Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Terrible primary gear whine (Read 150 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Terrible primary gear whine
Reply #30 - 04/20/24 at 20:28:28

As previously mentioned, the primary gear nut is left-hand threads.  That would be lefty-tighty, righty-loosey.  Use a piece of soft rolled copper tubing in the gear mesh.  That will lock the gears without damaging them.  Key words & phrases, "soft-rolled".  That's the kind of copper tubing that comes in a roll.  Usually comes in 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4".  It's soft and you can bend it by hand.  Commonly used for ice maker installations.

Jam_Tool_Soft_Rolled_Copper_Tubing_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #31 - 04/20/24 at 20:46:33

You can't expect us to continue helping you out if you are unwilling to take the initiative and provide some photos.  

These things shouldn't be hard to shift.  If it's hard to shift I wouldn't be looking at the oil other than to verify that it is in fact oil of reasonable viscosity and it is the proper level.  Oil isn't gonna make it so hard to shift (unless it's filled with 80W).  Either your clutch is dragging, your shift mechanism is damaged, or you have some sort of serious rub.  You have an unexplained tire rub that could be the result of a bent swingarm or frame.  Some sort of howling noise that could be pulley rub.  Quit screwin around and take five minutes to remove the pulley cover.  See is that rectifies the noise.  While the cover is off inspect your shift mechanism to see if there's evidence of crash damage.  Check your swingarm to see if it's bent.  If it's bent, the eye-to-eye distance on your shock absorbers will probably be different (one side shorter than the other).

You say there are marks on the primary drive gears.  So, is it like every tooth has a mark?  Is it like superficial or has someone grabbed the gear with a pipe wrench.  A few random teeth with a mark/chip probably aren't gonna whine, they should click as each defect goes through the mesh.  You would need all the teeth chewed up to cause it to whine.

A picture is worth 1000 words.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 04/20/24 at 21:41:25

Hey don't help just cause I don't trake pictures! I'm not taking out a expensice camarea when I covered in grease just to satisfy your curiosity. Effin gears are all marked up all the way around, what yyou think they would look like if they ATE A SPRING for christ sakes. I;m an engneer not some dumb azz. Forget about I think I have it sold. I had enough of trying to shift the EFFIN PIECE of crap!  SAYONARA!

IP Logged
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 04/20/24 at 21:48:43

And this thread doesn't exist! https://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1177807382#google_vignette

Funny mine does the EXACT SAME THING! I think i'm done with this mess! I pity the next owner.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/09/24 at 09:06:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Terrible primary gear whine

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.