Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Mikuni VM36 rebuild kits? (Read 180 times)
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mikuni VM36 rebuild kits?
11/15/23 at 14:01:32

Hey savages,

I've been shopping around for a genuine Mikuni VM36 rebuild kit but can't seem to find the genuine article anywhere. Has anyone had experience with the Amazon rebuild kids? They all seem it be different, suspicious manufacturers.

Thanks

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Mikuni VM36 rebuild kits?
Reply #1 - 11/15/23 at 14:25:15

What parts do you need for your VM ?

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/15/23 at 14:39:54

I'm just about to do a cleaning due to a weird idling issue, wanted to get the o-rings and gasket before hand in case I find them all weird once I get in there. What do you think lancer?

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #3 - 11/16/23 at 05:59:35

This kit appears to be genuine.  I ended up buying one of the $10 cheapo kits.  Like you, I wanted it just in case and mostly for the float bowl gasket and fuel float valve.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/155812598186?epid=14063129245&hash=item24472791aa:g:...

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #4 - 11/17/23 at 18:20:48

I think VM36 doesnt have many kits because of the variability of the versions of it.

The kits usually come with these items. Here are the Mikuni part numbers according to this drawing and the associated Sudco part numbers.

https://www.mikunipower.com/Manuals/VM_Manual.pdf

I know I and Lancer both have Sudco accounts and could quote you prices.

1.   Rubber Cap, Throttle Cable            VM26/46              002-061
12. Rubber Cap, Starting System              VM20/455      002-084
19. Gasket, Float Bowl                    VM36/20              002-102
26. O-Ring, Drain Plug                  VM28/254              002-531
29. Air Screw                                VM20/214              002-180
30. Spring, Air Screw                          M12F/46              002-181
32. Idler Adjuster Screw                  VM22/171              002-183      
31. Spring, Idle Adjuster Screw            M20/11            Not sure
33. Washer, Needle Valve Seat            B34/52            002-187
34. Needle Valve Assembly                    VM34/39      Depends on what you want
38. Screw, Float Chamber 5x16            CW2-0516              002-373

It appears the VM36 doesnt have Air-Screw and Idle Adjuster Screw O-rings, but that seems kind of strange.

WWW   IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/17/23 at 18:54:21

Thanks everyone,

I was able to find a couple resources for future reference:

http://www.nichecycle.com/ncs/mikuni-vm36-4-vm38-9-carb-rebuild-kit.html

http://www.nichecycle.com/ncs/catalogsearch/result/?q=Vm36

Spammy I can confirm there aren't o-rings for the air or idle screw. This carb is actually very, very simple/easy to tear down and put back together -- another reason it's so great. Out of impatience I decided to just reuse my o-rings and gaskets, they didn't seem in bad shape, the carb was actually really clean in general but that pilot jet is so small I can imagine maybe some muck might have been causing my weird idling issues.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 11/18/23 at 04:36:12

What is the size of the pilot jet in your 36VM ?
I use a #20 pilot jet as a starter point for jetting/tuning for locations at or near sea level.  
Besides the pilot jet, you also need to check the tiny passageways in the carb body to insure they are clear as well, because if not then the carb will not function properly.  Use carb cleaner, compressed air, and especially a carb cleaning tool to insure those passageways are clear.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #7 - 11/18/23 at 05:27:37

Following... My cheapo rebuild kit and set of knockoff main jets arrived yesterday.  Thanks for all tips here.  I didn’t buy any slow jets and will just clean up whatever is in there for now.  The short video of the bike running about a month ago before I bought the bike seemed to show it was idling ok.  Interested to see if I find a #20 or something else in there.

Appreciate the info about no O-rings.  And to put extra effort into cleaning out all the tiny passages.  I have a bad habit of getting in a hurry on that step (note to self, do it right the first time!).

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 11/18/23 at 05:47:07

Paul,

The the disassembly itself this guy has a pretty decent walkthrough:

https://youtu.be/P6dV4ukCT1I?si=toyacmEKee5vcsL4

The only issue I ran into was removing the pin for the float arm, it was in there pretty good and the float arm is really fragile, feels like gold leaf. I ended up buying one of these from my local big box:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/General-Tools-Instruments-5-in-Center-Punch/1053205

Was able to get it out in one punch.

I would recommend being very careful with the idle jet/pilot jet. I think the screwdriver slot is for a JIS, and the brass is like buttery soft. I have a small, generic precision screwdriver set that worked fine but if it was in there any tighter i would have marred it.

Lancer I didnt check my jets when I was in there, I bought one of those Murray carbs, where you're essentially paying him twice the cost of the carb to have him pre-jet it based on providing him a picture of the bike, showing him if there's an aftermarket exhaust, etc. Not to throw the guy under the bus, but it's better to learn how to jet and tune, I was just impatient at the time.

Knowing what I know now I would have bought it stock with a jet kit and did my own tuning.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #9 - 11/18/23 at 13:35:55

Hey SurvivingPhilly.

Yep, the pin holding the float ‘rest’ was in there real good.  Gently put the carb in a bench vise and then gently tapped it out with a small hand allen wrench and a couple light taps of a hammer.

I did end up scoring the top of the pilot jet.  Not terrible, and re-usable.  I barely got my go-to slot screwdriver in there.  I don’t have a JIS that small.  The JIS of a Phillips #2 is a must have for a lot of parts on these bikes (real handy getting the float bowl screws in and out without jacking up the screw head)!

I think the cheap kit worked.  The float valve has a smaller bore than stock.  A bit concerning and interested to see how it does.

Interesting - this project bike I’m working on came with a Murray’s carb on it.  So I’m working on the exact same carb and set up. My wife and I spent 15 minutes trying to read the main jet size and we think we read #165.  It definitely doesn’t say 195 or 200.  It might say 185….  If the 165 is right, it is obviously a lot smaller than what Lancer recommends at around #200.  I dropped in a 200 on Lancer’s guidance.  The slow jet was totally unmarked or disappeared, but whatever it is is now clean.  We’ll see what happens if I ever get this thing ready to crank and run.  Fighting numerous issues.

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 11/20/23 at 10:47:31

You may want to go up a size -- I think mine has larger jets because I have a 3 inch slash cut exhaust with no baffle (and it's too loud).

I think the air intake hose he provides is too short, no sure if you've run into this. I'm meaning to get another one once I get the time but so far so good, been running the carb about a year and it was a nigh and day difference from stock.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #11 - 11/20/23 at 11:51:45

I agree that the intake tube could be about 3/8" longer, but it still seals at both ends.  The last Savage I swapped carbs on, I installed a cheap PWK40 ebay special.  I used a 2" ID "turbo" tube.  It came in 8" length and I cut it down to a nice snug fit.  I didn't measure the OD of air intake venturi side of the Mikuni VM36.  The 2" might be a bit too big, but that's the idea.

If I get the f-in wood out of my cylinder, maybe I can fire this bike up for the 1st time since buying this project.  A #200 main jet will have to do for starters.  I've got an aftermarket open exhaust too - some un-named thing that came on the bike.  

I've managed to turn what should have been a fairly simple "clean it up and get it running" into a total nightmare....  Argh!!  It's got a nice clean rejetted carb now though....

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 11/20/23 at 20:19:27

According to this:

http://www.motocarb.com/vm36-4.html

The intake side of the venturi is 62mm, which is roughly 2.4 inches. I think a 2.5 Inch intake hose would be the size to get, throw a couple worm gear clamps on and call it a day. Guess that's the lunch time project for tomorrow.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #13 - 11/21/23 at 05:29:53

That’s right!  I used 2.5” ID.  Found the leftover piece in the garage after some digging.  I’ll send a pic once I resize it to the website’s limit.  The nice thing is that it also fits almost perfectly on the air box end as well.  Yup, a couple worm gears does the trick beautifully!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #14 - 11/21/23 at 06:18:37

Photo of the silicone turbo tube.  I bought this material because it's gasoline resistant.

Turbo_Tube_Intake_jpg.jpeg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 07:25:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mikuni VM36 rebuild kits?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.