Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Carb Jetting
11/22/23 at 06:48:08

For me and the bikes I have worked on - the stock CV carb works best with a #150 main and a #50 pilot.  Only 1 engine that I worked on wanted a #52.5 pilot.  If you regularly ride over 4,000' msl......you may need smaller jets.

A #155 main is likely going to be waaaaaay too rich and the engine will be sluggish and lose the crispness that proper jetting provides.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #1 - 11/22/23 at 13:44:57

You can't compare jets used in a CV carb to the ones used in a VM.  They are entirely different carbs and operate differently.  We fuss around with the jets that control fuel flow - the carbs also have air correction jets that work with the fuel jets......the factories have installed the air correction jets that work with their carbs.  IF you start messing around with the air correction jets.......you are entering into a very advanced carb tuning area - we don't need to go there on a Savage that is more like a lawn mower than a race bike.

One example of how different they can be - is the idle mixture screw.  On the CV carb - the fuel mixture screw controls how much fuel flows into the idle circuit.  On the VM cab - the air mixture screw controls how much air goes into the idle circuit.  On the fuel mixture screw turning the screw out clockwise adds more fuel and makes the mixture richer.......on the air mixture screw turning the screw out clockwise adds more air and makes the mixture leaner!  One way to tell the difference is that a fuel mixture screw is on the engine side (CV) of the slide - while an air mixture screw is on the air cleaner side (VM) of the slide.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/22/23 at 19:40:04

The bottom line here is that the carb needs to deliver the proper air/fuel mixture.  

Anytime the carb pulls more air, it will require more fuel.  This is the reason pilot jets are smaller than main jets.  There is less air being consumed off idle than at high speeds.  

We often say the pilot jet only affects the low end.   That's not completely accurate.  The fuel delivered by the pilot jet doesn't go away as we pull from the main.  The main jet is simply adding more fuel than the pilot can provide on its own.

So, in theory, a 50/150 pilot/main combo is the same as a 45/155 combo at WOT in the same carb.  If the ideal total of the jets is 200 at WOT, the performance will be the same at WOT because we are delivering the same air/fuel ratio. 

If switch to a larger bore carb, we still need to achieve the same air-to-fuel ratio.  Since the larger bore will bring more air to the table at WOT we would expect that we will need to increase the fuel delivered to achieve the same air/fuel ratio.  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 11/23/23 at 06:33:53

Have you compared the air jet sizes in your evaluation?  If the air jets are larger - then the fuel jets will also be larger.  Do the Murray carbs have the same slide/air jets/needle/needle jet that Lancer's carbs have?

Mikuni VM carbs are used on both 4 cycle and 2 cycle engines - and the air jets, fuel jets, needle jet, needles and slides can all be different.

Use Lancer's guide as a starting point....then jet as necessary to make the bike run well.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1157720585

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #4 - 11/23/23 at 08:23:07

ThumperPaul wrote on 11/23/23 at 05:54:09:
I also went back to DBM’s carburetor shoot out with his highly modified hot rod, and his jetting of the stock carb and VM36 suggests a total of 220 is way too rich for a stock setup with somewhat more open exhaust. The jetting Mike notes for the PWK38 he trialed puzzle me though (much smaller) and I wonder if this wasn’t the jetting he used in a more stock setup or it’s a typo.

Differences in how well the different carbs atomize fuel at various throttle openings could account for that too. Carb A may work best with leaner part throttle mix and richer full throttle mix, while carb B may require the opposite.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 11/23/23 at 08:38:10

I am pretty sure that DragBikeMile was working with a VM38.....not a VM36.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/23/23 at 08:49:25

Dave and Fast 650 bring up good points.  

My example is comparing jets in say a stock carb at WOT, just to make a point.  And, I oversimplified the larger bore example.  The larger bore isn't the only factor at play here.

I honestly don't know exactly how these carbs work in detail, but I don't think you can assume anything about the air/fuel ratio based on jet sizes across different carbs. I don't think it's that simple.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #7 - 11/23/23 at 17:12:39

I can’t comment on jetting on the VM36.  Never tried one.  But I suspect it will behave much like the PWK.  When I swapped out a PWK 38 with a PWK 36, I ended up dropping the main jet size from a 140 to a 132.  So, the only thing I changed was the carb, and the smaller carb required a main jet three sizes smaller.

I don’t think it is useful to try and add the main jet and pilot jet sizes to arrive at any sort of useful rule of thumb.  The jet size convention varies from carb to carb.

The jets for the VM carbs are rated by flow.  The number on the jet doesn’t indicate the actual size of the jet.  A #200 Mikuni VM jet is not 2mm.  A #180 Mikuni VM jet is not 1.8 mm.  The number of the VM jets indicates flow.  So, the size designation of the jet indicates some flow rating like ml/sec or ml/minute or ml/hour etc.  I guess the only thing you need to know is bigger number equals more fuel.

The jets for the Keihin PWK and the Mikuni BS40 are rated by size.  Those jets are marked with numbers that indicate the size of the hole in the jet.  For instance, a #152.5 jet for the Mikuni BS is 1.525 mm.  A #145 jet for a PWK has a 1.450 mm hole.  Same thing goes for the pilot jets.
I made a table to do jet comparisons.  The hole sizes I list in the table were measured with pin gages.  They are not nearly accurate enough to precisely measure a jet, but they are good enough to get within a few thousandths of an inch.  The tables come in handy for comparisons and evaluations.

If you look at the pilot jet section at the beginning of the table, you will see that a PWK #45 and a Mikuni VM #20 are both .017”.  That’s because the PWK designation is based on the size of the hole, while the Mikuni VM designation is based on flow.

I’m gonna post the full table.  Some of you might find it useful.  Every jet I have listed on the table has been measured with a pin gage.   Not perfect, but possibly helpful.

Here is sheet 1 of the table.

Jet_Size_Sheet_1.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #8 - 11/23/23 at 17:13:11

Sheet 2

Jet_Size_Sheet_2.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 11/23/23 at 17:13:46

And sheet 3

Jet_Size_Sheet_3.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #10 - 11/23/23 at 17:16:48

I believe Dave already mentioned this, but I will reiterate.  To make any sort of comparison between the Murray Carb setup and Lancer’s carb setup, you need all the pertinent data.  They are both VM carbs, but there are 10 separate components/adjustments that must be considered.

Main Jet
Pilot Jet
Needle Jet
Needle
Needle Clip Setting
Main Air Bleed
Slide
Float Level
Air Screw Setting
Needle & Seat

So, you just can’t say throw a #165 main jet in there because the main air bleed has a huge effect on the main jet’s fuel delivery curve.  The #165 main jet might work fine on a carb with a #0.5 main air bleed, but if it has a #2.0 main air bleed the #165 main jet will be grossly lean.  If one of the carbs has a really small needle jet (for instance a N-5), it might run too lean no matter how large a main jet is installed.  Same sort of guidance pertains to the needle.

I advise you to look at every one of the ten items in the list above (not 3, not 6, all 10), and record the appropriate information (size designator, setting, etc.).  Then post that information and see if Lancer or someone else with a VM36 can verify if you have a good setup.

To drive the point home, let’s look at the VM38 and the PWK38 to see how the main air bleed affects the WOT mixture.  They both have 38mm venturis.  At WOT, the venturi vacuum should be about the same.  On my bike with a hotrod motor, the VM needed a 210 main jet.  That’s about .051”.  On the same engine, the PWK liked a #140 main jet.  That’s about .055”.  In the world of jets, .004” is a whole bunch.  Why did the 38mm PWK need such a large main jet?  It’s because the main air bleed on the PWK is .071” while the main air bleed on the VM is only .020”.

You need to know the size and/or setting of each component.  You need to know how one component affects the other (i.e main jet vs main air bleed, slide cutaway vs needle jet, air screw vs pilot jet, needle vs needle jet, etc.).

One last comment, right out of the box these carbs should be set up grossly rich.  The vendor doesn’t want you to melt your engine.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #11 - 11/24/23 at 06:17:36

Thank you, DBM!!  This explains everything!  EDIT in your comparison question: “Why did the VM38 (not PWK) need such a large jet?”

How did you discover that the VM carbs are flow rate and not a measurement size?  That was a huge enlightenment for me here and not something you Google and find on the internet (at least I couldn’t)!  And I wanted to ask why in your “Carb Shootout” for your hotrod that it required such a large jet on the VM vs PWK.  Thanks for addressing that!!

Now I have to find this main air bleed screw you speak of and the other items (all 10)!  I need to do some homework and find a diagram. Like where do I find the air bleed on the VM?

You amaze me with your knowledge!!  And you’re absolutely right about the VM out of the box!  I can’t remember the exact numbers I read, but I think they are 35 and 350.  That really had me scratching my head!

Obviously, I don’t know much!  Thanks again!!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #12 - 11/25/23 at 09:43:10

"EDIT in your comparison question: “Why did the VM38 (not PWK) need such a large jet?”"

Actually Paul, no edit is necessary.  That question is correct just as I posted it.  While the VM #210 jet does have a larger number designator, the orifice is actually smaller than the PWK #145.  The point I was trying to make is that you would think that the two 38mm carbs would probably require main jets with orifices about the same size.  But that quick & dirty assessment doesn't take into account the main air bleed.  The PWK has a much larger main air bleed that necessitates a larger main jet orifice.

I found some good info in the Mikuni Tuning Guide.  It may be of use to you.  A standard VM36 comes delivered from Sudco with the following components.

Main Jet:   310
Pilot Jet       35
Needle Jet   159 Q-5
Needle        6FJ6
Needle Clip Setting   Mid
Main Air Bleed   2.0
Slide  2.5
Float Level   17-19
Air Screw Setting   1.5
Needle & Seat   3.3

I suspect as long as your needle jet, needle, main air bleed, slide, float level, and needle & seat agree with the as delivered data, you should be able to install a main jet and pilot jet recommended by Lancer and it should run just fine.  You will have to adjust the needle clip position and idle air screw to suit.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #13 - 11/25/23 at 12:50:36

Thanks Mike.  I read it numerically and incorrectly obviously.

Your info on the factory carb is what I found as well.  I need to check the needle jet (emulsion tube) on my carb, and then I was going to post the info for my carb set up for the Savage.

Appreciate your time in responding!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 07:20:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re: Carb Jetting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.