Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New oil leak between carb and header (Read 89 times)
BeeBux
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New oil leak between carb and header
10/24/23 at 14:28:35

i noticed a small oil slick coming from this spot tucked in behind the carburetor boot (see pic). Only seems to be on the right side. What’s back there that would develop a leak?

IMG_2200_Medium.jpeg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: New oil leak between carb and header
Reply #1 - 10/24/23 at 20:48:45

on the front is the dreaded head bolt plug.
it'll leak and the wind will push it back to there.

WWW   IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/24/23 at 20:52:11

depending on your bike,, it might have the older style plug, there is an updated version that is a stiffer compound, and with a small amount of sealant, mine isn't prone to leaking. Then there is the better machined plug available from this site

IP Logged
BeeBux
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/25/23 at 03:23:42

Is this fix a head cover removal or a head removal job? Just a little oil here and there I can live with but would want to fix it if it’s a progressive issue. Thanks for the replies.

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #4 - 10/25/23 at 03:36:55

Yep

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 10/25/23 at 09:20:21

Moarpower wrote on 10/24/23 at 20:52:11:
depending on your bike,, it might have the older style plug, there is an updated version that is a stiffer compound, and with a small amount of sealant, mine isn't prone to leaking. Then there is the better machined plug available from this site

When I took my 2007 apart in 2013 to install the Wiseco piston, cam and do head porting.....I installed the new and improved Suzuki head plug (Verslagen was not yet making his aluminum plug with O ring seals yet).  It worked for about 5 years, then mysteriously it started leaking on one trip to ride in the mountains of TN...it leaked pretty good for a bit, then thankfully stopped.

When I returned home I took the bike apart and installed a Verslagen aluminum plug.  It has been about 5 years and I have no new leaks.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #6 - 10/25/23 at 18:06:24

My experience is half of Dave's.  

Like Dave, the replacement OEM plug I installed in my bike started leaking after a few years.  

Unlike Dave, I haven't installed the Varsy plug I purchased a few years ago.  Embarrassed

I do recall the newer OEM plug being a little different than the original plug, and while it is leaking, it hasn't worsened since it started.  A good pressure wash every 3-4 weeks is enough to keep it clean.  The first plug was a gusher.   It dumped oil down both side panels within 100 miles of riding.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 10/25/23 at 20:08:54

1 of the problems with the oem plug is that it has no way to take up the tolerance between the head and cover.
So with the varying gap, it can vibrate up and down causing it to wear until it's loose.

WWW   IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #8 - 10/26/23 at 05:57:04

That's a very good point verslagen1.  

Correct me if I am wrong, but the plug you designed is held in place by the head cover, whereas the OEM unit is held in by friction and a small amount of sealant.  

If this is true, one could fashion a spacer that holds the OEM unit in place. Maybe a piece of plastic or aluminum dowl rod. It might be a little tricky to get the length just right.  If it's too long, it could damage the plug or push it out the bottom.  Too short and it won't hold the plug in place.  AND...if that spacer were to get loose...look out!!  

I'll stick with your spacer because it's simply a better design and it's convenient.  It can't back out or get pushed through the bottom of the hole, and the o-rings are replaceable if you ever do a rebuild.   It is the perfect solution IMO and I am so glad you came up with your solution.  Thank you for that.

But, I do think someone could improve the function of the OEM unit if they were smart about it.  Maybe something to keep in mind in the event your plugs are no longer available.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 10/26/23 at 07:23:51

ohiomoto wrote on 10/26/23 at 05:57:04:
Correct me if I am wrong, but the plug you designed is held in place by the head cover, whereas the OEM unit is held in by friction and a small amount of sealant.

the oem plug is trapped between the head and cover but it is a solid piece and has to allow the head cover to fully seat on the head with varying amounts of rtv and mfg tolerance. plus once age sets in the plug may not be able to fill the gap itself. as to filling the gap... new plugs are solid so maybe add rtv to the top?

my plug is double sealed, an oring in the bore and 1 under the head of the plug filling the gap between the head and cover.

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #10 - 10/26/23 at 15:46:18

"If this is true, one could fashion a spacer that holds the OEM unit in place. Maybe a piece of plastic or aluminum dowl rod. It might be a little tricky to get the length just right."

Ohio, like this?  Been using this for years.  Use the same old head plug over & over.  Never leaks.  Not as cool as the Versy item, but functional.  I think the stock setup comes loose due to the constantly pulsating crankcase pressure.  This stongback stops that.

Strongback_for_Head_Plug.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 10/27/23 at 05:12:29

When I put mine together with the newer style Suzuki plug, I dropped a rubber hole plug inside the cavity in the Suzuki head plug.  The length was sufficient to provide a light bit of pressure when the head cover was installed.  I thought I would never have a leak......but 6 years later it began to leak badly while on the first morning ride of a 3 day trip .  Thankfully it stopped leaking for the rest of the trip......I replaced it with a Verslagen plug when I got home.

I don't know why it started leaking.....or why it stopped - but the fact that it jeopardized a trip was enough to make me lose confidence in the Suzuki part.  I don't like driving 7 hours to the mountains to discover I have a repair that requires removal of the head cover to fix!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #12 - 10/27/23 at 12:15:46

Come on Dave , where’s your sense of adventure ? While it may have ruined the rest of your trip , you were safe and with friends. Mechanical things fail , it can’t be helped. I know the feeling of loosing faith in your bike , I fix it , then it’s a new bike once again. I have only a few friends in this area that ride but all have jobs and family , so almost every ride I  ride alone. A couple hand tools and a can of gas and my cel phone and ride off into the unknown. One time I was riding with friends to Laguna Seca for the Grand Prix and my SR 500 lost a piston 45 miles from home , but we got my bike home at we all still got there at different times and by different means. Still had a great time. I believe it’s just part of motorcycling , sometimes you just don’t complete the ride and it is frustrating , but such as life , your new adventure has just begun. If I felt that way I would never ride out of town. I’ll be sure to write a good story next time , my ride gets cut short. Maybe it’s just a different outlook on things. I still hate pushing !!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/11/24 at 21:15:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New oil leak between carb and header

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.