Send Topic Print
Heat issues?? (Read 74 times)
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Heat issues??
10/24/23 at 19:28:36

Hi guys.
My 86 feels a little hot to me. It might just be me, and we are coming into summer here in Australia, but it just feels hotter than usual.
I have a oil fill port temp gauge that has only ever gone over 100c once after a 1 hour highway run then suddenly getting stuck in traffic for 5 mins.
What can I do to ensure I'm not running to hot ?

Running a pwk airstriker 38mm with ddj needle at position 3

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Heat issues??
Reply #1 - 10/30/23 at 19:52:03

Look at your spark plug , lean  or rich
Or just perfect ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 11/01/23 at 15:17:06

You might wanna consider installing some instrumentation.  I have a cylinder head temp meter installed on a head stud (the one that runs into the exhaust port from underneath), and an oil temp meter installed in my oil pump discharge.  The CHT generally runs about 300 to 320F, and the oil temp generally runs about 200 to 210F.  If your temps run much hotter than mine, you could switch to an E series slide needle.  An EGK works good in mine.

TraiTech instruments are reasonably priced and easy to install.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 11/01/23 at 16:26:04

running too hot is difficult to know exactly what is too hot?

probably the most sensitive to heat is your oil at about 300 F depending on type.

100 C is only 212 F

I have a trail tech temp meter on the forward facing oil port on the case.
I got stuck in a traffic jam and I shut it off when it reached 300 F.
I have heard oil boiling in the head before and I would think that would have been more detrimental but that did not happen at this time.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 11/02/23 at 04:20:26

Here is a link to the TrailTech temperature gauge.  It is simple to install as it works "ALL" the time and never shuts off.  You stick the unit somewhere that you can read it, and run the wire down to the engine and mount the sensor.  I have mine located on the right rear cylinder head stud - as it is the easiest to access......mine reads a bit lower than DragBikeMike's as his is on the stud near the exhaust port and mine is on the rear near the intake port.  The temperature on mine runs around 240 degrees on calm rides in normal temps.....up around 270 when running 70mph on 90 degree days.  Once when stuck in traffic and once when crawling up a steep gravel road in 1st gear in 95+ temperatures the gauge got to 300.

The easiest bolts to access for the sensor would be the studs under the intake or exhaust ports.

The one downside to the Trailtech is that the battery cannot be replaced.  It is supposed to last about 5+ years - then it stops working and you just remove it and throw it away....shame it cannot be hardwired or the battery replaced.

https://www.trailtech.net/en-us/shop/accessories/digital-gauges/tto-mini-gaug...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 11/02/23 at 08:49:48

That’s very cool Dave. With over a 100 trains passing thru town a day I know just what what you guys are talking about. Often I’ll wait but my legs get that heat first , I just turn and go to keep her cool. That 300 degree mark is as hot as I want with an air cooled engine. I got enough do dads on my bike now with gps & voltmeter , but it can be installed and removed after data is achieved.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 17:01:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Heat issues??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.