Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Alternator-Side Engine Cover (Read 318 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Alternator-Side Engine Cover
01/20/24 at 06:48:46

It's looking like I might have to remove the alternator side engine cover.  I have a small oil drip that's bugging the crap out of me.  

I'm replacing the o-ring on the starter suspecting its the culprit.  I found some oil in the catch tray below the starter that may be flowing out the drain hole in the tray.  Funny how they put that drain hole there like they know the darn o-ring is gunna leak.

That said, I might have a gasket leak at the bottom of the engine cover.  And it may be where the stator wires come out - I tried to patch up that plug area with RTV (maybe it didn't work).  I just can't quite tell where the drip is originating from.

If I have to pull the cover to replace the gasket, it seems simple enough....  But, any tips?  It unnerves me a bit that you have to remove the long through bolts and remove the foot pegs.  Worried I'll get 'em out and then they won't want to align right and go back through.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Alternator-Side Engine Cover
Reply #1 - 01/20/24 at 09:35:26

The foot peg bolts are not a concern.  They will line up OK going back together.  You may need a long bolt or something to drift them out.  While you may not have to take them all the way out to get foot peg clear and the cover off, it is easier in the long run if you do.  (my opinion)
After the bolts of the cover are off, it may feel like the cover is stuck.  That is the magnetic pull from the fly wheel.  It takes a good tug to get it off.  Then all the washers fly off and stick to the fly wheel.  Make sure you put them back where they belong.   See picture.
If your oil leak is the wires going in for the stator, good luck fixing that.  I just let it leak ..

Precaution_2.jpg

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #2 - 01/20/24 at 09:42:21

To make the washer dilemma clear.  
TWO washers go on the front (anti back lash) gear.  One on each side.
NO washers go on the idler gear (next to the starter gear).

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/20/24 at 09:57:01

Check where you're leaking 1st.

Remove the pulley cover, clean and leak check.
https://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1335737953

To remove the cover, you'll need to remove the kickstand mount too as it blocks the case from coming straight out.
A good stand is two jackstands under the tubes that the upper thru bolts go thru.

I usually have no problems getting the thru bolts in.  I've only had 1 that I had trouble with and lifting the engine with a floor jack brought into alignment.

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 01/20/24 at 10:03:25

"Funny how they put that drain hole there like they know the darn o-ring is gunna leak."

I believe the drain hole is intended for water.  If the bike is outside in a rain storm, the starter cavity would fill up with water if the drain hole wasn't there.

Inspect your wires carefully.  I had a new stator start leaking at just a few thousand miles.  The Teflon insulation on the wires had cracked.  The oil ran through the stranded conductors and out through the cracks.  The insulation on that particular piece of junk is Teflon.  No sealant will stick to it.  It's pretty much a boat anchor now.  Maybe someday I will try to install new wires.

Look at this piece of junk.

Failed_Insulation_DB_Electrical_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 01/20/24 at 10:38:02

Thanks Mike.  You made sense of the drain hole!  

You shared this photo in my original post about the stator wire exit grommet.  I shared my ugly pic.  I thought I got it patched up with some RTV, but I still have this drip that I can't pinpoint.  I think I need to remove the alternator side cover, replace the gasket, and do a better job with the RTV.  Globbing it around only the outside probably isn't good enough.  It needs some around the the perimeter against the engine casing is my guess.

Any tips for removing the alternator cover?  Can it be done without completely removing the long through bolts holding the pegs?  Just back out partially?  Or is that just making it a pain?

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #6 - 01/20/24 at 10:44:01

youzguyz wrote on 01/20/24 at 09:42:21:

I'll look at the manual, but what do those washers do?  How do they stay in place?  "One on each side."  Each side of what?

Sorry, I didn't see your other comments before I replied in my last comment.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #7 - 01/20/24 at 12:52:24

ThumperPaul wrote on 01/20/24 at 10:44:01:
youzguyz wrote on 01/20/24 at 09:42:21:

I'll look at the manual, but what do those washers do?  How do they stay in place?  "One on each side."  Each side of what?

Sorry, I didn't see your other comments before I replied in my last comment.

From left to right in the photo you have: flywheel, back lash gear, idler gear, starter.
When you pull off the cover the washer that is on the outside of the back lash gear will likely jump off and stick to the magnetic flywheel.  There is another washer on the inside of the back lash gear.
If you look at this fiche, the washers are #2.  The only go on the back lash gear (#1 - limiter assy).  NO washers go on the idler gear (#3).
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuki/motorcycle/2002/savage-ls650p/starte...

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #8 - 01/20/24 at 13:46:30

Thanks youzguyz!  Weird.  Does that outside washer just hang on the outside?  I'm not grasping its purpose.  It'll probably make more sense when I get in there.  Thanks.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 01/20/24 at 17:26:40

ThumperPaul wrote on 01/20/24 at 13:46:30:
Thanks youzguyz!  Weird.  Does that outside washer just hang on the outside?  I'm not grasping its purpose.  It'll probably make more sense when I get in there.  Thanks.

The washers (on both sides) keeps the splined shaft from chewing into the aluminum.

Gear.PNG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #10 - 01/20/24 at 22:24:34

Wow , All that great info. I’ll be replacing rotor here soon , what great timing. One of the items on winter maintenance list that I’m late on getting started on.   Grin
It was like a refresher course.
And drain hole isn’t for oil , it’s to drain water away from starter pit.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #11 - 01/21/24 at 05:30:36

Thanks Dave and Ruttly.

I’m still not grasping how a washer just floating on the end of the shaft can do anything.  Nothing holding it in place?  And it jumps on to the magnetic flywheel upon disassembly?  What?  At least the washer on the inside of the gear is blocked from going anywhere.  How does the outside washer do anything just being loose on the outside of the shaft?  What am I missing?

DBM explained the drain hole earlier.  That makes complete sense now!  Duh!  But me finding residual oil down in the tray suggests I haven’t resolved the o-ring issue on the starter motor.  This could be the source of my oil drip and I want to replace the o-ring and rule out this item.

I have the left side crankcase gasket in hand and ready if I need to go further.  If the leak is where the stator wires come out of the side cover, that I’ve already tried to patch up from the outside, is the culprit, DBM has already said “good luck and just let it drip”.  This is so unlike Mike.  Impossible must actually exist!

Houston added a new postal service distribution center and it’s been a disaster!  I’m waiting for multiple deliveries from Parzilla ordered as far back as Dec-17.  Some parts are non critical, but the correct OEM o-ring for the starter is in one of those orders!  It’s like I’m not meant to get this bike back together correctly any time soon!

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #12 - 01/21/24 at 06:28:38

ThumperPaul wrote on 01/21/24 at 05:30:36:
I’m still not grasping how a washer just floating on the end of the shaft can do anything.  Nothing holding it in place?  And it jumps on to the magnetic flywheel upon disassembly?  What?  At least the washer on the inside of the gear is blocked from going anywhere.  How does the outside washer do anything just being loose on the outside of the shaft?  What am I missing?

The COVER holds the other end of the shaft for that washer.  See picture.  See the two holes in the upper left?  The one on the left is for the idler gear. (it does NOT need washers).  The one on right is for the backlash gear (it gets a washer on both sides).
Does that help?

Alternator_Stator.jpg

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #13 - 01/21/24 at 07:14:51

Thank you, thank you, thank you, youzguys!!  A picture is worth a 1000 words!  And sorry to be so dense!!  And yes this would have become obvious once inside (but I had to know!!).

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #14 - 01/21/24 at 10:35:57

"DBM has already said “good luck and just let it drip”.  This is so unlike Mike."

Paul, can you point out the post where I said that?  I would like to get a feel for the context.  

I suspect the comment pertained to the type of insulation on the wires.  If the insulation is Teflon (like the wires I show in my picture), you aren't going to find any sort of sealant that will stick to the insulation.  So, good luck getting that sealed up.  I opted to just change the stator assembly even though the one I had in the bike was still almost new.  I hate screwing around with cheap, poor-quality aftermarket electrical parts.  Mechanical stuff I can fix, electrical stuff not so much.

The only good fix I can see for the cracked insulation shown in my picture is to unsolder the wires at the stator, pull them out of the plug, and replace with new wires.  Someday I will attempt that.  The stator checks out electrically, but the crack in the insulation leaks oil like crazy.  It also bubbles like crazy when I air test and check with soap solution.

I don't know why you haven't air tested yet.  It's easy to do and works great.  If you are afraid of 10 psi, test at 5 psi.   You are correct to be respectful of air pressure.  It can be dangerous and has the potential to pop an engine case just like a balloon.  I install a bleed valve between my regulator and the item under test.  Then I open the bleed valve all the way and adjust the regulator until I just start to see pressure on the gage.  Then slowly start closing the bleed valve until I achieve the desired test pressure.  An even safer method is to use a bicycle pump.  Put a little air in that thing and soap down all the joints.  The bubbles will show you where the leak is.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 13:30:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Alternator-Side Engine Cover

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.