Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Not sure if I need to replace my carb or not. (Read 45 times)
Anilord000
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Not sure if I need to replace my carb or not.
04/21/24 at 00:22:08

Hello there new rider first bike, hopefully someone can put me on the right track.

Background paragraph
I have an 06 s40(30k mi), I got it in Dec. It was working fine had some minor issues that was fixed(replaced fork seals, new seat and redo the wiring I also had to do an oil change and put in a raptor 660 petcock since the oem failed.

Issues paragraph
About a month ago while riding it started to lose power on the throttle and would just end up turning off mid ride. Best way I could explain it is that it felt like it was starving of fuel. Took it to a mech and (if i remember correctly) he cleaned the carb and noted my fuel lines were good but the flow was alil lower than he would have wanted but shouldn't ve a problem. He was right and I couldn't maintain 70 or above on the freeway and had to ride at 65. Ok thats fine but about a week ish ago the initial starvation problem came back. Anybody had a similar issues they could recommend?

Any help would be great thanks.

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Re: Not sure if I need to replace my carb or not.
Reply #1 - 04/21/24 at 02:54:08

with the raptor installed, did you cap the vacuum port on the carb? One fuel line, not 'lines'. Float level, damaged floats?  This carb is pretty simple and tends to work well, and can easily be rejetted to work better. Mine is 16 years old and works well!
Also, if the fuel line is clear vinyl (?), disconnect from the carb and check the flow into a container. Some crud from the tank may be blocking.
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 04/21/24 at 05:58:56

Did you install a fuel filter in the fuel line between the petcock and carb?

These can be a problem as air bubbles can get trapped in the small holes in the nipple and they can limit or prevent the amount of fuel flow.

If you have installed an inline filter - remove it and see if the problem goes away.

Also check to see if the vent in the fuel cap is working.  Next time you have a problem remove the fuel cap and allow air to the tank - and see if the problem goes away.

IF the carb has never been cleaned or serviced in the 16 years that have passed since it was new.......a good cleaning/servicing by a competent mechanic who is familiar with the Savage would be a good thing.  Replacing the stock jets with a #50 pilot and a #150 main and modifying the white spacer on the needle can really improve how the bike runs.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #3 - 04/21/24 at 06:29:41

Dave makes some great points and suggestions.  I would just add that the fuel line should be 5/16” ID and not 1/4” ID.  It may seem like a small difference, but it’s significant.  An 8mm ID fuel line would be in keeping with the metric standard, but it’s hard to find.

If an inline fuel filter is not installed and/or not the cause, I would next suspect a low float level or the float valve is worn and closing prematurely (there’s also a tiny screen in the carb before the float valve that could be partially clogged).

IP Logged
Anilord000
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/21/24 at 19:28:45

zipidachimp wrote on 04/21/24 at 02:54:08:
with the raptor installed, did you cap the vacuum port on the carb? One fuel line, not 'lines'. Float level, damaged floats?  This carb is pretty simple and tends to work well, and can easily be rejetted to work better. Mine is 16 years old and works well!
Also, if the fuel line is clear vinyl (?), disconnect from the carb and check the flow into a container. Some crud from the tank may be blocking.
Cheers!  8-)

I did cap the extra line from tbe car. But im not familiar with the float?

IP Logged
Anilord000
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/21/24 at 19:30:38

Dave wrote on 04/21/24 at 05:58:56:
Did you install a fuel filter in the fuel line between the petcock and carb?

These can be a problem as air bubbles can get trapped in the small holes in the nipple and they can limit or prevent the amount of fuel flow.

If you have installed an inline filter - remove it and see if the problem goes away.

Also check to see if the vent in the fuel cap is working.  Next time you have a problem remove the fuel cap and allow air to the tank - and see if the problem goes away.

IF the carb has never been cleaned or serviced in the 16 years that have passed since it was new.......a good cleaning/servicing by a competent mechanic who is familiar with the Savage would be a good thing.  Replacing the stock jets with a #50 pilot and a #150 main and modifying the white spacer on the needle can really improve how the bike runs.

Ok ill have to try the venting part, thank you. I did install the filter and it seemed to be rinning properly.

IP Logged
Anilord000
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/21/24 at 19:32:41

ThumperPaul wrote on 04/21/24 at 06:29:41:
Dave makes some great points and suggestions.  I would just add that the fuel line should be 5/16” ID and not 1/4” ID.  It may seem like a small difference, but it’s significant.  An 8mm ID fuel line would be in keeping with the metric standard, but it’s hard to find.

If an inline fuel filter is not installed and/or not the cause, I would next suspect a low float level or the float valve is worn and closing prematurely (there’s also a tiny screen in the carb before the float valve that could be partially clogged).

Ill have to check the fuel filter cause im honestly not sure what ID it is. I was thinming about just getting another oem petcock again as well.

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #7 - 04/21/24 at 23:11:42

Whoa nelly, STOP !  The oem petcock is a problem, which is why we have all gone to the Yamaha Raptor !
If you've made some of the changes suggested. go for a ride to gauge the effect, then do the others !
Concentrate on fuel flow first, then jetting.
Cheers!  Cool
ps:  Your Raptor is a grenuine Yamaha part, yes?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 04/22/24 at 06:04:53

Anilord000 wrote on 04/21/24 at 19:30:38:
Ok ill have to try the venting part, thank you. I did install the filter and it seemed to be running properly.

Ditch the filter and see how it runs.  It is not uncommon for the engine to run properly when the filter is first installed - then to start causing problems when an air bubble gets stuck in the filter.

« Last Edit: 04/22/24 at 07:25:12 by verslagen1 »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/09/24 at 11:54:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Not sure if I need to replace my carb or not.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.