Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: MM's new winter gear
Reply #15 - 02/01/24 at 19:58:06

Tocsik

I have learned about "Snow Pants" !   Smiley    Smiley Smiley

Together with a Barclay , heated vest , full face helmet and heated gloves .

So I wear the Snow Pants like regular pants  , if I Really NEED a Sanity Ride and its  COLD   !

I went out for a ride today on the 650 and a buddy from Church who used to ride rode my 350.   The temps got up to 55 deg today with Sunshine.  Wink
He used to have a BSA 441 like this .

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/BSA/BSA%20Victor%20Roasdter.htm

He seemed to think the RE350 was really close to his old bike except for the foot position.    Maybe now that he is retired he'll get back on two wheels again ?    ...   I'm glad I could help .

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 02/02/24 at 03:26:59

I have gathered up some warm riding gear - but for some reason I haven't taken a single cold weather ride this year!

Part of that is because the warm days also seem to be pretty wet.....we have just gotten over an extended period of rain/mist/fog that lasted nearly a week.

I have been in my nice warm garage doing projects for most of January doing projects.  New heater core in my car, made a set of DragBikeMike oil pump gears, insulated my trailer floor, put on a new set of rims and spokes on the Honda Trail 110 to replace the bent rims, cleaned up a cylinder for a 94mm Flat Top Wiseco.  I also worked on 2 of the neighbors generators that had been sitting too long and needed a good carb clean and oil change.

We are still a couple months away from warm riding weather....and the reliably dry part doesn't come until June.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #17 - 02/02/24 at 09:57:52

We are still a couple months away from warm riding weather....and the reliably dry part doesn't come until June.  

Grin Grin Grin

Hay Dave you might need to come visit Southern TN. for a few days before June ?  

I have to ask :   Why the Flat top 94 mm piston ?    Is it higher compression ?    Longer Skirt ?  Lighter ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #18 - 02/02/24 at 10:07:50

MM , I just got him running skeered !

« Last Edit: 02/03/24 at 08:37:31 by Ruttly »  

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #19 - 02/02/24 at 17:25:20

Was gearing up to leave work that day I posted about the warm temps and the main zipper on my riding jacket decided it was the day to give out. Good thing it was warm riding home!

This was a nice Fieldsheer armored textile jacket I've had since about '08. I rarely put in the quilted winter liner but was using the past couple days. I think the extra bulk underneath put too much strain on the old gal.

So, now I need a new jacket. What are y'all using? They can be expensive!

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 02/02/24 at 17:47:06

MMRanch wrote on 02/02/24 at 09:57:52:
I have to ask :   Why the Flat top 94 mm piston ?    Is it higher compression ?    Longer Skirt ?  Lighter ?  

The Wiseco Flat Top piston has a bit more compression, and more importantly it has a tighter quench around the outside diameter of the piston.  This piston was made specifically for the Savage - it is not a DR650 piston being used in the Savage.

So far only DragBikeMike has reported on how well it runs - Lancer has installed one in Rex but has not commented on how it works yet.  DragBikeMike got improved performance and mpg when he installed it.

My existing engine runs really well with a 95mm Wiseco DR650 piston - the pop top Wiseco does work really well in the Savage and is a big improvement over stock.  The stock 8.5:1 compression is upped to 9.2:1 with the 95mm, and I have been able to run 87 octane when I need gas and no 89 or 91 octane is available......I don't believe you will be able to do that with the Wiseco Flat Top piston that has 10.5:1 compression.

I guess the real reason is that I just want to see......not sure yet if I will use the 94mm or the 97mm.  The advantage of the 94mm is you can run a stock head gasket...the 97mm requires a copper head gasket and I just don't have any experience with one yet.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 02/02/24 at 18:17:23

Tocsik wrote on 02/02/24 at 17:25:20:
So, now I need a new jacket. What are y'all using? They can be expensive!

I have bought bargain grade jackets in the past - RevIt, Icon, Fly, Tourmaster...that kind of stuff.  They have worked well for a few seasons.  My RevIt started having the plastic snaps that hold the liner in fail.  My Icon textile jacket started having the red fabric turn "Salmon" color wherever the sun hit the fabric.  So far I like the Fly products for my mesh summer jacket - and the Tourmaster is my heavy winter riding jacket.  I no longer do the 3 season jackets with a rain liner and insulated liner - as they are baggy with the liner out and a bit too snug for adding layers in the winter......and having the waterproof inner liner inside allows your jacket to get soaked on the outside when it rains, and that really doesn't allow you to stay warm.

Last year I saw a used Klim "Blade" jacket in my size for sale on the local Craigslist for $100.  It was black and has Goretex insulation.  It was likely a $500 jacket when bought new.  It is amazing how much nicer this is than my other jackets.  It is good down to about 60 degrees with a long sleeve cotton shirt underneath......you need to add a sweat shirt to ride down into colder weather.  It is waterproof - no need for a rain gear jacket anymore.  I have ridden into the 80's with it and it is fine while you are still moving - once stopped it gets hot inside pretty quickly.  It really is twice the jacket that my other jackets are - both in the sale price and the quality!

So I have a very light Fly mesh jacket for summer, my Klim jacket for weather between 50-80, and a heavy Tourmaster jacket for winter.

If you can afford Klim - it really is a much better product than the others.......I have always been too cheap to buy a new one.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #22 - 02/04/24 at 07:06:30

Thanks Dave. It just so happens the Tour Master Navigator is a steal right now. May not be a super high end piece of gear, but I'm giving it a try for $70.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 02/04/24 at 10:22:26

I love my tour master jett
that looks like the same cut with different pockets
mine is just about aged out, but I already have another.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 00:29:14

General CategoryThe Cafe › MM's new winter gear

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.