Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Camshaft "upgrade" or stock (Read 53 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Camshaft "upgrade" or stock
12/05/23 at 07:14:58

Without speaking in poorly defined and confusing Stages 12345 (like my favorite woody stage 0.75), what is a good "not too aggressive" camshaft?  It needs to be a simple "plug and play" without requiring modifications and reworking (aside from some carb tuning).

Basic assumptions (is this even a "stage 1"):
1) stock air box, cover removed, hiflo air filter
2) stock exhaust head pipe, 17" open exhaust with baffle.  It's unmarked, no name, turn out style.  Appears to be a decently constructed “universal”.
3) Mikuni VM36 carb that would be dialed in for whatever cam (note: I like the responsiveness of the slide carb over stock CV carb)

A little bump up in the mid range would be cool.  I don't want some hard to start thing with rough idle or unpredictable WOT.  And, I'm not going for a bigger and/or higher compression piston down the road (unless I fry to break what I have).

Should I just stick with stock or is there something out there I should consider?  Why, what's it's benefit?

« Last Edit: 12/05/23 at 08:37:13 by ThumperPaul »  
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Camshaft "upgrade" or stock
Reply #1 - 12/05/23 at 08:25:20

All of the available performance camshafts for the Savage are mild and do not affect the ability to start your bike, how it idles, or significantly affects fuel mileage (providing your are not always using the extra power).

They are all plug and play with the stock piston.

The power increase will be more with a Wiseco piston installed - but a cam upgrade will give you some power increase.  The Stage 3 that Lancer offers will work fine - the DR650 will also work but is hard to find used and is $327 new......it also has to have oiling holes drilled for use in the Savage.

I have a good used Webcam 466 that you can have for $80 and the cost of shipping.

Stock LS650:  Duration @0.20" lift = 230 degrees, IN lift .345", EX lift ,342"

Webcam 466:  Duration @0.20" lift = 236 degrees, IN lift .369", EX lift ,352"

Webcam Stage 1:  Duration @0.20" lift = 244 degrees, IN lift .372", EX lift ,356"

Webcam Stage 3:  Duration @0.20" lift = 244 degrees, IN lift .393", EX
lift ,376"

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #2 - 12/05/23 at 08:33:40

Thanks Dave.  Can you rattle off the names/brands of a couple you might recommend?  Or share a link?  If I do this, I don’t want to cheap out and buy junk.  I also don’t want to pay an arm and a leg.  Thanks.

Edit:  oops sorry, my scroll feature acted up and I didn’t see your entire comment.  I may be interested in your good used Webcam 466.  How good and how used?  I’m guessing the break-in period would be shorter in a re-install (yes, no?).  Why selling?  Did you outgrow it?  What could I expect from it performance wise?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 12/05/23 at 08:45:07

I posted the data in the previous post.

Lancer is the exclusive retailer of the Webcam Stage 3.....it is a profile that was made specifically for him.  The same is applicable to the Stage 1 and 2 cams that were offered previously.  The old Stage 2 had a longer duration and is no longer offered....the Stage 3 has the duration of the Old Stage 2 with a higher lift than the Stage 1, and it works very well.

Webcam makes 3 grinds of their own design for the Savage - the 466 is what they recommend with the stock piston, the others are recommended for modified engines including pistons/exhaust/intake.  Their list is $325 each.

The only source of performance cams I am aware of is Webcam.....or an OEM Suzuki DR650 cam for the 1992-1995 model years.

« Last Edit: 12/05/23 at 09:51:04 by Dave »  

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 12/05/23 at 09:09:36

A Stage 3 cam is designed for precisely that.  In comparison to other cams in general, this is slightly above a mild performance cam profile, just edging into the mid range category.  It enhances the best of the midrange torque the LS650 produces, while still extending the power range to 6500rpm and beyond if needed.  It does not stretch our engine beyond its capabilities, it enables better breathing throughout the rpm range.
Hiway cruising is easier, as is passing slower traffic and riding uphill, and acceleration is much more brisk.  Adding a 36mm VM carb adds to the responsiveness and power available if needed.

Added:  the Stage 3 cam has the same lift as the Stage 2, and the same duration as the Stage 1.  I settled on this arrangement because the Stage 2 moved the torque/power up in the rpm range to far.  It went up to 4500-8000 rpm.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 12/05/23 at 09:40:55

Thanks for the info and history, Dave.  It should be helpful to others as well.  

This guide on degreeing in the cam gave me a brain aneurysm!  And I just thought finding TDC was hard trying to do a simple valve lash!  What happened to plug and play!?  I can’t just line up all the marks and be good to go?

http://www.webcamshafts.com/pages_misc/degreeing.html

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 12/05/23 at 09:47:06

I forgot to mention that installation and valve settings for this cam is the same as for a stock cam.  No difference … Easy to do.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 12/05/23 at 09:48:43

You are not going to have to worry about degreeing your cam on the Savage - you will just follow the directions for lining up the timing marks.

Setting up the cam(s) on a performance engine is far more critical than it is on a Savage.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #8 - 12/05/23 at 10:50:55

Thanks Lancer and Dave.  That's great to know!!  It sure seemed extremely precision in their tutorial.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 09:31:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Camshaft "upgrade" or stock

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.