Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Screamin' Eagle Dyna Exhaust (Read 59 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Screamin' Eagle Dyna Exhaust
03/14/24 at 14:38:13

Stock Dyna exhaust is a good exhaust on the Savage.  Is anyone familiar with the Screamin' Eagle version?

The are straight, open, and taper to the rear.  The warning label says "closed course competition only" (eh hem)

You think they are loud?  I bought 'em on a whim.  They polished up real nice almost like new.  Not sure what I'm doing with 'em.

ScreaminEagle8.jpeg
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Screamin' Eagle Dyna Exhaust
Reply #1 - 03/14/24 at 15:01:48

The name of these mufflers is Screaming Eagles, with the emphasis on SCREAMING.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #2 - 03/14/24 at 15:32:51

LANCER wrote on 03/14/24 at 15:01:48:
The name of these mufflers is Screaming Eagles, with the emphasis on SCREAMING.

RIGHT!!  LOL.  I am curious what one would sound like on the Savage besides really loud!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 03/14/24 at 17:32:21

If you thought it was hard to get your carb tuned before - you are not going to like how difficult it becomes with an open pipe!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #4 - 03/14/24 at 18:51:32

Hey.  Woody has an open exhaust.  I'm doing ok with the tune with the VM36 slide carb!  It's other people that can't decide if it needs a 165 or 200 main jet (Lol)  And I did fine with the PWK40 flat slide carb on the last S40 I had with an open Jardine exhaust (then a stock dyna)... Ok, ok, DBM definitely walked me through that one!!  That said, I ended up sticking with the larger pilot jet that Mike said was too big.

Now, the Honda Shadow with dual carbs is fun to dial in and sync with the rear baffles removed on the stock pipes.  It's almost where I want it to be.  It's still just a little lean down low when getting on the needle.  I need to add 1 more shim/washer on each of the needles and I think I've got it.  HA - so there!  LOL!

I might be a complete dork on internals, but I will eventually get a tune right!  LOL.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 03/15/24 at 03:56:25

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #6 - 03/15/24 at 06:06:53

Good video.  Drag pipe sag.  Love all the dyno runs to prove the point.  But I am perplexed by his attempts of always going leaner??  He also starts by saying everything works together (true), but then he gives up pretty quickly on adjusting the carb to the exhaust, and he was going the wrong direction in my opinion.  Virtually every carb tuner will say to increase fuel when going to a more open exhaust especially if the air intake set-up has been opened up to get better breathing.  Then he kinda contradicts himself and says trash the pipes and/or modify the pipes (that’s not making everything work together - that just going back towards the unmolested set-up).  

Throw drag pipes in trash.  Then Paul comes along and sees shiny things in trash and goes dumpster diving!  

I can get my Honda dialed in.  It still has the front baffles/resonators.  It’s louder/fuller sounding than stock but not obnoxious.

I did buy the screamin’ eagles thinking one might work to quiet down Woody.  Woody is pretty obnoxious.  When I looked inside the screamin’ eagles and they were wide open, I knew they weren’t what I wanted.  I bought ‘em anyway.  Cheap, nice guy, what the heck.  I couldn’t just leave those shiny pipes there after driving to Springman’s side of town.  lol.

I also snagged these long open pipes.  Not sure what HD they can off of.

Hey, I paid $25 for all 4 pipes.  Why not, what the heck!  I’ve spent $25 on worse things.

Long_Pipes6.jpeg
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 03/16/24 at 10:28:35

I love that S&S video.  They do a great job of explaining why open pipes are lousy on a street application.  Wish he would have tried to dial in those drag pipes at max RPM.  I don't think they would make less power up top if they were tweaked in for the high RPM range, where they are intended to work.

That reversion problem really gets outa hand when you run a cam with a lot of TDC lift and overlap.  The wave runs back straight through the open exhaust valve, across the top of the piston, and out the open intake.  Since a carb doesn't much care which way the air is moving, it feeds fuel each direction.  That compounds the overly rich condition.

One thing he shows on the vid that really is an eye opener is just how much an overly restrictive exhaust decreases power.  If I am seeing correctly, he put those baffles in the drag pipes and max power dropped from somewhere around 80 HP down to like 35 HP.  Jeeeeez!  

Paul, you mentioned your new Screamin Eagle mufflers are straight through.  How large is the inside diameter of the straight-thru baffle?  I bet if it's appreciably smaller than 1.3" (stock header ID), it will break up the resonant wave and run just fine.  Of course it will be obnoxiously loud.  Can you post a pic of the inside?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #8 - 03/16/24 at 12:14:05

Hi Mike.  I actually sold them yesterday and mailed them today.  I must have priced them too low.  I didn't take a good photo looking down the pipe.  Sorry.  

At the narrowest point in the middle, they were maybe 3/4 - 1" diameter.

I'm trying to go quieter than what I have right now and I knew these wouldnt get me there.

ScreaminEagle3.jpeg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 00:06:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Screamin' Eagle Dyna Exhaust

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.