Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hello from Denmark (Read 137 times)
FinnHammer

Denmark
Hello from Denmark
10/26/23 at 12:19:04

My name is Finn Hammer, from Denmark, my Savage is a vintage 88 with 15K on the clock. I bought it just a month ago.

This place is a gem, the bike had covered the full 15K miles with a maladjusted carburettor, decellerating crackle and the occational embarassing caboom. This was cured by raising the needle the full spacer, thanks to suzukisavage.com, thank you all very much!

As a young man I was totally into bikes. that was 1970 to 75, then I stopped simply because I felt certain I would kill myself one day in a challenging corner. There were no speed limits back then and I thought I was Michael Hailwood.
Now, 47 years later, I feel moderately sure I can controll myself, and refrain from cornering at 45+ degrees, provided that I can still experience the thrill of accelleration.
I rode 2-stroke twins in the day, Yamaha YDS250, later a Kawasaki A7SS and I secretly coveted a BSA Gold Star.
I intend to modify my Savage to meet the performance of the Goldie, ride it as a Bobber but with clubman handlebars.
As you see I have a fair workshop, I am a retired toolmaker, and the thing on the floor is a 6-turbine, 9.6kW custom vacuum cleaner engine which I will use in the case that I have the gumption to do flow bench work.
The DR650 cam, as well as the associated rockers are already aquired.
The clutch slips so new plates have been ordered and Steven Lindmarks release cams are on the way.
Lancers carburettor is on the way too, and finally I am going to build the High flo quiet muffler.
What is left is the port work, which I am looking forward to doing.
So far so good. What you see else in the pic. is a Fusion reactor, some Tesla coils and a lathe, That pretty mush defines my hobbies.
Cheers, Finn Hammer

20231026_123632.jpg

An expert is a person who has made all possible mistakes within a narrow field - Niels Bohr
WWW   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Re: Hello from Denmark
Reply #1 - 10/26/23 at 12:29:36

Good for you Finn. But where's the picture?

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #2 - 10/26/23 at 12:30:28

I see it now. Weird, that was. Shocked
Keep us posted.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 10/26/23 at 16:00:05

Welcome aboard Finn.  Hang on to that 4-speed gear set.  You will need it if you get carried away with your flow bench.

You have an exceedingly nice workshop.  What exactly is a "Fusion Reactor" and is it somehow related to the Tesla coils?  I marked up your picture.
Could you tell us what items 1, 2 & 3 are?  

Best regards,

Mike

Finns_Garage_Markup.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #4 - 10/26/23 at 23:19:35

Springman,
The attachment did not show up when I posted, possibly because it exeded the maximum size.
Aafter a resize, in edit post mode, it uploaded fine.

Cheers, Finn Hammer

An expert is a person who has made all possible mistakes within a narrow field - Niels Bohr
WWW   IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #5 - 10/27/23 at 00:42:41

Mark,

A fusion Reactor, or "Fusor" is a vessel, in which it is possible to fuse Deuterium molecules into Helium, and in the process release Neutrons.
I will see if I can attach a better picture later, right now I get the: "      NOTICE: If you had an attachment in your post, you will need to reselect the attachment again in the browse box for security reasons" message which is confusing since I don't know what the browsw box is.
Anyway, when the Fusor is spitting out neutrons, it is possible to temporarily activate various metals to make them radioactive. Silver is a good example, when irradiated it decays back to normal in around 10 minutes. That is nuclear experimentation for the layman.
The thing on the floor is the vacuum cleaner motor. 6 1.6kW turbines mounted on each side of a 1'x1'x1' cube. PWM regulated in 22 steps, it can produce a magnificent flow. I assume it will be sufficient to flow test the head.
The first thing you circled is the base of a Tesla coil, one of the musical variety.  It can do things like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwL5AGscI80
and this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i5hO4Na22c

Cheers, Finn Hammer

20231026_123640.jpg

WWW   IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #6 - 10/27/23 at 00:48:31

All,
For the moment I can only figure out how to attach one file at the time, so here is the Fusor pic.
The fusor itself is the small cube furthest up in the picture, the rest, inside the frame is supporting equipment, such as vacuum pumps, valves, deuterium delivery system, couple of power supplies and vacuum gauges.
Low in the front is part of the high voltage system, a C-W multiplier which, driven by the switching supply, delivers up to 75kV @35mA.
Cheers, Finn Hammer

20231027_091231.jpg

WWW   IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #7 - 10/27/23 at 08:14:10

For what need do you have to have a personal fusion reactor in your garage??!!   Shocked

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 10/27/23 at 10:55:52

Greetings , You have some very cool toys. A Savage is such a low tech bike. You very clearly have more than what is needed as far as skills are concerned to build whatever you want. I’m very curious as to why you ended up here. Whatever the reason , welcome and I’m sure we can help if needed.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 10/28/23 at 02:01:26

Wow!

"I assume it will be sufficient to flow test the head."

Yes, you will definitely have sufficient flow.  I don't know how you will power the thing.  My garage circuit is 20 amps, and it can barely run two shop vacs.  After about ten minutes the breaker pops.  Three shop vacs pop the breaker instantly.  When I'm testing a head, I have to run one shop vac off the garage circuit, and the other off the washing machine 20 amp circuit.  Even with two vacs, I am pretty much limited to 15" H2O test pressure on the intake port.  You must have electrical service that is off the hook.  How many amps does it pull and what gage wire are you using in the supply circuit?

Not sure I fully understand, but sounds like you can select 20 different speeds.  Do I have that correct?

That Tesla coil setup looks scary.  Lovin the way you suit up to go play with the thing.  Do you wear welding goggles inside that suit?

I draw the line at the "Fusor".  I don't have a lead suit.  Crazy.  You're into some cool stuff Finn.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #10 - 10/28/23 at 04:48:09

TheSneeze:
Building the fusion reactor seemed like the logical path after many years of investigating and building Tesla coils, and I basically did it to see if I could. Since I started meddling with high voltage power electronics, I wanted to try my hand at building a high voltage switching power supply, and that is the part of the project that gave me most satisfaction.
Ruttly:
Thank you for your kind words. Why I ended up here?
Since I bought me a Savage, I naturally want to know "all" about it, and this place soon stuck out in Google searches. I have not been disappointed.
DragBikeMike:
This is Denmark, and we have 3-phase 240V 16A as standard even in residential areas, so plenty power for long arcs and even suction power.
The vac is home built, I wanted me the shop vac that cannot be bought. 6 turbines. 2 on each phase. They are regulated by phase angle triac controllers. These controllers have their discrete potentiometers replaced by a 3-ganged rotary switch attenuator.
Each turbine draws 7A at full speed. 7x240x6 = 10.080kW
Pulling a vacuum on a fully closed throat, it pulls 0.7ATM = 122" H2O, and I think this is pretty much the stall pressure of a vacuum cleaner turbine, so no surprise here.
I made a quick lashup inlet "sortofequivalent": A baffle with 2 Ø33mm holes blanked off with a piece of G10, raised 9mm off the surface of the holes.
This resulted in a pressure of 0.8 Atm, or 81" H2O.
See the picture.
How do you measure pressure? We better use the same methods to get comparable numbers.
Yes, I have 20 steps on the attenuator, so 20 different speeds.

Cheers, Finn Hammer

20231028_132653.jpg

WWW   IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #11 - 10/28/23 at 09:03:51

And here I get excited when I poke a 1-15/32" hole in a block of aluminum...

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #12 - 10/28/23 at 10:53:15

TheSneeze wrote on 10/28/23 at 09:03:51:
And here I get excited when I poke a 1-15/32" hole in a block of aluminum...

You guys all impress me.

laughing-emoji-3d-emoticon-isolated-on-white-background-vector.jpg

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #13 - 10/29/23 at 02:12:05

Again, WOW!

You are way out of my league Finn.  I'm pretty sure you will end up with a cylinder head that flows much better than anything I have come up with.  Please keep us all posted on your progress.

Most of what you are saying is too advanced for me to understand.  When you use the value "0.7 ATM" do you mean 0.7 atmospheres?  I'm confused.  Best as I can figure, one atmosphere is 14.7 psi which is equivalent to about 407 inches H2O.  So, 0.7 atmospheres should be around 285 inches H2O.  What am I missing here?

I use water manometers on my crude little flow bench.  A 36" U-tube manometer to measure the test pressure, and a 7" inclined manometer to measure the differential across the test orifice.  My stuff isn't calibrated so I don't collect valid flow numbers, but the percentage of flow across the orifice is probably pretty accurate.  If Im using a 42.38mm orifice on a stock head and I record a flow value of 65% on the inclined manometer, and then I modify the port and observe a flow value of 80% on the inclined manometer at the same test pressure, I think the 15% improvement is probably valid.  I just don't know for sure how may cubic feet per minute.  It's a comparative tool, not a calibrated measuring instrument.  Based on your comments, I'm thinkin you intend to actually capture some valid flow numbers.

That contraption you built should be able to suck the chrome off a bumper hitch.  What test pressure are you shooting for?  As I previously metioned, I'm pretty much confined to 15" H2O.  You should be able to test at 28".  That bad boy is gonna howl.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #14 - 10/29/23 at 02:27:31

Mike, all:

I need to apologise about my comments on flow and pressures, I had only a vague idea about what a test bench really contains in detail. I will read up on that and get back with some more qualified stuff.
Mike, I am sure you are the expert here, and I am the novice. The latter is 100% fer sure.
Pressure units are a nightmare, to mention a few: Pascal, Torr, Bar, Microns, mmHg, mmH2o,  and the list goes on.
When I wrote the conversion from fraction of atmospheric to inches of water, I used an online converter, and obviously without checking the result. I am not used to using inches, and have no intuitive visualisation of the result, so I just wrote it, but you are correct, it is indeed285 inches. Anyway, I will read up on flow bench construction and theory, and blend in with the methods and units commonly used.

Cheers, Finn Hammer

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 15:44:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hello from Denmark

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.