Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Replacing foam filter with K&N or similar (Read 98 times)
DaveFromCanada
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Replacing foam filter with K&N or similar
04/21/24 at 13:09:49

2000 Savage, stock except the air breather box has been removed; instead, there is a grey foam filter.

The filter is, I think, too large and is partially jammed against the frame.

Can anyone suggest a K&N or similar that would work in its place?

I can see filters that look like the right size on Amazon, but don't know enough about it, to know if they vary at all.

Will I have to retune? Or would this be similar enough to the foam filter?

air_filter.jpg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: Replacing foam filter with K&N or similar
Reply #1 - 04/21/24 at 13:48:55

I'm interested to see responses to this.

The outside diameter of the air intake venturi size is about 57mm (call it 2.25").  The inside diameter of the stock intake boot is about 56mm (cram it on tight over the 57mm).

You may have to use a tube to locate the new air filter (whatever you decide) to behind the battery box (where the stock air box used to be).  Here's a link to a 2.25" ID tube that's 8" long that you could cut to the needed length.  This should open up the possibilities/options for your air filter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392866039596?itmmeta=01HW16BSPM8DNJSHZRZX73T3Z0&hash...

I don't think you'll have to retune unless you do something drastically different.  Might have to play with the air/fuel mix screw and idle screw a bit to smooth the idle.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 04/21/24 at 17:44:39

That filter looks to be a Uni filter.  I have one identical to that on my engine and it looks to be a bit squished but mine proves it functions just fine,  which has significant engine mods.  The Uni filters are excellent at flowing air and filtering the incoming air.
Don't just assume that it’s hampering air flow unless you have identifiable symptoms indicating such.  

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #3 - 04/22/24 at 19:16:06

Perfectly fits above the battery box

FB_IMG_1648354031809.jpg
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #4 - 04/22/24 at 23:53:54

+1 for RC1250 !
Just for fun, this year I'm trying the snorkel between the carb and the KN. Larger air capacity. Will report later!
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 04/23/24 at 14:07:14

The K&N RC-1250 is a good fit at the flange.  Good to know it clears the battery box.  I’m just not sold on pricey K&N products.  They claim 75,000 miles or 5 years between cleanings (really??)….based of 15,000/year on highway driving.

I’m not sure if it’s still the case, but K&N filters were/are made by Hiflofiltro.  I do use Hiflo products.  Seem the same as K&N for half the price.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #6 - 04/23/24 at 14:13:45

zipidachimp wrote on 04/22/24 at 23:53:54:
+1 for RC1250 !
Just for fun, this year I'm trying the snorkel between the carb and the KN. Larger air capacity. Will report later!
Cheers!  Cool

You may have to get creative using the stock snorkel tube.  It’s wider at the end that attaches to the stock air box.  Its ID is 2.5” compared to the carb flange area which is 2.25”.  Maybe you can shove the filter into the opening of the snorkel and put the clamp on the outside of the snorkel.  If you set it up, share a pic!  I like the idea to get the full surface area of the filter in some wider open space to breath.

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #7 - 04/23/24 at 14:57:36

I'll take a pic tomorrow. The wide end slipped over the carb, narrow end over the KN, both ends secured with zip ties, as clamps are too wide. Bike gets insured at end of month, for 6 month policy.
Looks weird, hope it works!
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #8 - 04/23/24 at 18:57:38

Cool.  Yeah, finding the narrower band clamps is tough.  You have to pay up and special order.  But ya gotta do it.  You can do better than zip ties.  Cheers.

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #9 - 04/24/24 at 20:55:21

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #10 - 04/25/24 at 04:59:20

I like the concept.  Thanks for sharing the photos.

Is the seat going to fit without it pushing down on the filter and possibly pushing it out of alignment and loose from the boot and carb?  

The band clamps for the air box boot (snorkel as you call it) are 70mm and 64mm.  Both are 8mm wide.  Parts 8 and 9 on the diagram link below (roughly $6 each).  Is the flange on the K&N filter making a good tight fit in the boot?  If not, the band clamp may not hold it in place since it’s designed for a specific size and it doesn’t let you crank it any tighter than designed.  If not, you’d need a narrow worm gear clamp that gives you more adjustability/clamping.  I think I searched the entire internet, hardware stores, and auto parts stores for the narrower 8mm worm gear clamps.  I didn’t have any luck, so happy shopping and good luck.  Holler if you find ‘em!  I want some to have handy.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuki/motorcycle/2006/boulevard-s40-ls650/...

« Last Edit: 04/25/24 at 11:25:31 by ThumperPaul »  
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #11 - 04/25/24 at 10:59:03

Hey Zipi, that's a pretty cool lookin installation.  You will certainly get enough air.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #12 - 04/25/24 at 23:15:20

Thump: The dip in the frame is now gone, and I'm using a flat seat, ie; a standard.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/151017922@N02/53678582507/in/dateposted/
Thanks for the parts source!

If this intake works, I may glue the filter to the snorkel. Natural fit without clamps is iffy.
Cheers!  Cool
ps: turned 80 in Feb., everything I do now is for fun and/or experimenting/goofing around!  Cool Cool

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #13 - 04/26/24 at 05:21:02

Sweet ride, Zip!!  Nice!!  And happy belated Big 8-0!  Heck yeah!  Tinker away, but don’t lose the awesome character of that bike!!  Does he/she have a name?!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 10:38:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Replacing foam filter with K&N or similar

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.