Send Topic Print
Picked up a new toy! (Read 69 times)
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Picked up a new toy!
10/07/23 at 18:57:21

Just added a fifth bike to my stable. I currently have my humble 2013 Savage S40, a 2022 KTM 690 SMC-R, a 2015 Yamaha V Star 950, and a 1967 Yamaha YCS1 180.

The Savage is my first bike, and even though I lately seldom ride it I will never let it go. We've had many occasions of very intimate copulation, I'd feel like a traitor if I were to ever sell it.

My YCS1 is an old bike, and it's an absolute hoot to terrorize the neighborhood. The two stroker is a screamer, Greta Tunberg seethes as she hears and smells it from across the ocean when I'm ripping it around my neighborhood.  Grin

My KTM 690 is my daily bike. I bought it in October of last year, and already have 13k on the clock. An absolutely amazing machine, so versatile and capable. I take it to cut around the traffic here in NYC, I take if for long rides, for spirited rides, mild offroad rides, and several times took it to the track. Dropped it at the track back in July, and we both got up with no damage other than minor scratches, and continued the race.

And then my Big Bertha, the Yamaha Star 950. I mostly ride it two up with my wife, or when I'm going with a group of older riders, most of whom are riding Harleys. It's a somewhat boring machine, but it looks great and with custom seats and tour pack it's pretty comfortable for two people.

So to make a long story short, a couple of weeks ago my wife and I went for a ride on our Yamaha Star 950 with a group of friends, and stopped by a BMW dealership where one of our friends was shopping for a GS. While he was completing his transaction, we walked around just checking out random bikes and gear. We had no intention of getting a new bike, just merely looking around.

But then I hopped onto the BMW K1600 GTL. Wow. Just sitting on it the difference in ergonomics and overall feel compared to our Yamaha was striking. Despite being a good ~150lbs heavier it actually felt substantially lighter. The placement of the footpegs immediately released the strain from my back that I get with classic feet forward cruisers. When my wife hopped on the back, she started making vigorous orgasm noises. She was absolutely shocked at how comfortable it felt compared the Yamaha. And when we are riding our Yamaha two up, I can definitely feel her weight in the back, but on the GTL it felt as if she wasn't even there. Right there and then we have decided to sell the Yamaha and get the GTL.

The dealer had gotten a 2018 GTL with 7800 miles in their inventory, and I have just purchased it today. The bike is in excellent condition, the original owner had bought it from that same dealer and always had it serviced there. I have not had a chance to take it for a ride, it's been raining all day, so I will only pick it up from the dealer on Tuesday. I'm obviously anxious and can't wait to bring it home.

And if anyone is looking for a good deal on a Yamaha Star 950, PM me, I'd love for it to be in good hands when it sells.

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Re: Picked up a new toy!
Reply #1 - 10/07/23 at 23:41:48

How would a 79 year old with skinny arms push either one of these into a garage, let alone swing a leg over? Enjoy your rides, a bit over my limit, haha!
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 10/08/23 at 03:06:54

Back in October of 2017 my wife and I took a 10 day trip to Tucson for a vacation (celebration of my first retirement from a full time job to a half time job).  I had never ridden a BMW and while we were there we rented a BMW R1200RT for 2 days.

If you had ridden it for an hour or two you would have said:  "Well that is a nice bike" - but after riding it for 2 days I started telling people:  "If I ever buy a luxury car........it will be that motorcycle!".  It was far more comfortable and nice to ride than any other motorcycle I had owned or ridden.  I guess there was a reason that the R1200RT was awarded "Best Sport Touring Bike" for 5 years in a row by Cycle Magazine.

About a year later one of our forum members (Engineer) told me of a nice used 2 year old (2016) bike at a dealer in Wooster, Ohio.  My wife and I went up and looked at it....and bought it!  It was owned by a dealer mechanic who buys a new one every 2 years - so it was in great condition and well maintained.

A couple of year ago a local Harley Owner friend wanted to ride my bike as he had heard good things about the BMW's.  He had been a die hard Harley owner and goes on long rides out west where they regularly put ride 500 miles a day.  He loved riding my BMW and bought one of his own......he told me he wished he had known about the BMW several Harleys ago!

Your K model BMW has a much more comfortable passenger seat than my RT - I am a little fellow and I don't believe I could reliably hold up your big bike, and my RT at 650 pounds is a bit of a challenge for me when the footing is compromised by uneven terrain or slippery footing.

Enjoy your new (used) BMW......I understand the need/want of multiple motorcycles! Wink      

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/08/23 at 09:33:48

The GTL is mostly going to be ridden two up, so passenger comfort was pretty much the #1 priority. The thing with BMW they are ergonomic geniuses. You look at a Harleys and they look far more comfortable with plush seats, but the overall seating position is far worse than BMW. It's the same with BMW cars, if you compare BMW seats to an older Caddy or a Lincoln, the former will look a lot more plush, but the firmer BMW seats are far more supportive and ergonomic, and offer far more comfort.

In a sense I think Harley became a victim of their styling that they can't deviate from so they don't lose all the loyals, but their concept of ergonomics from 100 years ago is just awful. The feet forward controls transfer all the weight from feet to lower back, and it starts to strain pretty bad on longer rides. Just like your friend who wished he bought a BMW several Harleys ago, I too know several people that went from Harleys to BMW adventure bikes and never looked back.

That being said, everyone wants a piece of Harleys cake, even BMW. They too have a Harley knockoff, the R18 - I've sat on it, and its just as awful as Harleys - too low, too heavy, too clumsy. Except Harley styling is actully great, the BMW is nowhere near as elegant.

But then BMWs mostly have the "function before form" mentality. Most of their bikes are not particularly good looking. I'll be the first one to admit that my new GTL looks like.... a giant scooter.  Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 10/08/23 at 18:46:14

Too BIG for me but it sure is PERTY !   Wink

Hope Ya'll stay safe .   Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #5 - 10/10/23 at 12:07:32

Like MM said, too big for me. But beautiful bike. Enjoy it.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/10/23 at 12:30:04

It is a big bike, but feels incredibly light for its size.

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #7 - 10/11/23 at 10:36:28

och wrote on 10/10/23 at 12:30:04:

That's good to hear. While I'm not currently shopping for a replacement for the Vision, the BMW Ks are on the list for when I do. And since the Vision is a 900 pound sport bike that'll soak up highway miles as well, it good to see that a K might be the same.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/11/23 at 12:52:02

sjaskow - FSO wrote on 10/11/23 at 10:36:28:
och wrote on 10/10/23 at 12:30:04:

That's good to hear. While I'm not currently shopping for a replacement for the Vision, the BMW Ks are on the list for when I do. And since the Vision is a 900 pound sport bike that'll soak up highway miles as well, it good to see that a K might be the same.

The K1600 is about 100-150lbs heavier than my Star 950, but feels 100-150lbs lighter.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 22:09:29

General CategoryThe Cafe › Picked up a new toy!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.