Cafe Bikes (Read 243 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Cafe Bikes
12/17/23 at 14:40:01

MMRanch has been talking about his Royal Enfield Meteor 350 on another post.  I'm posting this as I'm interested in seeing and hearing about other cafes and particularly thumper cafes.  

I bought a 2021 CSC SG250 San Gabriel on a whim about 2 month ago with 14 miles on it.  Prior owner bought it brand new and decided riding wasn't for him.  He could have saved a lot of time and money if he had taken a MSF course first.  His loss, my gain.  He let it set up for 2 years.  I had to deal with a gummed up carb, bad gas, rust in gas tank, dead battery.  I got it cheap and it was an easy fix.

It's a Meteor wanna-be.  It's fun to buzz and sling around in the neighborhood, but it's extremely lacking in any real power and forget about putting it on a Houston super slab.  Manufacturer (CSC/Zongshen) claims 70mph with a 15T/50T sprocket combo (3.33 ratio).  I'm running a 14T/41T combo (2.93 ratio) and ain't no way this thing is reaching a theoretical top speed of 80mph.  Ok, maybe with a 5 mile downhill stretch....with the wind at your back.....laying down on the gas tank....and hanging your nose over the handlebars!

It's still in the break-in period so I haven't really pushed it at WOT for extended periods.  I did swap out the 108 main jet for a 112.  It liked that and I have a 115 I'll try later.  I think it will like that even more.

I added the tank knee pads and end bar mirrors.  It gets a lot of looks and questions when I'm out and about.  It's fun, but not enough grunt for me and my old body isn’t crazy about the riding position (most specifically the foot pegs up my rear end).

I will probably put it up for sale in the spring when new riders start looking and tax refunds start rolling in.

I am real interested to see what others have hanging around in the garage!  Post up those Cafe pics and tell us about it!
« Last Edit: 12/19/23 at 10:54:48 by ThumperPaul »  

SG250_Right_Side.jpeg
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Re: Cafe Bikes
Reply #1 - 12/18/23 at 12:37:46

I have no cafe bike. That seat looks like it is comfotable.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #2 - 12/18/23 at 12:50:32

springman wrote on 12/18/23 at 12:37:46:
I have no cafe bike. That seat looks like it is comfotable.

The seat feels like a 2x6 with a piece of 1/4" foam stretched over it!  LOL.  It's a nut, arse, buster.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #3 - 12/18/23 at 14:12:46

Yikes!

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 12/18/23 at 15:48:37

Here is my Savage Cafe'......I have about 16,000 miles since the build.

Cafe_002.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 12/18/23 at 16:35:40

Oh my!  Absolutely stunning, Dave!!  I love everything about it!  That is a labor of love!  You have to love riding it!  I can see the savage, but that’s because I know.  It looks like a ground-up, completely custom, build!  This is what I wanted to see and hear about!  Wow!  Just wow!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 12/19/23 at 03:49:44

Thanks - I rode the bike stock to the 2012 group ride at Deals Gap where I first met members MMRanch, Lancer, Oldfellor and several other members who are no longer around.  The bike got the Cafe' conversion in the spring of 2013 and was ridden in primer on the bodywork, then in the spring of 2014 I took it apart and painted it.

Armen has a great bike in the works....hopefully he will post a photo for you.

Gary_in-NJ has a very nice bike....he hasn't logged onto the forum for more than a year.

You can find more builds if you go into the Bike Builds sticky at the top of the Rubber Side Down page.  Unfortunately a lot of photos have been lost when Tinypic stopped doing business.  I need to repair my thread photos - unfortunately a lot of the comments from prior members will likely not make sense anymore.

Gary_in_NJ.jpg

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #7 - 12/19/23 at 06:25:35

So freakin’ awesome!  So much to look at and admire!  The reduced rake completely changes the bike!  That must to be fun in the twisties!  I see y’all both did the chain conversion too!  Better “bite”!?

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 12/19/23 at 09:56:35

Paul , I think that 250 of your is a Hansom bike , and I see it has a Center Stand  Smiley Smiley .  

Ya know running the Speed limit is an "OK" thing to do most of the time .  Wink
It seems like a lot of folks will run "As fast as they can get away with" and then wonder why there is a traffic jam getting around a wreck up ahead ?.  Huh Huh Huh

Personally , speeds over 70 don't seem as much fun as a run through some 30mph twisty back roads at 50 or so.

So , I'll take the back roads instead of the main hwy for all my local commute's .  Smiley Smiley

Yes , I know , most folks have a time management problem ... and most don't even realize it ...  Sad Sad Sad  ... but what are we to do  ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 12/19/23 at 10:15:44

ThumperPaul wrote on 12/19/23 at 06:25:35:
 That must to be fun in the twisties!  I see y’all both did the chain conversion too!  Better “bite”!?

The bike is a blast in the curves......both the steering and the engine torque.

I still have a belt - Kawasaki EN500 front pulley and KZ750 rear pulley to drop my gearing.  My bike is turning 3,500 rpm at 60 mph.......a stock bike will be turning 4,000 rpm at 60mph.  My bike is light and my engine is modified - so it pulls just fine at lower rpm.  I mostly don't use 5th gear unless I am going 60mph or more.

IMG_2819.JPG

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #10 - 12/19/23 at 11:01:04

Great pic, Dave!  What’s the saying…. More fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow!

I hear you MM!  Where’s a pic of your Meteor 350 and Super Meteor 650!?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 12/22/23 at 07:12:40

Dave,... best cafe ever...  Cool

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #12 - 12/22/23 at 07:48:10

Yes Dave’s is very well done , super easy to look at. I think his choice of tanks sets it apart from others. So I see a bike that’s very neat and in order and squeaky clean. If I had a cafe he would be my nemesis. But I ride a tracker , so we can still be friends.   Grin
Lots of great builders here , I think I stay for the motivation & ideas , keeps me driven. I almost bought a Chinese bike when I retired very similar to that one. But the bug bit me to build my retirement bike rather than buy one !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 12/22/23 at 13:23:22

Thanks for the great support and compliments - the bike did turn out well....likely the best project I have ever done.  The big headlight might be an acquired taste though - if you are used to the little 5-1/4" headlight the 8" one might appear a bit excessive!  With the Cyclops LED it does provide a lot of light!

I do ride the bike often - but I put more miles on the other bikes.  I do intend to get in the Hall of Fame soon when I reach 25,000 miles on it.  I have 18,000 on it right now.  It stays somewhat clean as I try not to ride it in the rain - it throws water all over me when the roads are wet!  Armen can attest that it has been in the rain - he and I and a friend of his road south out of Highlands, NC and into north Georgia last year and ride right into an intense rain storm with pretty good sized hail.  I put rain gear on - but the storm was too intense and went right through....I ended up with a puddle of water inside my headlight!

There are some other great builds on this site that are equal or better than mine - unfortunately a lot of those photos in the Bike Builds section have not survived the changes in host sites for photos....I know my build thread is pretty much trash.  A lot of those builders are also not on the forum to update their build threads.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #14 - 12/22/23 at 16:37:19

Ruttly is right about the tank!  The headlight looks right with that tank and front suspension!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 10:16:36

General CategoryThe Cafe › Cafe Bikes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.