Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ya'll ain't going to believe this ! (Read 86 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Ya'll ain't going to believe this !
01/17/24 at 06:51:09

I've lived here in Lynchburg Tn. for 28 years now and I've never seen minus temp here before .   This morning I got up about daylight to put wood in the heater and peeked out at the outdoor thermostat , it was on -10 F .
If freezing temps in the winter makes the next year bug free then I might have to go as far as Texas to find a bug by time spring gets here ?  Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Ya'll ain't going to believe this !
Reply #1 - 01/17/24 at 08:11:39

Brrrr

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #2 - 01/17/24 at 09:18:55

Even Tampa isn't much better that your weather this week, MMRanch. The lows at night are cold down here too. Last night at 10:30 it was 61 degrees and comfortable in a t-shirt. By 3:00am the wind chill was 20 degrees.

This time last winter we had a few days that the high was barely above freezing. What happened to all of that global warming that was in the news all the time about 20 years ago? Wink

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 01/17/24 at 09:40:17

Here in northern Kentucky the winter has been mild - until we got to the last few days.  The temps have been in the single digits every night, and barely into the teens during the days.  Today we have sun and although it was 6 degrees this morning - we are supposed to get into the 20's by afternoon.  Friday/Saturday/Sunday are supposed to be cold again with lows very close to zero.

The cold has not created anything more than a dusting of snow however.

It has been 15 years or more since we have been able to skate on or pond - we may be able to this year.

I have been hiding in my garage making a pair of DragBikeMike gears for my oil pump.....who knew it could take days and days and days!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #4 - 01/21/24 at 13:05:23

One of my brothers lives in Calgary.  Last week one night they had -57 F wind chill.  Yeah, I only visit him in July and August!

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 01/21/24 at 14:14:14

On my way to church this morning, my car showed -4.

We have been in the single digits often for nearly a week - but this is the first time it got below zero.

My concrete porch has been getting colder and colder - I just checked with my infrared thermometer and the concrete porch is 10 degrees....the adjacent concrete driveway is 1 degree.  This Wednesday it is going to warm up and rain for two days........our porch will likely get soaking wet and the water will freeze on the cold concrete!

« Last Edit: 01/21/24 at 16:32:12 by Dave »  

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 01/21/24 at 16:30:33

We had some days like that a week or so back.
Our lowest temp was 2 here at the house, with a wind chill in the negative 10-17 range, thanks to 20-30 mph N winds.

There was a LOT more fresh air out there than usual.
Have you guys noticed that ?

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 01/21/24 at 20:21:48

I've got a luggage rack and case guards ordered for the Super Meteor but the mail isn't running .   My shop is too cold anyway.
So
I've been watching utube videos of the rides around Moab Utah .  

How you fellers been staying busy ?

Our weather is forecast wet and warm next week !

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 01/22/24 at 03:41:59

Thanks to my outdoor wood burner - my shop is 65 degrees and I have been hiding in there for the last week.  When I built this place 15 years ago I knew my winters would be spent in the garage - so having a well lit and heated garage was a priority for me.

I took the head off the Retro Savage engine I built last year and redid the copper head gasket.....I wasn't happy with the Ultra Grey sealer I used and went with Copper Coat instead.  I made my DragBikeMike modified oil pump gears.....that took me several days.  I took the bent rims and rusty spokes from my 1984 Honda CT110 and installed new spokes and rims....it now rides really smoothly since the new rims are round!

I likely have a couple more months of crappy weather and outdoor work will be limited.  I am likely to take the 95mm Wiseco pop top piston out of the Cafe' bike and put in a 94 or 97mm Wiseco Flat top.  The F800 needs a new rear tire before it goes to Texas.  I will likely get back to working on the Retro Standard Savage project that will become a bike layout similar to a 60's era British Single.  I may even have to do some work on the house if I run out of motorcycle projects!

Here is a photo of my wood burner in action.  It was -4 without any wind when I took that photo - the smoke is mostly water vapor and it burns far cleaner than the photo would imply.  On normal days there is very little visible smoke when the fire is burning.   

IMG_2948.JPG

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #9 - 01/22/24 at 09:12:31

Smiley

I'm thinking you have the best wood heater I've ever seen Dave .   Wink

When my son "Anders" gets around to a good way to use wood for heat then I will be helping him design something like you have.  
Warning :   I'll be trying to pick your brain more about it later ...

I have to ask :  why ?    I am likely to take the 95mm Wiseco pop top piston out of the Cafe' bike and put in a 94 or 97mm Wiseco Flat top.  

Best I remember your bike runs as good as any ... Right up there with  the (Beast or REX) ...   .

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 01/22/24 at 10:10:26

MMRanch wrote on 01/22/24 at 09:12:31:
I have to ask :  why ?    I am likely to take the 95mm Wiseco pop top piston out of the Cafe' bike and put in a 94 or 97mm Wiseco Flat top.  
Best I remember your bike runs as good as any ... Right up there with  the (Beast or REX) ...   .

It is not likely a question I have a good answer for.  It does run well, it can get 60+ mpg if I ride in a calm manner, it has topped out at 101mph on the 2 times I tried (but it won't go any faster), it pulls well out of corners without the need to shift down a gear, and it is reliable and starts the instant I hit the starter button.......and it has done that for somewhere around 15,000 miles!

It is just something I feel the need to do......it is very likely that it could run just a lil' bit better!  With the piston swap I will also be working on a larger header pipe to help it flow exhaust gasses better, and installing my DragBikeMike oil pump gears for more oil flow.
Wink

I guess I am looking to have the fastest Savage on the US mainland.....we already know that DragBikeMike has the fastest Savage in the world!

« Last Edit: 01/23/24 at 04:02:54 by Dave »  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 01/22/24 at 11:19:47

California showers brings.... mud.
Previous week had on and off sprinkles all week.
Today there are hard showers all day.
And hourly news reports of the worlds going to end... shortly.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 23:35:53

General CategoryThe Cafe › Ya'll ain't going to believe this !

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.