Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lost Head bolt/exhaust manifold bolt enroute! (Read 97 times)
ChadaNelson
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lost Head bolt/exhaust manifold bolt enroute!
10/31/23 at 13:05:13

I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else before?  I noticed loud muffler noise on way home and found that the bolt had fallen out somewhere on the road.  My bike is fairly new, just recently passed 10k miles on it.

Maybe the bolt wasn't torqued enough at the factory?

Well, I was wondering if I need to replace the gasket as well or just get a replacement bolt and bolt it down?  I've already ordered the bolt (Suzuki 09104-08026) online.

20231031_120235_1.jpg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Lost Head bolt/exhaust manifold bolt enroute!
Reply #1 - 10/31/23 at 17:31:17

Not much torque holding it in, everything needs to be checked every so often.

Exhaust                        N-m      |      ft-lb
pipe clamp bolts      18.0      28.0      |      13.3      20.6

WWW   IP Logged
ChadaNelson
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/31/23 at 23:59:48

Makes sense I guess.  What other bolts should you check periodically.  Or is there a list somewhere?  It'd be handy info to have.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 11/01/23 at 05:02:51

Looks like you lost the nut and stud.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 11/01/23 at 05:24:45

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 11/01/23 at 05:02:51:
Looks like you lost the nut and stud.

The stock header attachment is a bolt (no stud).  It is a fancy bolt with an acorn shaped top and it is chrome plated.

I have never lost one - when I install them I put on some never seize and just snug them down with one hand on a 1/4" drive ratchet....they should be snug - not tight!  After a few rides I will check it for tightness by using the same 1/4" ratchet.....if it feels tight I leave it alone. (Checking tightness does not mean you need to turn the bolt and tighten it more - it means you apply about the same amount of pressure that you used the first time, and if it doesn't move leave it alone).  I do believe that the never seize helps to prevent the bolt from coming loose once it sets up - but for certain it also helps to prevent the bolt from corroding or galling and helps prevent it from getting stuck permanently.

If you doubt how tight it should be - you can use a small torque wrench that is suitable for low torque values.  Don't try to use a 150 lb torque wrench as they are just to big to accurately torque to small values.  My Craftsman 150 ft/lb torque wrench won't give me a reliable clicks for anything under 40 ft/lbs.....maybe other brands are better.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 11/01/23 at 09:02:45

I use a stud , torque nut to spec and then add another nut as a locknut. No problems so far. Ain’t as purdy as stock chrome bolt , but it’s still there.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #6 - 11/01/23 at 17:33:51

IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #7 - 11/01/23 at 20:27:29

Happened to me once on my '03' when I first got it. I went to hardware store and bought a stainless bolt to keep the bike rolling until I got back to shop. Got a OEM replacement from dealer, installed it and torqued it and haven't had a problem since. Never happened on the newer S40. That said when I installed the new OEM bolt I applied some anti-seize and torqued it and it has been good since. I did re-torque the S40 when I got it and haven't had a problem.

To be honest, I ride the S40 about 20 percent of miles and the '03' LS about 30 percent of time and my Honda Fury the other 50%. Combined my Savages get about a 1000 miles a year, so problems are slow to develop.

I think big thing is to use some anti-seize and assure torque is correct. In end it is a steel bolt into aluminum, and expansion coefficients are different so everything you do to assure good tight fit is important. Anti-seize helps with heat discrepancies.

IP Logged
ChadaNelson
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 11/01/23 at 21:56:39

Thanks for all the input everyone!  I'm assuming never seize and ant-seize are the same thing, right?

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #9 - 11/01/23 at 22:19:06

Yup

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 11/03/23 at 20:57:05

I have a feeling a lot of bolts on these bikes are not of a high grade. Whenever I buy bolts, I get class 10.9 for metric or grade 8 for imperial when I intend to use them for automotive application. These decorative cheap chrome plated bolts on the S40 exhaust look really cheap. You might want to upgrade them with this kit, works much better.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063RHGFG

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #11 - 11/06/23 at 05:57:54

I disagree with this statement. The hardware used on the S40 is appropriate for the application. Just swapping hardware for the highest grade doesn't make any sense at all. Have you done the Rockwell analysis and determined the necessary yield to achieve the proper torque? Obviously that question is over the top, but that's how hardware selection is done by the OEM. The "strongest" bolt isn't necessarily the best bolt, and sometimes it could be the absolute worst decision.

Regarding the pitting of the chrome, I've seen plenty of Mercedes, Porsche's and other high-end cars with pitted chrome. Chrome must be cared for BEFORE it begins to pit. If you start caring for it once it shows signs of environmental damage, your are behind the curve.

« Last Edit: 11/06/23 at 12:25:55 by Gary_in_NJ »  

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/11/24 at 16:06:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lost Head bolt/exhaust manifold bolt enroute!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.