Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Should I go get this tomorrow ? ... ?? (Read 144 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Should I go get this tomorrow ? ... ??
Reply #15 - 11/17/23 at 03:13:37

I have seen a couple of fellows with "Too Much" luggage.  One time I stopped into Mo's Kickstand Lodge to say "HI", and just as I was leaving a fellow pulled in with a fully loaded Harley and when he came to a stop he tipped over.....he just could not hold up the bike with all that luggage strapped onto the bike.

Top boxes do add weight up high, and they can make the bike top heavy and harder to hold up when stopped.  They can also slow down the handling a bit if you get them loaded down with heavy items.........and in some instances they can upset handling at highway speeds.  My Honda NT700 factory top box had mounts that allowed the box to move a bit left/right when clipped into the mount.....folks say that was done to allow the box to move around a little bit in the air turbulence without shoving the bike with it.  

Most good top boxes clip onto the bike - it is nice to be able to put them on/off to suit your riding needs.  Givi boxes are mounted onto a plate that allows you to just lock the box on when you want to use it.......however the plate does remain on the bike and is noticeable.  Givi boxes are expensive - however I have been able to find very nice used ones at affordable prices on Craigslist or eBay.  Riders change their minds or sell bikes often - so the boxes come up for sale often.  

Maybe you should put on the side boxes.....and explore the options for a soft luggage that can go onto Marcia's seat when she is not going.  They make luggage that clips onto the backrest to help it stay in place.

bag.PNG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #16 - 11/17/23 at 05:59:27

Dave wrote on 11/17/23 at 03:13:37:
Maybe you should put on the side boxes.....and explore the options for a soft luggage that can go onto Marcia's seat when she is not going.  They make luggage that clips onto the backrest to help it stay in place.

I prefer a tail bag (soft luggage) to a top box.   A top box just looks ugly to me, and sits too high.  I kick my leg to the back to get on and off.  Top box would get in the way.

A tail bag will come off just as quick.. maybe too quick if you are worried about theft.  But, you can rig a lockable cable to deter theft.
Then again, my needs are different.  CFO will never ride with me.  
For short rides, saddle bags hold enough.  For long rides, I toss on the tail bag.  Tail bag is nice for me as it hold most of the stuff I like to take, and it can move easily between the bikes.

Dave, I like the look of that Rhinowalk bag. My tail bag is getting a bit long in the tooth.   I might get one of those!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #17 - 11/17/23 at 07:08:06

Hay , that's a nice looking bag !  

I'll tell ya what I've done :

I ordered the Seat w/Back-rest from RE
I ordered the Touring windshield from RE
I ordered the Givi Mono key side cases frames made for this bike
I've already got two extra sets of Segway side bags. (caught them on sale and shipping was the same for three pairs as for one pair.)  One pair is on the 350 Meteor.  

When I had the Guzzi :
It was top heavy to begin with and it was light (412#).  So with weight in the TOP BOX and Marcia on too it was really top-heavy !  Roll Eyes  
How much you ask ?   Well , enough to want to topple over if it got even a little bit off center.  I had lots of close calls on it.  
With no luggage and ridding solo it was GREAT !   Wink

So
This time I decided to keep the weight down low as possible , but like the ride to Texas in April , I'll want to bring a tent/sleeping bag/bed-mat/camping chair ...     Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #18 - 11/17/23 at 18:04:30

True story.  A good friend once rode his loaded up Fat Boy to the dealer to get a battery.  The shop owner looked at him and said, "Mr. Dutton, you ride that thing like a touring bike,  Why don't you get one?"

Grin

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #19 - 11/17/23 at 18:42:00

Well Ohio did Mr. Dutton , get himself a Road Glide ?

I'm too old to get a heavy bike , and back when I could of had one of them I was having too much fun on a 380 pound single cylinder.

The four hundred pound bike is my cup of tea.  My new one is a touch heavy at about 240kg. , but that is for sure the upper limit.
I give a hoot about fuel millage too , 60mpg or above.   I have had a few of those 40mpg bikes ... but heck !!! my car gets 40mpg .  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #20 - 11/17/23 at 19:39:09

Oh yeah, he got the bike that day!  It was an Ultra Classic and he is still riding them 30 years later.

« Last Edit: 11/19/23 at 19:01:03 by ohiomoto »  
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #21 - 11/19/23 at 09:09:33

I like the lighter bikes , they give me back some youth. I’m able to give a lighter bike more body english , where as a quarter ton bike just tires me out faster , not less fun to ride , just makes me feel old not being able to throw the sportster around like I used to. New challenges will arise when the 250 gets built! Will the tracker be too heavy ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #22 - 11/19/23 at 11:23:15

Ruttly wrote on 11/19/23 at 09:09:33:
I like the lighter bikes , they give me back some youth. I’m able to give a lighter bike more body english , where as a quarter ton bike just tires me out faster , not less fun to ride , just makes me feel old not being able to throw the sportster around like I used to. New challenges will arise when the 250 gets built! Will the tracker be too heavy ?

NOPE

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #23 - 11/19/23 at 17:47:26

where as a quarter ton bike just tires me out faster , not less fun to ride , just makes me feel old not being able to throw the sportster around like I used to. New challenges will arise when the 250 gets built! Will the tracker be too heavy ?  

Hay Ruttly

You get the Tracker in the truck and take it to Kerrville in April and I'll bring the Meteor 350 .   It will be good to putt putt around at 55 to 65 mph on the high end !  
Actually , I prefer the lower speed stuff but thats not to say I don't enjoy a nice tight twisty sprint once in a while !  Smiley

« Last Edit: 11/19/23 at 18:48:55 by MMRanch »  

springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #24 - 11/22/23 at 08:18:24

Hey MM, where's the pictures. Show us the new bike.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #25 - 11/22/23 at 14:34:02

I'm so Sorry !   I forgot all about pictures ... Here is the Generic picture of the one I got :

I've got a bike cover over it to keep the cats off it and its near dark outside already today.    
Marcia is not interested in ridding it till I get the Touring seat and Back rest on it .  
I've ordered :
The Seat and Back-Rest
The Windshield
The Heal-Toe Shifter (350 Meteor came with one (I'm Spoiled to it now))
The Givi Side-Case Mounts
The Full size Crash Bar.

Most of them are due to be here about the middle of Dec. so maybe I'll be used to the new machine by spring ?     It's 530 pounds wet but it don't feel much heavier than the 350 Meteor.

astral_blue_2_001.png

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 09:37:57

General CategoryThe Cafe › Should I go get this tomorrow ? ... ??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.