Stator side gasket (Read 62 times)
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Stator side gasket
02/21/24 at 20:45:47

Yo savages,

In a bit of a pickle.

Recently removed the stator side cover, found that the old gasket was totally stuck to the crank case -- I'm taking would only come off in very small pieces. I scraped away at it with a razor blade carefully, however did not get everything before replacing the gasket and putting the cover back on - I've got a slow but steady oil leak going, I guess my "good enough" approach here wasn't good enough at all.

Any suggestions? The careful scraping with the razor blade wasn't really working -- given the angle at which I was working outside, and fear over getting small pieces of gasket material in the motor.

Sos!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: Stator side gasket
Reply #1 - 02/22/24 at 08:28:07

We're in the same boat.  I'm wondering if some of the razor blade scraping I had to do as well isn't part of my leak problem too.

I did get mine to stop leaking around the grommet that the stator wires run through.  Only for it to spring a leak up front/top.  Spewing oil out like a stuck pig through the tiny gap.

1) I'm swapping out the cheapo ebay gasket that I installed with a quality OEM gasket.
2) I am going to clean off the oil around the mating surfaces real good and I'm using some RTV this time.  I want the darn leak to go away and I'll deal with removing RTV later if/when that day comes.
3) Make darn sure the gasket is situated perfectly between the mating surfaces.

It shouldn't be this hard!  It's a little more meticulous than I imagined.

PS - And I'm worried I may have damaged the threads for one of the bolts.  I think I heard that nasty sound even though I was only at 13n.m. torque (ok, maybe I hit 14nm...).

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/22/24 at 14:43:12

Does the OEM gasket get some gasket sealant around the grommet for the wires?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 02/22/24 at 15:23:26

Surviving Philly wrote on 02/22/24 at 14:43:12:
Does the OEM gasket get some gasket sealant around the grommet for the wires?

I clean up the rubber and metal and apply a very tiny bit of sealant in the groove on the back side of the grommet.....and maybe just a bit on the face.  Don't "glom" a thick coating of it.

If the wires don't feel snug in the grommet, then clean and apply a little bit of sealant on them as well.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/22/24 at 16:09:09

Thanks Dave, I'm going to assume this is where I'm leaking from, since I didn't do this upon reassembly.

IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #5 - 02/23/24 at 00:32:19

I do a lot of metalworking and I often use this on the lathe:

These are HHS chisels that you have to sharpen into the correct shape yourself if you use them on the lathe.

They are excellent for removing the last gasket residue and any burrs from the gasket surfaces.
Smiley
The rods are ground perfectly flat and the edges are razor sharp but do not cut your fingers because the angle is 90 degrees.

But if you keep them flat, you will scrape away anything that shouldn't be there.

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #6 - 02/23/24 at 07:39:19

DragBikeMike shared this photo of a clean grommet from a cheap aftermarket stator.  The inside where the wires are would let a river flow through.  I imagine this is what mine looked like before the prior owner and I filled it up with RTV.  The outside mating surface on mine wasn’t a great fit either.  Now I have to re-open mine and get this patched up again.  Dave said not to glob it up, but I’ll probably be globing up.  I’m embarrassed to post a pic of the glob job I did.  But it did plug that portion of my leak problem.  I’d follow Dave’s recommendation if I was starting from scratch.

I can’t post the photo DBM shared.  Go to my thread and take a look.

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 02/23/24 at 16:20:07

Dave,

You mentioned the wires in the grommet -- how did you apply the sealant here? Just clean w/ brake cleaner and stuff it in between the wires?

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #8 - 02/23/24 at 16:38:38

I’ll let Dave answer, but you have the right idea.  Getting some sealant on the inside would seem to help (attack it from both sides).  Just make sure it’s real clean and if you do it on the inside, you’ll want to let it  fully cure before installing the cover and exposing it to oil.  I also read that polyurethane adhesive sealant may stick better to the grommet and teflon-like wire sheathing.  But listen to Dave!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 02/24/24 at 03:35:08

The grommet is not visible with the pulley cover on - so it really doesn't matter which side you apply the sealant.

Pull the cover off and get the wire grommet out of the case.  Clean the grommet and case with a good solvent.  Clean the wires and grommet, then see if you can slide the wires through the grommet a bit.  Then re-clean the wires and grommet and let it dry.  Then apply RTV to the wires and slide the grommet back to the original position.  Then apply a very thin coating of RTV to the groove in the backside of the grommet and insert it into the case.....then apply a very thin coating of RTV to the outside of the grommet - then put the gasket on and install the cover.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 19:15:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stator side gasket

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.