logged
Thumperguy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/28/24 at 04:38:46

any more details on this "big brake kit"?
I am seeing prices any where from 250 to 500 $ for full Caliper assembly.
Rebuild kits around $50.
The simplest and cheapest method to get back up and running would be ideal Wink
Thanks

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #3 - 04/28/24 at 16:31:26

Are you just needing the piston and seal?  Or is the caliper itself damaged?

All Balls is probably a good choice for a rebuild kit.  I’ve bought a few things from them and the quality was pretty good.  I haven’t seen their brake rebuild kit for the Savage.

This place in the UK has a kit and the description talks about quality stainless steel piston.  Just about any piston is better than a stuck, pitted, rusted out piston.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155425207629?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001...

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #4 - 04/29/24 at 06:15:11

I went to Partszilla and looked up the piston and seal set for a 2006.  Piston is like $41 and seal set is like $11.  This may be the least hassle and sure fit.  

I was able to salvage a dying piston on bike that sat up with some patience and elbow grease.  You might be able to try that first unless the piston is completely shot.  

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuki/motorcycle/2006/boulevard-s40-ls650/...

IP Logged
Thumperguy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/29/24 at 14:48:24

I just need the piston and seals. A rebuild kit should work. Thanks for the links and assistance ThumperPaul. Greatly appreciated.

ThumperPaul wrote on 04/28/24 at 16:31:26:
Are you just needing the piston and seal?  Or is the caliper itself damaged?

All Balls is probably a good choice for a rebuild kit.  I’ve bought a few things from them and the quality was pretty good.  I haven’t seen their brake rebuild kit for the Savage.

This place in the UK has a kit and the description talks about quality stainless steel piston.  Just about any piston is better than a stuck, pitted, rusted out piston.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155425207629?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001...

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #6 - 04/29/24 at 15:34:02

Have you tried removing the caliper and cleaning up the piston?  Remove the pads to get access to the piston.  Spray the piston and caliper with brake parts cleaner (don’t get it on the pads).  Wipe it down and clean up as best as possible. Take a nylon brush or old toothbrush and clean brake fluid and on the piston.  Try to get some brake fluid down the sides of the piston and work its way into the seals.  You can use the brake lever to make the piston move out further (just don’t go to far or the piston will pop out).  You can use a c-clamp and squeeze the piston back in.  Do this manual process a few times cleaning with the toothbrush and brake fluid as you go.  If there is a lot of rust and pitting on the piston, it may be time for a new one.  Sometimes you can get a lot of the rust off with vinegar and aluminum foil.  I’ve been known to work the brake fluid, vinegar, and aluminum foil on the piston and save it.  It’s tedious and grimy, but it can get you back on the road within an hour or so with working brakes.  

I’m not saying this is the best way or most professional way, but it can get the brakes working again.  It’s a quick and dirty method I’ve used on many dirt bikes.  I’ve done it on a couple street bikes too.

Good luck.

IP Logged
Thumperguy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/30/24 at 13:58:05

Thanks again Paul! I will dig into this on the weekend.  Smiley

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/01/24 at 19:18:35

This is the kit, I bought it back about 2 years ago, its a day and night difference compared to stock brakes.

https://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1475013866/45

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/09/24 at 22:50:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front Caliper seized on my 97

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.