Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Unanswered questions ??? (Read 24 times)
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Unanswered questions ???
11/28/23 at 00:19:19

I've always wondered?:

1.  Why do OEMs put 19" wheels on their standard bikes, when they know 18 inchers corner quicker? This goes back to the early 1900s.

2. Diesel locomotives are powered by electric traction motors on the axles, the diesel is used to charge batteries, so why do we hear the diesels straining at start-up. Shouldn't they be running at constant speed?
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Unanswered questions ???
Reply #1 - 11/28/23 at 03:14:29

zipidachimp wrote on 11/28/23 at 00:19:19:
I've always wondered?:

1.  Why do OEMs put 19" wheels on their standard bikes, when they know 18 inchers corner quicker? This goes back to the early 1900s.

I would guess they do this to make the bike more stable.....not every rider wants (or is qualified) to ride a bike that changes directions quicky.

2. Diesel locomotives are powered by electric traction motors on the axles, the diesel is used to charge batteries, so why do we hear the diesels straining at start-up. Shouldn't they be running at constant speed?

This is a guess - but I suspect the engines ramp up to help the batteries provide the needed amperage/voltage when the train is struggling to get moving. The batteries mostly act as a buffer for power coming from the generator.  I believe they use the electric motors for the drive as they can produce a lot of torque - even at low rpm.  Electric motors really hate voltage drop and can burn up if the voltage is below the design voltage, and the batteries likely help to maintain the voltage during high loads.  Our minister was in Mexico building a church and they were in a very remote area.....their power tools kept burning up as the electric supply voltage would drop when they pulled too many amps.
Cheers!  Cool

« Last Edit: 11/28/23 at 05:46:15 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 01:32:13

General CategoryThe Cafe › Unanswered questions ???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.