2024 Rides (Read 3002 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Re: 2024 Rides
Reply #240 - 02/07/24 at 08:31:36

ThumperPaul has definitely been living is Texas for a while. He told it like it is!!!

Had not ridden much for a while due to weather but have ridden to work each day so far this week. Hard to believe how quickly you can get out of motorcycle riding shape. Working on it now though. Need to be in shape for April. Shocked

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #241 - 02/07/24 at 18:55:12

You are Sooo Righttt Springman !  

I try to get a ride in everyday unless its rainy or Realllly Cold .  Even if its only round the Country Block  (5 to 10 mile loop).

The electric gloves make a lot of difference !   I put the two prong 12 volt battery tender plug on the 12 volt gloves and it makes them work too good sometimes !  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403041168508?hash=item5dd7202c7c:g:6NkAAOSwR3JlbKLh&...

I've got a pair of these I've used for (3) three years now and I have to turn them on and off as I speed up and slow down. https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/6NkAAOSwR3JlbKLh/s-l1600.webp

« Last Edit: 02/08/24 at 20:07:32 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #242 - 02/19/24 at 19:10:09

I have a heated liner for one of my jackets, but I've never used it.  I don't like the cold!  Period!  Born in Minnesota and dad kept moving us south until we hit Texas.  Dad hated the cold.  When he died in 1995 we found out through discovery that he had bought 5 acres in the middle of nowhere in Mexico.  Mom didn't even know.  We still don't know what he was up to...

My wife says we need to go to the Bent Rim Grill.  That was one of her favorite burger joints when she used to ride with her crazy Twisted Sisters friends.  Wife hung up her helmet about 12 years ago.  She was just done.... no incident or anything...  just done...

IMG_3601.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #243 - 02/19/24 at 19:17:28

My wife was way wilder than me in our younger days!  She's probably ridden over 20,000 miles in Texas alone.  Her first bike was a brand new '79 HD Sportster 1000.  Not a great year for an AMC HD...forget oil changes...just add oil as needed.  She put a larger gas tank on it.  The small tank interrupted her Zen.

IMG_3600.jpeg
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #244 - 02/20/24 at 20:25:29

Paul ... You MARRIED one of the original  "Twisted Sisters"  !   Cool  

Maybe you should ask her to pick up Biking again ... I mean ... how can she not miss taking a lap or two around the block once in a while ?  Wink

Maybe something less than a HD this time , it's still the same grin no matter which brand or size it comes from !  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #245 - 02/21/24 at 06:00:52

LOL MM!  You’re right!!  I think she is one of the Original Twisted Sisters!  Funny thing is she is 1 of 3 sisters and they are each “very unique” (eh hem).  I have tried to get her to ride again, and nope!  When she says “she’s done”, she’s done.  No looking back!

She has mentioned a 3-wheeler a couple times, but she knows it’s not the same and a totally different ride and re-learning experience.  We’ve basically talked ourselves out of that.  She is warming up to my idea of buying a project car (roadster convertible).  I’ve been watching the market for a 2007-2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP or Saturn Redline.  Same car basically except for different skin.  Solstice is more rounded body and European stying and Saturn is sharper edges.  Both have a 2.0L turbo cranking out 260hp/260ft-lb torque at the crank.  Stock.  At the time, it was GM’s highest output per liter.  I think it’s been surpassed by the Corvette now.  GM sandbagged on the first release “tune” and subsequently released a performance ECU tune with upgraded MAP sensors that boosted output to 290hp/340ft-lb torque.  And it didn’t void the warranty!  The Kappa tuner gurus have taken it another level since then - tinkering with the ECU tune and cranking up the turbo boost further.  The stock Gen2 block and internals can handle up to 400hp without breaking stuff.  The clutch in the manual 5-speed needs beefing up, but the 5-speed automatic can handle over 390ft-lb torque (rated to 390).  Without going too crazy on the turbo boost (tune), a lot of owners are hanging out around 375/375.  Cars are doing 0-60 in about 4.0 seconds and in the 12s in the 1/4 mile.  Then there are those that have upgraded to the stronger Gen3 block (up to 500hp) with high performance internals (hi-comp pistons, stronger forged rods/crank, etc), and bigger turbos with more flow/boost.  Some are pushing over 500hp.  For $10-$15k in performance upgrades, they are in the land of $150k exotic car speeds.  I wouldn’t go that far, but 375/375 in a car that only weighs 2,900lbs sounds like fun!  2900/375 gives a weight/power ratio of 7.73.  Shocked. I can dream!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #246 - 02/21/24 at 10:53:40

This is the weather we need in mid-April!

My wife says I need to stay 2-3 nights.   It’s like she wants to get rid of me! I think she and her Twisted Sisters are planning some kind of shenanigans!  She also laughed at me when I said I was going to trailer the bike there.  She did say she wouldn’t get on I-10.  Take the back roads and take my time.  I need to see what Springman is thinking for dates.  Maybe at least ride one way with him and his buddy (and/or brother - can’t remember).

Kerrville_Weather.jpg
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #247 - 02/21/24 at 16:27:22

Head South in the Spring and North and to the Mountains for the Summer !  Smiley
I agree with your wife , never mind the Super Slab ,
But
I'm going over to Lancer's on day one (763 miles one way) so I almost have to take the Super Slab ...
or
make it two days ... but ridding by myself isn't no fun anyway , so I'll just jump I-40 and let it roll !  Wink

ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #248 - 02/21/24 at 17:20:33

Wow!  12+ hours in the saddle in 1 day.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #249 - 02/21/24 at 19:28:03

I've rode that same ride on the S-40 , and it did just fine too .  Wink
Also almost the same ride on an 883 Sportster , and on a Guzzi V7II

Heck one of the most fun rides I can remember was the one where we all went to Lancers for a week !   Smiley Smiley Smiley

The CMA Iron Mountain is not far from Lancer and Paula's place too.

Running 70-75 mph , for a few tanks of fuel !  Smiley    

I suspect the  original rear tire (CEAT brand) will be spent by time I get back from Texas this year.   ?   Huh 

S-40 w/oversize fuel tank and 25toothPully
« Last Edit: 02/21/24 at 21:15:56 by MMRanch »  

0209171427_001.jpg

ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #250 - 02/22/24 at 07:50:46

Nice custom paint job!!  That’s really well done!

You’ve got a big pair of stones doing those kind of miles on the S40 at 70-75mph.  I get white knuckles just going 15-20 minutes at that speed!  And even if I had a wind screen, I don’t think it would make a difference.  

I see you have a front fork brace.  Woody has what appears to be the same kind (TKAT).  I can’t get Woody on the road long enough to know how much the brace actually helps or feels.  My previous Savage and S40 didn’t have wind screens or fork braces, and they felt sketchy over about 65mph buzzing down the road.  The S40 had new Dunlop D404 tires and the Savage had older Michelin Commander II.  I honestly can’t say I felt or noticed a difference in the tires - but I’m not Grand Prix riding them either.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #251 - 02/23/24 at 07:14:04

Good Morning

Hay Paul

Before I got a fork brace things were different !   Just about time I'd get leaned way down into a turn ,the front forks would get kinda "wobbled kneaded" .  for lack of a better term !   Grin

Paul , the 25 tooth front pulley makes a difference also !    The higher gear results in No More Wheelies , but it sure relaxes things out on the road !    There was a guy from Florida (Carl) that took a S-40 and put a fuel tank off a Yamaha 650 and the taller gearing on his bike and ran up and down the east coast visiting his kids for a few years.   We haven't heard from him in a while but he dropped by my house a couple of times for a bunk and visit.
I got tired of the low fuel millage my S-40 was giving me and sold it but thinking back on it , I wonder if the valves were just a little tight ?   I'll never know but the seat had a worn through spot and I was ready for a different experience anyway ... The bike I replaced it with is just a new
" High MPG "  version of the same thing with only a few less HP.   It took a little doing to add a few Horses to it ... but ... it feels like a Savage out on the road and it's all OK anyway.  

If it's raining when I get ready to leave for Lancer's in April ... I'll put this one in the truck rather than ridding the 650 twin version of it.   The "Rake Angle" is a little less than the Savage's but Feel's the same.  Smiley

LowPxBlueBell.jpg

springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #252 - 02/26/24 at 10:11:09

Hey ThumperPaul,

Have not decided for sure yet but suspect we will ride to Kerrville rather than load on pick up. If that is the case I will be on the Honda as it provides the extra oomph for the highway. We (brother-in-law and I) will leave Sunday the 14th in the morning and the ride will be a good 7 hours or so including fuel and restroom breaks. We can figure a place to meet up if you like and ride in together. I have gone via I-10 and also via HWY 290. We can take a look at maps and figure out what works well for all of us if you like.

Look forward to meeting you.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #253 - 02/26/24 at 11:13:38

Hey Springman.  I'm now leaning towards trailering my bike there.  Several reasons.  We still have some time decide.  Look forward to meeting everyone myself!

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #254 - 02/27/24 at 08:29:51

No worries. Trailering is probably the easiest and fastest way to get there.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 38
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 14:56:00

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2024 Rides

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.