Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Alternator-Side Engine Cover (Read 318 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Alternator-Side Engine Cover
Reply #15 - 01/21/24 at 11:24:22

At the dealer we had dye to add to oil , run it , get it some ultra violet light on it . The smallest leaks looked like flowing /glowing lava , very cool.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #16 - 01/21/24 at 11:24:56

My bad Mike.  Bad quote.  It was youzguyz that made the comment.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #17 - 02/08/24 at 13:59:02

I am replacing the alternator crankcase gasket today.  I don't have a washer on the outside of the anti-backlash gear.  I've checked the flywheel magnet and the floor and I can't find it.  I've looked and felt around and I can't find it.  The washer on the inside of the gear is there.

Do all model years have the washer on the outside of the gear?  I looked at the case and there is no damage from the gear rubbing against it.

Anti_Backbash_Gear_no_Washer.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #18 - 02/08/24 at 14:01:34

Another view with the gasket area cleaned up and the bolts back where I found them until I figure out my washer situation.

Also, how many crankcase bolts should have a washer?  I only had 1 bolt with a washer located between the starter gear area and the top of the front pully (top rear - right side edge of photo).

Flywheel_Crankcase_Side.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #19 - 02/08/24 at 14:12:03

I believe this is the source of my leak.  There was no gasket material behind where the stator wire grommet plug comes out the case.  There was some RTV in the area.

I'm guessing someone removed the cover and damaged the gasket.  Then tried to fix with RTV.  There was also evidence that the entire gasket had some RTV applied to it.  I had to gently scrape and clean for about an hour.

Stator_wires_exit_from_cover.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #20 - 02/08/24 at 15:18:02

I checked the parts diagram and the outside washer should be there.  I've looked again and still don't see it.

Would the gear necessarily grind on the case without the washer?

I'd order it except it's a $2 part and they want $9 to ship it.  Ain't happening.  I'll try Ace Hardware first.

Now worried it's in there somewhere and I'm just not finding it.  Then again, maybe it was already missing....

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #21 - 02/08/24 at 15:34:24

But wait, there's more!!  I think it had a rubber o-ring on the outside.  A rubber o-ring magically appeared in my work area when I was pulling off the case.  That actually seems kinda smart if that's what somebody did....

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #22 - 02/08/24 at 16:00:50

I put the o-ring on the shaft, and Perfect fit.  I'm pretty sure this is why the o-ring magically appeared on the floor when I pulled the cover.

Thoughts?  I think it's fine and this is what was used instead of the washer.

O-ring_anti_backlash_gear.jpeg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 02/08/24 at 17:25:10

I would remove the O ring and get a steel washer.....just like the factory did it.  I would not trust an O ring to hold up for very long.....O rings are used for seals - not for thrust washers.

Get a washer at the hardware store as close to size/thickness as you can for the inside washer that you still have.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #24 - 02/08/24 at 18:47:29

Thanks Dave. That was my original thought.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #25 - 02/09/24 at 09:44:02

The OEM gaskets come with a bead of silicone pre-applied to the face of the gasket.  It is grey.

When that outer washer gets away from me, I usually find it stuck to the inside of the alternator rotor.  You might wanna look in the rotor real good, all the way around.

Is there any chance that its stuck on the inside of the cover?  The oil tends to hold it on the cover, like this one.

IMG_03631.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #26 - 02/09/24 at 09:46:29

Sometimes, the torque limiter comes out with the outer cover.  Then the inner washer likes to fall between the starter gear and the flywheel, like this.

Starter_Torque_Limiter_Wshr_Lost.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #27 - 02/09/24 at 12:14:51

I searched and felt around everywhere.  No washer.  I bought a 10mm washer from Ace and it fit well.  Got the bike put back together this morning and took it for a short ride to warm up the oil and get it flowing.  I still have a darn drip.  And I swear its where the stator wires exit the cover.  I'm done for the day....  Total frustration has set in.

On a positive note, I don't hear a washer flying around in there...  I more convinced now that the PO used an o-ring in place of the washer.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #28 - 02/20/24 at 10:01:00

Late to give an update...  I thought I was done here.  Woody is bleeding like a stuck pig.  I got the area near the stator wire exit patched up with some RTV.  That seems to be holding for now.  

But.....the gasket didn't seal right near the top front of the alternator cover.  You can see the gasket sticking out about 0.5mm all the way around expect for between the 2 bolts in the photo.  Amazing how much it can spew through such a tiny gap.

I used an aftermarket gasket on this side.  I used a quality OEM gasket on the clutch side.  Lesson - pay the extra $7-8 bucks and buy a quality OEM gasket.

It is also probably partially my fault.  When the cover jumped back on (magnet working) and it landed nicely on the locating dowels, I thought hooray!  I eyeballed it and thought I saw the gasket nicely in place all the way around.  Apparently my eyesight isn't very good.  So, lesson 2, look closely before buttoning up.

It could also be that the aftermarket gasket isn't cut prefectly.

So, new OEM gasket is ordered.  Oil has been drained.  And I try again with a new gasket.

Any tips?  Clean it up real good and use some RTV to hold the gasket in place when the cover gets sucked into the case by the magnet??  I really don't want to use RTV, but I'm tired of this issue!

I'm gunna jump!

Alternator_cover_gasket_leak.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #29 - 02/20/24 at 10:02:51

Woody on the stand and hanging from the rafters!  I am about ready to hang this bike!

PS - Ignore the circa 1998 Macintosh All-In-One computer.  It actually still works and will be donated to a museum.  LOL.

Woddy_Hanging_Out.jpeg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 13:23:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Alternator-Side Engine Cover

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.